Author Topic: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate  (Read 25037 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: The Worst Thing I Ever Ate
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »
My 7th grade history teacher brought in a can of squid or octopus.  I forgot exactly what it was but it was gray, slimy, and tasted awful.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »
My 7th grade history teacher brought in a can of squid or octopus.  I forgot exactly what it was but it was gray, slimy, and tasted awful.

I rest my case.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2010, 06:40:15 AM »
You don't know what you're missing. Raw tuna is to die for, as is raw salmon. Octopus and squid are a little rubbery, but have a decent taste. When PROPERLY prepared, there is no fishy smell or taste. Of course, I like raw beef, too. :yum:

I have a pretty strong will to live, at present. You can die for your raw fish all you like. I'll weep at your funeral.   :tongue:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
Mmmm, fresh sushi.  I think I'm in love. :yum:

Spicy shrimp roll, regular tuna roll, and a California roll.

Sakurabana--downtown Portsmouth.  Ever had LIVE scallops?  Oh yeah--they be AWESOME.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
No!! There's some good catfish places around here.......  :-)

Same here. 
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
I have a pretty strong will to live, at present. You can die for your raw fish all you like. I'll weep at your funeral.   :tongue:

I haven't even ever gotten sick from eating raw fish. Of course, I used to get food poisoning almost weekly from the galley at NAS Norfolk. Military cooks........ :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :tongue: :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »

:puke:

I rest my case.

You cannot compare canned with raw and fresh. Canned often will destroy the fresh taste and look of fresh.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2010, 01:49:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was octopus.  I've prepared and eaten squid and it looked nothing like the slimy, gelatinous glop that came out of this can. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
I haven't even ever gotten sick from eating raw fish. Of course, I used to get food poisoning almost weekly from the galley at NAS Norfolk. Military cooks........ :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :tongue: :fuelfire:

Good point, Thor. You ate at the Naval Air Station galley. Navy cooks.

The worst U.S. military chow I ever had was on a U.S. destroyer., the USS John Hancock. Very curious, since some of the best U.S. chow I've had was in the U.S. Navy Little Creek Amphib Base galley.

When it comes down to it, leadership is what makes the product either good or bad.

Just sayin'.    :uhsure:       

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2010, 08:52:13 PM »
Good point, Thor. You ate at the Naval Air Station galley. Navy cooks.

The worst U.S. military chow I ever had was on a U.S. destroyer., the USS John Hancock. Very curious, since some of the best U.S. chow I've had was in the U.S. Navy Little Creek Amphib Base galley.

When it comes down to it, leadership is what makes the product either good or bad.

Just sayin'.    :uhsure:       

You've never been on a submarine, I take it.  Amphibs serve dog food.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
You've never been on a submarine, I take it.  Amphibs serve dog food.

No, never have, but I've heard the chow on boats is phenomenal. Gotta be -- there ain't no Mickey D's.....

Seriously, great chow helps keep morale up when there ain't no windows to peruse the summer skies.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
Best chow I ever had on a boat was aboard the USNS Kilauea. Of course it was a merchant marine ship...... Two man staterooms for the enlisted folks, too....... Best month I ever had "at sea".....  :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
Do you guys get fresh food in port or do you have to eat whatever they have?

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was octopus.  I've prepared and eaten squid and it looked nothing like the slimy, gelatinous glop that came out of this can. 

Chris, is the only difference between Squid and Octopus just the number of tentacles ?

Are we really sure that these beasts can determine the out come of sporting events.?

If in fact they can do so, how about using them to predict the stock market, elections and the out come of a war.

This is akin to finding a Chrystal ball that accurately fortells the future.

Kind of spooky that you would want to kill and eat that creature.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
LOVE sushi -- all kinds, wrapped either way.  Eel roll, spicy tuna or shrimp roll, tempura rolls, Dragon roll (eel, avocado, cuke), pretty much all of it!  However, nothing with caviar which leads into the WORST thing I've ever eaten.

I was home from college and it was Christmas dinner.  My SIL had received some very expensive caviar (beluga perhaps? I don't remember) from a relative and she and my brother brought it over to my parents' house for hors d'oeuvres. I didn't really want to try it but thought I would to be polite and it was the most godawful stuff I've ever tasted!  I almost pulled a Tom Hanks scene from Big and wiped it out of my mouth with a napkin but I managed to swallow it! :puke: Never again, though!  Other family members liked it so it was my failing, not the caviar's.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline debk

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
LOVE sushi -- all kinds, wrapped either way.  Eel roll, spicy tuna or shrimp roll, tempura rolls, Dragon roll (eel, avocado, cuke), pretty much all of it!  However, nothing with caviar which leads into the WORST thing I've ever eaten.

I was home from college and it was Christmas dinner.  My SIL had received some very expensive caviar (beluga perhaps? I don't remember) from a relative and she and my brother brought it over to my parents' house for hors d'oeuvres. I didn't really want to try it but thought I would to be polite and it was the most godawful stuff I've ever tasted!  I almost pulled a Tom Hanks scene from Big and wiped it out of my mouth with a napkin but I managed to swallow it! :puke: Never again, though!  Other family members liked it so it was my failing, not the caviar's.

I like the sushi rolls with the orange-y caviar on them.  :drool: 

I like salmon, but I have yet to have any sushi with salmon in it that I like.

Have you ever had the rolls that are nothing but very thinly cut strips off cucumber rolled up around crab and avocado? I love those!! Have no clue what they are called, but they are hard to find.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
You guys know, though, that that isn't crab about 95% of the time. Has to be a really, really high-end place to be using real crab in a Cali roll or similar:

http://www.food-faq.com/other/26362-general-3ci.html

It's called surimi. Personally I'm not crazy about even real crab in any form. More on surimi:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rfouche/www/readings/mansfield.pdf

Just what is that crab-like stuff in a California roll? And what’s in the ‘seafood salad’ at
the grocery deli counter? Is it real, where did it come from, and why does it exist? At
once real and imitation, these foods are called ‘surimi seafood’. Surimi is a fish paste,
first developed in Japan several hundred years ago, made by mixing fish protein with
starches. Although surimi is a flexible food that can be used in a variety of ways, in this
paper I examine the imitation crab, or ‘krab’, form of surimi. A somewhat curious food
item, imitation crab is a mass-produced, low-cost source of fish protein designed to
imitate high-cost, luxury goods, including not only crab but also lobster, shrimp and
scallops. To make these imitations, manufacturers start with surimi paste, form it into
different shapes, add flavours, and dye it various shades of pink to imitate real shellfish.
The imitation form of surimi was first developed by several Japanese seafood firms in the early 1970s. Then in the late 1970s, Japanese firms introduced imitation products to
Western markets, where consumption increased rapidly throughout the 1980s in the
United States and the 1990s in Europe.

Offline debk

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
You guys know, though, that that isn't crab about 95% of the time. Has to be a really, really high-end place to be using real crab in a Cali roll or similar:

http://www.food-faq.com/other/26362-general-3ci.html

It's called surimi. Personally I'm not crazy about even real crab in any form. More on surimi:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rfouche/www/readings/mansfield.pdf

Just what is that crab-like stuff in a California roll? And what’s in the ‘seafood salad’ at
the grocery deli counter? Is it real, where did it come from, and why does it exist? At
once real and imitation, these foods are called ‘surimi seafood’. Surimi is a fish paste,
first developed in Japan several hundred years ago, made by mixing fish protein with
starches. Although surimi is a flexible food that can be used in a variety of ways, in this
paper I examine the imitation crab, or ‘krab’, form of surimi. A somewhat curious food
item, imitation crab is a mass-produced, low-cost source of fish protein designed to
imitate high-cost, luxury goods, including not only crab but also lobster, shrimp and
scallops. To make these imitations, manufacturers start with surimi paste, form it into
different shapes, add flavours, and dye it various shades of pink to imitate real shellfish.
The imitation form of surimi was first developed by several Japanese seafood firms in the early 1970s. Then in the late 1970s, Japanese firms introduced imitation products to
Western markets, where consumption increased rapidly throughout the 1980s in the
United States and the 1990s in Europe.

yep...that's what it is....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Mmm, congealed fish paste.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Mmm, congealed fish paste.

I rest my case.

Again.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
Party pooper.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »

Have you ever watched "Monsters Within Me" on Animal Planet?   :p

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
Have you ever watched "Monsters Within Me" on Animal Planet?   :p

No, I haven't . . . do you think I might have had a sturgeon living inside me??  :o  (btw, this happened 25 years ago!)

I like the sushi rolls with the orange-y caviar on them.  :drool: 

I like salmon, but I have yet to have any sushi with salmon in it that I like.

Have you ever had the rolls that are nothing but very thinly cut strips off cucumber rolled up around crab and avocado? I love those!! Have no clue what they are called, but they are hard to find.

Salmon skin rolls are FAB!!  It's salmon skin covered in tempura so it's crispy and paired with avocado in a roll.

I don't know what those "krab" and avocado rolled in cucumber slices are but they sound really good as well!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
No, I haven't . . . do you think I might have had a sturgeon living inside me??  :o  (btw, this happened 25 years ago!)

Salmon skin rolls are FAB!!  It's salmon skin covered in tempura so it's crispy and paired with avocado in a roll.

I don't know what those "krab" and avocado rolled in cucumber slices are but they sound really good as well!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
Do you guys get fresh food in port or do you have to eat whatever they have?

It kind of depends....... when in port, they restock supplies. While at sea, they do what's called UNREP (Underway Replenishment) or VERTREP( Vertical Replenishment) where food is distributed from various supply ships to the other ships. The supply ships make more frequent ports of call than the other ships, normally. I was aboard a few supply ships as my job was to maintain the H-46 helicopter. All sorts of supplies (stores) are transferred from the supply ship to the other ships.

In this video is how they do VERTREP: (point of interest, the first 40 secs is from one of MY detachments.The very first detachment.  We had aircrafts 12 & 14 (no #13). I'm trying to track down where he got that part of the video. Also, I've done EVERY job on the flight deck, including being the signal person in the yellow helmet & float coat)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDPaKedIfc[/youtube]

Here is the UNREP Portion:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-2NTsMFhA[/youtube]

Many times, unless it's just a small delivery, they are often combined. I can recall being alongside an aircraft carrier for some 8-10 hours. I always hated that. They even do submarines that way, at times.