Author Topic: MLB, umpires approve instant replay  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
MLB, umpires approve instant replay
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

this probably makes it a sure thing . . . bastards . . . more depraved debasement of the game that I adore.  I still haven't forgiven baseball for the DH or domed stadia.

MLB, umpires approve instant replay

Major League Baseball has signed an agreement with the World Umpires Association, approving the implementation of instant replay for disputed home run calls sometime before the end of the season, one of MLB's top officials told MLB.com on Wednesday.

"We're not there yet," said Rich Levin, MLB's senior vice president of public relations, "but this is another significant step."

All 30 Major League ballparks are being wired with monitors so umpires on location can view replays of questionable home run calls -- fair or foul, in the park or out. Many of the installations are done, but there are still some in the process of being completed. For example, a crew was at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Wednesday, installing the necessary equipment.

Commissioner Bud Selig said last Thursday at the conclusion of the quarterly owners' meetings in Washington that he was confident all glitches could be ironed out so that the system would be put into place before the playoffs.

"I'm quite satisfied that we're trying to get all the bugs out of it," he said. "It'll be very limited in its form, as you know. I'm a little reluctant to speak out about it until I know everything is working, but we are moving in the right direction."

More

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: MLB, umpires approve instant replay
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »
Agreed, this is blasphemy...I still can't talk about the DH without getting pissed off.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: MLB, umpires approve instant replay
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Agreed, this is blasphemy...I still can't talk about the DH without getting pissed off.
I've got to agree with you, Bondai.  The DH is a travesty.

As a case in point, Pedro Martinez, a pitcher that I very much revere, hit 20+ batters as a pitcher for the Red Sox in 2004.  The next year, as a pitcher for the Mets, he hit two.  Make the pitchers accountable for their inside throwing by putting them into the batters' box. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.