Author Topic: Stinky gives culinary advice  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Kimberly

Stinky gives culinary advice
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »
First the unimportant OP

Lisa0825 (12,423 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Question about meatless ground beef.
Hi all! I'm not really a vegetarian, but for the past couple years, I have been trying to include lots of meatless meals each week. Mostly I just go for recipes that do not include meat, rather than using meat substitutes, because I didn't like them when I tried them long ago.

Recently I decided to give them another try. I have been having Boca Burgers (Classic American Burger) this week for dinner and really like it! Even my cats have begged for a bite and liked it! LOL

Anyway, what I remember from several years ago when I made spaghetti with "meat" sauce, is that the ground beef crumbles got really spongy when cooked in the sauce. So I thought I would pop in here and see if anyone recommended a particular brand for the crumbles or if there is a way to avoid the sponginess. Maybe I just need to make the sauce separately and add the meat each time I have it so it doesn't sit in the liquid?

Thanks for any tips!

Stinky The Clown (45,840 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

15. Use canned tuna in sauce

Good protein, easy, and tasty.

For really quick, use jarred sauce and add two cans of drained water pack light or dark (but not white - too dry) tuna to it.heat normally, add to the pasta and that's it.

Easy and healthy. High protein.

Tuna fish in spaghetti sauce? Ewwww. And I don't think tuna is an approved vegetarian food.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Stinky gives culinary advice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Ewwwwww, tuna in sauce?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
We all know that 'tuna' is just a dog whistle for 'cat food' - even though a can of it is usually more expensive than tuna.

Damned rethugs, making people eat spaghetti and cat food.   :popcorn:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »
Ewwwwww, tuna in sauce?

Remember, the old dude's a guy who cooks live clams and has his wife as if a bird in a gilded cage.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
Tuna spaghetti sauce?? :???:
I'd really hate to see what he passes off as the noodles. :whistling:
StinkDUde, the internets is laughing at you again. :rotf:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
I love tuna, and I love spaghetti.

But tuna fish spaghetti sauce is really a revolting idea.

I'm afraid Squatting Mike would flunk out at Hamburger University.

This is a little tidbit of evidence in favor of coach's theory that the silly "restaurant consulting" scam is simply a front to conceal
some criminal enterprise.

Remember, Tony Soprano was a "waste management consultant".

But Soprano didn't live in a little 2300 sq.ft. starter bungalow (though packed to the ceiling with Apple products).

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »
Meatless ground beef ? I'm struggling with that.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
Man,I would hate to hire a restaurant consulting firm that has a person suggesting this. :(

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
Man,I would hate to hire a restaurant consulting firm that has a person suggesting this.
I'd like to hear Gordon Ramsay's comments when he read it on the menu!

It would be a thirty-second-long beep.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
I'd like to hear Gordon Ramsay's comments when he read it on the menu!

It would be a thirty-second-long beep.
Then he takes a breath, and you get another thirty seconds. :lmao:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
Meatless ground beef ? I'm struggling with that.

TVP, Texturized Vegetable Protein.  Actually works pretty decently as a meat stand for highly flavored dishes like tacos and chili.  I think I would rather just have a meat free spaghetti sauce than to put it in there because it doesn't have a lot of flavor by itself.

Lisa0825, I would recommend making more strongly flavored pasta sauces like puttanesca or arrabiata sauce and skipping the meat altogether.  Maybe add some vegetarian meatballs if you really feel like they are needed.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
TVP, Texturized Vegetable Protein.  Actually works pretty decently as a meat stand for highly flavored dishes like tacos and chili.  I think I would rather just have a meat free spaghetti sauce than to put it in there because it doesn't have a lot of flavor by itself.

Lisa0825, I would recommend making more strongly flavored pasta sauces like puttanesca or arrabiata sauce and skipping the meat altogether.  Maybe add some vegetarian meatballs if you really feel like they are needed.

I agree - there's plenty of good food out there which happens not to contain meat, ironically enough including Italian but also cultures which have a long history of vegetarianism such as India, that's what I go to for Fridays no need to pretend to be eating meat.

Stinky needs a bitch-slap for suggesting tuna for vegetarians though...

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »

If it's beef, it's meat. I'm not seeing a way around that. Therefore, meatless ground beef is irreconcilable. At least from my limited understanding.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
If it's beef, it's meat. I'm not seeing a way around that. Therefore, meatless ground beef is irreconcilable. At least from my limited understanding.
Well, if the pasture ate the cow....?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Well, if the pasture ate the cow....?
That could be a good point, as dead cows decompose in a pasture, the pasture "eats" the cow. Therefore you're killing and eating dead cows when you eat vegetation.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Completely - it should be labeled as meatless ground beef substitute. - But that doesn't sound quite as appealing, does it ?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Completely - it should be labeled as meatless ground beef substitute. - But that doesn't sound quite as appealing, does it ?
You are right.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
DUmpmonkeys love their revolting manufactured artificial meat, but they're horrified by sugar made from corn syrup.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
Anyone that takes advice from somebody that lives in a catbox needs to have their mind checked.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
Anyone that takes advice from somebody that lives in a catbox needs to have their mind checked.
You may be quite surprised how the average person takes advice from those least qualified to give it.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
Wow.  I love tuna, and I eat it almost every day.  My favorite lunch is tuna salad on an onion bagel with a big slice of tomato.  Tuna and spaghetti sounds completely disgusting, yuk.