Author Topic: Armed U.S. Army trainee hijacks school bus full of children, S.C. sheriff says  (Read 771 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member malaise (228,516 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215405992

Armed U.S. Army trainee hijacks school bus full of children, S.C. sheriff says

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/armed-u-s-army-trainee-hijacks-school-bus-full-children-n1266514

An armed U.S. Army trainee hijacked a busload of elementary school students in South Carolina on Thursday before letting the children off, abandoning the vehicle and surrendering, authorities said.

The trainee from Fort Jackson left the base with a rifle about 7 a.m. ET and tried flagging motorists on Interstate 77 before spotting a school bus stop, Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says a Fort Jackson trainee has been arrested after hijacking a school bus with a gun in Fort Jackson, S,C., May 6, 2021.

He "told the bus driver that he didn't want to hurt him, but he wanted him to drive him to the next town," according to the sheriff.

The suspect, who was wearing his Army physical training gear, brought all 18 children to the front of the bus, where they "started asking lots of questions to the suspect, if he was going to hurt them or the bus driver," Lott said.

First off, How the **** does a basic training soldier get a 'gun'.

I almost think were going to learn this is a 'rubber duck'... an training inert weapon...

:whatever:

Star Member zaj (2,989 posts)

1. That's the cutest mass kidnapping story ever.

They story, as written, just conjures up images of Kindergarten Cop.

Star Member malaise (228,516 posts)

2. Those kids were terrified

I disagree - the good news is that he never opened fire

Star Member Aristus (55,295 posts)

5. I wonder sometimes how some people make even to Basic Training

when they should have been weeded out during the recruitment process.

Of course, when a recruiter has absurd quotas to meet, they'll take anyone with a pulse.

I knew one guy in Basic Training who made it through to graduation, but was probably kicked out of the Army on at least a general, and probably a dishonorable, discharge not long after that. He was chronically insubordinate, and rarely obeyed orders. He ended up doing more push-ups than your average personal trainer for punishment of infractions. He was a disaster.

I knew another guy who went AWOL and was never seen again after literally (as if in a movie) knotting his bed sheets together and repelling out the barracks' window, disappearing forever into the night.

And this was the Army, not the legendarily harsh Boot Camp of the Marines...

jmowreader (45,002 posts)

7. Three drill sergeants and probably a fire guard have a LOT to answer for

How, exactly, did a man in his third week of basic training get away from the company and get a rifle and ammunition?

In the third week of training the soldiers haven't even been to the rifle range yet. So, yeah... WTF, Over?

PBC_Democrat (275 posts)

10. He Would Have Ammo ... Still Hasn't Touched a Bullet at this Point

In week 3 the soldiers are introduced to the M16, they carry it around, they take it apart, clean it, and put it make together again but DON'T fire it.

They also learn the Manual of Arms (how to march with it, salute with it, go to Parade Rest with it) and just become comfortable with it.

For many soldiers it's the first time every touching any type of firearm.

This in NO WAY reduces the severity of the crime and this guy should be wearing prison gray for the rest of his life.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bus driver was former military and noticed that the weapon didn't have a magazine inserted and know the danger was lessened.

Either way the hijacker/kidnapper is a criminal and the bus driver is a hero.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
This is what happens when people can no longer falsely claim to be gay in order to get thrown out of the military.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

This is what happens when people can no longer falsely claim to be gay in order to get thrown out of the military.

Maxwell Klinger IV?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

PBC_Democrat (275 posts)

10. He Would Have Ammo ... Still Hasn't Touched a Bullet at this Point

In week 3 the soldiers are introduced to the M16, they carry it around, they take it apart, clean it, and put it make together again but DON'T fire it.

They also learn the Manual of Arms (how to march with it, salute with it, go to Parade Rest with it) and just become comfortable with it.

For many soldiers it's the first time every touching any type of firearm.

This in NO WAY reduces the severity of the crime and this guy should be wearing prison gray for the rest of his life.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bus driver was former military and noticed that the weapon didn't have a magazine inserted and know the danger was lessened.

Either way the hijacker/kidnapper is a criminal and the bus driver is a hero.

Now would be the correct time to use the phrase "Assault weapon" DUmmie.

M16   ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Now would be the correct time to use the phrase "Assault weapon" DUmmie.

M16   ::)

They get M4s now, with ACOGs.

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

• Global Moderator
They get M4s now, with ACOGs.

I still have my initial issue muzzle loader. 😔

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I still have my initial issue muzzle loader. 😔

I remember when we traded in the bronze spears for the iron ones...

Good times.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion

Good times.

That’s because you are older than **** Major
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

• Global Moderator

Good times.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
That’s because you are older than **** Major

True!

I did get my new Army Green uniform from Marlow White the other day.

:-)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Oh, and my eldest son is deploying the M.E. this month with his unit.

• Global Moderator
Oh, and my eldest son is deploying the M.E. this month with his unit.

Every time I talk to mine he's in some new eastern European country.

I asked him if his German wife could follow him into Poland.

"They seem to know how to find their way."

"Jesus, dad."

"What? Too soon?"

Offline dutch508

• Remember

"Jesus, dad."

"What? Too soon?"

LoL.

I told a group of german reenactors that my adopted mother's father had been to Berlin during the war.

... with the Red Army.

They didn't think that was funny... so I told them about all my half German cousins...

I got banned.

:rotf:

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.

"Jesus, dad."

"What? Too soon?"

Trying to get to Poland from Germany? It's easy. Just go down this road and take the Third Reich.

:rimshot:

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Maxwell Klinger IV?

That was my first thought too.  Although IIRC there was one episode where an army shrink told Klinger he would sign the section 8, but it would permanently label him as gay, which was a line Klinger wasn't willing to cross to get out. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.