Author Topic: How green is my golf course?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

How green is my golf course?
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
"Happiness in life is based on expectations," writes Rajendra K Pachauri on his own blog. And if your expectations include ownership of a nine-hole golf course, then Dr Pachauri must be a very happy man indeed.

But, it appears, TERI is harbouring a guilty "secret". The five-acre golf course is part of the 69 acres of institutional land it acquired from Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) in 1985 (below - Google Earth), for the exclusive use of TERI staff. Commercial exploitation is prohibited.   But rules are for little people, not Rajendra Pachauri, who has been charging golfers $540 for membership.

The area around it is dry because water is in short supply in this region of India; nearby Gurgaon and Delhi sometimes don't have enough for drinking. But despite the allegedly melting Himalayan glaciers, there is enough water for Pachauri to piddle away 300,000 gallons a day during the summer to keep the greens looking lush.

Pachauri's tony facility also includes a cricket green and a badminton green. Speaking of green, he has enough left over after saving the world's poor from the global warming caused by capitalism to be driven around by a private chauffeur, being sensible enough to eschew the eco-friendly electric death trap provided for him.

Pachauri shared a Nobel Prize with the Goracle as head of the UN's IPCC.
http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-green-is-my-golf-course.html

H/T Moonbattery.com
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston