Author Topic: why Paypal  (Read 11737 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
why Paypal
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:19:23 AM »
Okay now, I don't know how the mechanisms of paying for something on the internet works, and so this might seem a stupid question, but I really don't know.

Every time I've ordered something all I've had to do is give the number off my plastic card.

Once in a while a vendor demanded that I also in addition use Paypal.  I have no idea why.  And it seems stupid, because it takes longer to do that than merely to enter one's plastic card number.....not to mention it requires opening an account with Paypal.

So I never ordered anything from any of these places that said I had to use Paypal too.

<<<has nothing against Paypal; just doesn't want to open a Paypal account because it's more time and trouble than any "benefit" I'd get from it.

If someone demanded Paypal, they just didn't get franksolich's business.

In all cases, if someone needed just franksolich's plastic card numbers, they got my business.

Now I've come across a dilemma.  Three days ago, by accident, I stumbled upon what has to be the greatest movie ever made in the whole history of cinema, Peter the Great from 1986.

Forget anything else I ever said about any other greatest movies ever made--Lawrence of Arabia, Waterloo, La Revolution francaise, Amadeus, Julius Caesar--I saw those before I saw Peter the Great so my judgement was premature.

Trust me; there cannot possibly be any movie greater than, more excellent than, Peter the Great.  Perfection cannot be perfected.

So I decided to buy a DVD of this movie.

They're available, but the vendors demand Paypal, rather than just my plastic card numbers.

Bitch.

What I don't get--and remember, I may be getting this wrongly--is that the plastic card companies take a cut from the vendor of something, and surely Paypal does too.  Why would vendors be willing to fork over even more of their slender precarious profits to two processors of payments instead of just one? 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: why Paypal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
I'm confused. Do they ask for both Paypal and a credit card number?  That sounds fishy to me.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »
It is a headache to setup accepting plastic directly.

For a new and/or small vendor it is MUCH easier to just contract through Pay Pal and let them deal with the credit card companies, collections, etc.

That is why most ebay transactions only use Paypal as do most GoFund me and other begging sites.

PayPal is legit so no reason to worry.  They don't charge you anything as a buyer -- the seller pays their vig. 
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
It's an "either/or" thing, Frank.

You either pay with plastic or with Paypal. Not both.

The only thing that Paypal does (besides take your money if you're selling something) is shield your bank account/credit card numbers from the internet - at least directly. Instead of that information, you input a viable email address, which is controlled via a password. Paypal links up the email address with any number of credit card accounts or bank accounts.

You can also send friends and family money that way, without the expensive "wire transfer" stuff.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
I'm confused. Do they ask for both Paypal and a credit card number?  That sounds fishy to me.

What happens is on pages preceding the "shopping cart" there's usually the logos of the four major credit cards, giving the impression this is what they accept for payment.

So I go through the bit, fill up the "shopping cart," and go there to pay.

When I open that page, the Paypal button, and not the ones for the plastic cards, is there.

As I'm not really interested in having yet another account that uses my financial information on the internet, I say to myself, "okay, that's it," leave, and go on to something else.

Businesses as diverse as amazon.com and King's College in Cambridge, England and three little itty-bitty coin dealers seem to have no problem bypassing Paypal and taking plastic card numbers directly.

I have no doubt Paypal is legit and above criticism, but damn, I really don't want to bother with having yet another account. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
What happens is on pages preceding the "shopping cart" there's usually the logos of the four major credit cards, giving the impression this is what they accept for payment.

So I go through the bit, fill up the "shopping cart," and go there to pay.

When I open that page, the Paypal button, and not the ones for the plastic cards, is there.

As I'm not really interested in having yet another account that uses my financial information on the internet, I say to myself, "okay, that's it," leave, and go on to something else.

Businesses as diverse as amazon.com and King's College in Cambridge, England and three little itty-bitty coin dealers seem to have no problem bypassing Paypal and taking plastic card numbers directly.

I have no doubt Paypal is legit and above criticism, but damn, I really don't want to bother with having yet another account.

It is The Way of the World.  You can not hold back the tide with an outstretched hand.

Your itty bitty coin dealers are probably using big $ transactions and thus take plastic.  I will wager they don't take AMEX.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.