Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 150242 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #550 on: November 09, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
What about Duplicolor paint?  A small spray can is usually less than $10 or so. Most auto stores carry it around here.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #551 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »
I've checked with O'Reilly's and DupliColor... they just don't make it.  They do make B4 in those little pen applicator/scratch fixers, but not in an aerosol can.  I found a place online that will mix a can for $20 plus shipping but I'm trying to get the bare metal covered before it rains again.  There is a Sherwin Williams store that will mix automotive paint (acrylic enamel) into aerosol cans... I'm going to talk to them in the morning.  If they can't do it for a reasonable price, I'm just going to order them online and pray for no rain.

It's only for the window frame and that will mostly be covered by the new weatherstripping, but I'd rather not have to primer over it and try to paint around the primer and new rubber later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #552 on: November 10, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »
I've checked with O'Reilly's and DupliColor... they just don't make it.  They do make B4 in those little pen applicator/scratch fixers, but not in an aerosol can.  I found a place online that will mix a can for $20 plus shipping but I'm trying to get the bare metal covered before it rains again.  There is a Sherwin Williams store that will mix automotive paint (acrylic enamel) into aerosol cans... I'm going to talk to them in the morning.  If they can't do it for a reasonable price, I'm just going to order them online and pray for no rain.

It's only for the window frame and that will mostly be covered by the new weatherstripping, but I'd rather not have to primer over it and try to paint around the primer and new rubber later.

Good luck with the Sherwin Williams. They are usually very, very spendy.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #553 on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »
If you get a little flash rust from  rain, it's not a big deal.  Just make sure you carefully sand all of it away.  You should really gently sand anyways to make sure your touch up coat sticks well.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #554 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
Another:
[Bronco-hijack]

Finally got around to installing the K&N FIPK. Took a little longer than the 1½ hour install time 'cause I had to re-shape the support for the tube from the AC. I got the roughly 10% HP and torque increase promised which helps here in hill country. Ah, those engineering changes....

[/Bronco-hijack]
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #555 on: November 10, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
If you get a little flash rust from  rain, it's not a big deal.  Just make sure you carefully sand all of it away.  You should really gently sand anyways to make sure your touch up coat sticks well.

When I was younger I worked for a stent in an auto body shop. We used a product called Metal Etch. I just did a search for it and I cant find it, may not be available now, but all you had to do was spray it on the metal after you sanded the area and it would keep the steel from oxidizing for a few days if needed. All you had to do is hit the area with a scotch bright pad to scuff it up for the primer coat and then paint. 
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #556 on: November 10, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
I thought most primers had metal etching incorporated with it.

I struck out at Sherwin Williams today.  The only store that does automotive paint is downtown.  I'll try again later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #557 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
Most do but this product was much stronger. It would take day or two surface oxidation off with just a spray. Great stuff but not needed just make sure to scuff up the area before you prime and paint.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #558 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
I have a metal converter from Eastwood that will completely prevent rust from forming.  At this point, I'm planning on grinding the adhesive/rubber crud off and simply primering it until I can get a paint match some time this week. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #559 on: November 10, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
Most do but this product was much stronger. It would take day or two surface oxidation off with just a spray. Great stuff but not needed just make sure to scuff up the area before you prime and paint.

Yeah, you can get etching primer at most auto body places.  Good stuff.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #560 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
I called Sherwin Williams... they only want $18 a can and I can pick it up on Wednesday.  I ordered acrylic enamel, which is what I think the original paint is.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #561 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I called Sherwin Williams... they only want $18 a can and I can pick it up on Wednesday.  I ordered acrylic enamel, which is what I think the original paint is.

Did they even have acrylic anything back in 1963?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #562 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »

here is a site that claims to give you the proper pain codes. I would do some more research.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1963&manuf=Ford&model=Fairlane&con=ymo&rows=50

Offline Chris_

« Reply #563 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:34 AM »
here is a site that claims to give you the proper pain codes. I would do some more research.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1963&manuf=Ford&model=Fairlane&con=ymo&rows=50
That's the one I used.

The '63 paint chip didn't have a Sherwin Williams code on it so I gave them the one for the 2000 Ford.  It looks close enough... I will try it out on some trim pieces I pulled off first.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #564 on: November 16, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
So the paint I paid Sherwin Williams for is way too dark.  Oh well.  I didn't go overboard with it, but it will be difficult to mask.  I think I'll just hit it with some primer and suck it up.  Did I mention I wanted to repaint the car white?  Not refrigerator white, but something with a little tan in it.

I went window-shopping for an R134a compressor and the closest one I found that matches the weird setup on the Fairlane is a 1996 Explorer. The bolts will require some shims to get it to fit and I'll have to replace the evaporator as well.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #565 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
I went window-shopping for an R134a compressor and the closest one I found that matches the weird setup on the Fairlane is a 1996 Explorer. The bolts will require some shims to get it to fit and I'll have to replace the evaporator as well.

Do you have vinyl seats? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #566 on: November 16, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #567 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
Yes :???:

I was just wondering.  Cloth seats I can stand to not have A/C.  Vinyl is a different story.  I don't like telling the temperature by how badly my legs have stuck to the seat. 

I put up with no A/C in the MG and the Z, because it's more work that it's worth for the amount I drive them.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #568 on: November 16, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
I was just wondering.  Cloth seats I can stand to not have A/C.  Vinyl is a different story.  I don't like telling the temperature by how badly my legs have stuck to the seat. 

I put up with no A/C in the MG and the Z, because it's more work that it's worth for the amount I drive them.   
I just want the AC to work because the car came with AC from the factory.  I don't care if the compressor doesn't match or if it runs R134a.

R12 is ungodly expensive.  I'd rather look at replacing the whole thing than trying to fix it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
I saw some really nice OEM alloy wheels on an XJ at the junkyard.  Too bad they won't fit my Ford.

http://www.carid.com/1998-jaguar-xj-type-factory-wheels/cci-factory-alloy-wheel-10999313.html

Another Jag wheel:

http://www.allfactorywheels.com/products/1998%252d1999-Jaguar-XJ8-16%22-59725.html

Looks like I'm going to have to shop for some nice looking 15-inch Crown Vic wheels instead.

These are available from 1980-1991 CVs.  I think this would look sharp.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:34:25 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #570 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
Okay, these people want an arm and a leg for those damn wheels.  $125 each?  Forget that.

The kid with the Karmann-Ghia gave me the phone number for a friend of his that does upholstery.  He said he could make me new seat covers for half the price the big mail-order guys want (Dennis Carpenter, Dearborn Classics).  Also, those guys don't carry anything that matches my car.  They sell weird reproduction stuff that doesn't match or stuff from other models with different material.  I'm pretty sure the upholstery from an early F-100 will fit my car... I'm going to make a trip to the Pull-A-Part and cut out the seat cover to see.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #571 on: December 18, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »

I found a reprint of the factory manual.  I still can't tell why my dash lights don't work while everything else does but this is a big help.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #572 on: December 18, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
Are they on a rheostat?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #573 on: December 18, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
Are they on a rheostat?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. 

The fuse box and the light switch are integrated.  It looks like a nightmare... I hope I'm wrong.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #574 on: December 18, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »
Have you pulled the dash panel to get to the lights and tested with a volt meter or test light? My VW had corrosion in ALL the sockets. I took apart the cluster and cleaned each socket, and put a new bulb in while I was there. I didn't like the green tint the cluster had so I also got rid of the green film. I should have put LED replacement bulbs while I was there but alas there is always next time.