Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148335 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »
The car lot down the street finally sold that blue Marlin.

In other news, I picked up an adjustable digital timing light.  Other than finding TDC on the crank pulley and advancing the timing light 10 degrees forward to match the factory timing, I'm not sure what I can do at this point.  Ignition timing is 10 degrees BTDC.  If I advance the timing light ten degrees, it SHOULD line up with the TDC mark.  That's the only thing I can think of that I can use.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #526 on: October 27, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
I got all the spark plugs torqued correctly, replaced all the wires in the correct order, and set the choke on the carburetor.  Damn thing fired right up and ran perfectly.  No stomping on the gas or stalling and the stumble seems to be gone.

I didn't take it for a drive since I removed the instrument cluster.  I spent the rest of the day wiping off the hackberry crud with a wet, soapy towel.  I forgot there was a car under there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #527 on: October 27, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »
I got all the spark plugs torqued correctly, replaced all the wires in the correct order, and set the choke on the carburetor.  Damn thing fired right up and ran perfectly.  No stomping on the gas or stalling and the stumble seems to be gone.

I didn't take it for a drive since I removed the instrument cluster.  I spent the rest of the day wiping off the hackberry crud with a wet, soapy towel.  I forgot there was a car under there.

Cool glad you got it running smoothly,and got the timing mark sorted.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #528 on: October 27, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Cool glad you got it running smoothly,and got the timing mark sorted.

I didn't quite get that far yet, but I'm hoping replacing the spark plug wires will help.  I wonder if I mixed up one or two of them with the last set of wires I put on.  I found out at the last minute that the #1 plug is already marked on the distributor cap.  I was 180 degrees off.

I have a new problem.  The motor seems to run smooth and quiet but something on the front is loose and causing some shaking.  Maybe a belt or I loosened the crank pulley while messing around with it.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #529 on: October 27, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »
Yea a loose pulley or harmonic balancer would give you a slight shaking. If its the balancer I would not run it till that is torqued back to spec....will cause devastation if it comes loose.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #530 on: October 27, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm trying to get into the habit of using a torque wrench when re-installing anything.  I paid for it, I might as well get some use out of it.

There's no harmonic balancer on this motor, only a belt pulley.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #531 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
Balancer would be good.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #532 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
I'm trying to get into the habit of using a torque wrench when re-installing anything.  I paid for it, I might as well get some use out of it.

There's no harmonic balancer on this motor, only a belt pulley.

I torque all bolts on a car if the spec is available or I can figure out what size the bolt is...i have charts for most threads/bolt size (yea weird I know). Is your motor one of those strange internal balanced jobs? or is it just missing the balancer?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #533 on: October 28, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
I assume it's internally balanced.  Everything on the motor looks stock... I don't think this motor came with a damper/balancer.

If I put one on, I'm changing out the camshaft as well.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #534 on: October 29, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
Hackberry Celtis Occiddentalis

:mad:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #535 on: October 29, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »

WOW LOOK THERE'S PAINT UNDER THERE!!!!!!! :lmao:

far cry better then some of MY rides  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #536 on: October 29, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
I think the cold weather may have finally killed off all the aphids. 

Didn't have this problem last year.  I drove my MGB all summer and it stayed perfectly clean.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #537 on: October 29, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
Damn. That crap looks lethal.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #538 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
Once you hose it down, it wipes right off.  It's not super-sticky... it's just bug poop.  A lot of bug poop.

You should see the Honda behind it.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #539 on: October 29, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

I had to do a double take on those photos.  I thought you had bought another car, and was giving it its first bath.  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #540 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »
Told you it was nasty.  If you have one of these in your yard, chop the ****er down.  Unfortunately, those trees are between the garage and the dog pen.

I could probably take the first two down.  The tree stump would make a nice picnic table.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #541 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
I hate this time of year.  By the time I get home from work, I've got about an hour of daylight left.

I might get some extra daylight after the DST change next week.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #542 on: October 30, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
I hate this time of year.  By the time I get home from work, I've got about an hour of daylight left.

I might get some extra daylight after the DST change next week.

Um, Fall Back. You'll lose that daylight after work. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #543 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
Um, Fall Back. You'll lose that daylight after work. 
:overreaction:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #544 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »
You need a garage or at the very least some really good lights.  :-)

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #545 on: October 30, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
:overreaction:

I know, right?

I sure need that extra hour of daylight in the morning so I don't have to use my car's headlights.   ::)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #546 on: November 03, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time finding 13-inch tires on Tire Rack. 

My next choice would be to upgrade to a larger steel wheel with matching hubcaps or maybe some chrome dress rings.  After conferring with some parts-counter goons, I spent the $50 on a replacement voltage regulator since neither one I have seems to be working correctly.  There's a plastic re-chromer in town and I think they'll rechrome the instrument cluster for under $100 (their minimum order is $45).  Got all the crud washed off and made some progress on the new weatherstripping... I took them out of the box and read the instructions.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #547 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time finding 13-inch tires on Tire Rack. 

My next choice would be to upgrade to a larger steel wheel with matching hubcaps or maybe some chrome dress rings.  After conferring with some parts-counter goons, I spent the $50 on a replacement voltage regulator since neither one I have seems to be working correctly.  There's a plastic re-chromer in town and I think they'll rechrome the instrument cluster for under $100 (their minimum order is $45).  Got all the crud washed off and made some progress on the new weatherstripping... I took them out of the box and read the instructions.

Yep 13's are hard to come by. I got 15 Corrado steel wheels and tires for what 13' tires would have run me on the VW. The up side to all this is if I need tires in a remote place I have a better chance of getting them right away than having to wait for a special order.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time finding touch-up aerosol paint for this thing.  Ford used the same paint code/shade (B4) up until 2003 on the Taurus, F-150, Crown Vic under different names (Chestnut, Autumn Brown).  I'm replacing the weatherstripping around the doors and some of it needs to be sanded back and repainted. 

It doesn't have to be perfect.  I'll settle for very close but PaintScratch.com wants $25 a can.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time finding touch-up aerosol paint for this thing.  Ford used the same paint code/shade (B4) up until 2003 on the Taurus, F-150, Crown Vic under different names (Chestnut, Autumn Brown).  I'm replacing the weatherstripping around the doors and some of it needs to be sanded back and repainted. 

It doesn't have to be perfect.  I'll settle for very close but PaintScratch.com wants $25 a can.

Do you have an O'Reilly's around you?  Some of them have paint stores inside that can mix up colors in rattle cans.