Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148516 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
I'm turning the mud room downstairs into a workshop since the garage is full.  Already got my tools moved in and most of the table cleared of junk left over from when I moved in.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
man I tell ya you wont regret having a air conditioned work room in the summer time and heated in the winter...
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #477 on: September 29, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Yeah, if I can keep my cat from knocking stuff onto the floor when I'm not there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #478 on: September 29, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
Yeah, if I can keep my cat from knocking stuff onto the floor when I'm not there.

Good luck with that.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #479 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »

hehe well you could shut the door...
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #480 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
hehe well you could shut the door...
Well, the doors in the basement don't exactly close. :-)

This house is pretty old.  I'll have to get a wood plane and shave a few layers of wood and paint off the doors to get them to fit back into the doorjamb.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #481 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »

This house is pretty old.  I'll have to get a wood plane and shave a few layers of wood and paint off the doors to get them to fit back into the doorjamb.

Well snap to it bubba dem kitties gonna need to stay out....lol

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #482 on: September 30, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »

Also check and make sure the door hinge screws are snug on the door and the jamb. 

I had one door here in my 1937 home that just needed the screws done up on the bottom hinge, and I swore for years it was the paint making it all wonky.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #483 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
1951 here. 

I should take a closer look.  I'm more concerned about the exit since it has an aluminum frame over the concrete doorjamb.  That's why I've been hesitant to mess with the doors.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #484 on: October 03, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »
I haven't done a damn thing since last weekend.  I can't find the timing marks on the pulley or the timing cover.  I guess I just need to plug up the timing light and try to find them with the engine running.

Installing the door weatherstripping has been on my mind all week.  It needs to get done.

Someone recommended holding a piece of fine sandpaper against the pulley while it was running to clean up rust and uncover the timing marks.  I know I have some 1000-grit around here somewhere, but I like my fingers too much to try it yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:37:04 PM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #485 on: October 04, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
hehe well coming from an ex-machinist you will want to do that with utmost care. There are a lot of guys in that industry that have had broken fingers or worse from sanding a part on a lathe. If it was me I would get some steel wool and do it by hand with the engine NOT running. If you get caught in a belt your keyboard days will be over for a spell or worse.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #486 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
I have steel wool.  I can do that.  :-)

Supposed to rain Sunday.  Bah.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #487 on: October 05, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
I am not having any luck.  I cleaned the pulley surface with some 180-grit sandpaper (I wore gloves) and can NOT find any timing marks on this motor at all. The only thing on the pulley is "2L" or "72"... it's hard to read.  I disconnected the coil and bumped the motor all the way around with the starter and checked every inch of the pulley surface.

I think I found the timing indicator.  It's a pointy nub that is part of the timing cover.  There is no numbered gauge like later cars.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #488 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
I am not having any luck.  I cleaned the pulley surface with some 180-grit sandpaper (I wore gloves) and can NOT find any timing marks on this motor at all. The only thing on the pulley is "2L" or "72"... it's hard to read.  I disconnected the coil and bumped the motor all the way around with the starter and checked every inch of the pulley surface.

I think I found the timing indicator.  It's a pointy nub that is part of the timing cover.  There is no numbered gauge like later cars.

The harmonic balancer part of the pulley is still attached to the pulley, right?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #489 on: October 05, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
I don't think there is one on this car.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #490 on: October 05, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
I hooked the timing light up to the #1 ignition wire and pointed the light at the pulley after cleaning it.  It's nice and shiny, but there is just nothing there.

This is the cover for the front of the engine.  You can see the timing indicator @ 1:00

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #491 on: October 05, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »
I hooked the timing light up to the #1 ignition wire and pointed the light at the pulley after cleaning it.  It's nice and shiny, but there is just nothing there.

This is the cover for the front of the engine.  You can see the timing indicator @ 1:00

You might have to make your own timing mark on that pulley, if there isn't one.

Is it possibly a notch on the back side of the pulley?

I think my old 240 Volvo has that instead of a regular notch.  It's harder than shit to see.  I found it once, and marked it with some white-out.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »
Not that I could see.  Someone mentioned their 260 has a dimple on the pulley where TDC is supposed to be, but I didn't see one of those either.

I started taking the Motorcraft carb I bought apart.  It's full of sand. :p

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #493 on: October 05, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
Not that I could see.  Someone mentioned their 260 has a dimple on the pulley where TDC is supposed to be, but I didn't see one of those either.

I started taking the Motorcraft carb I bought apart.  It's full of sand. :p

Make sure to do a dip on that carb and blow through all the ports with air compressor if you have it...sand WILL clog those tiny idle and off idle circuits. If you don't have any chemdip use a few cans of carb cleaner....last thing you want to do is go through the effort and gaskets to have to do over cause it wasn't clean the first time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #494 on: October 05, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
I pulled the needles out and and they were all crusty.

This thing is nasty.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #495 on: October 05, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »
This is what ya need

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BRY3/0996/N0406.oap?ck=Search_N0406_-1_-1&pt=N0406&ppt=C0090

Don't have to buy from them just to link so you can see it, but Berryman Chem-Dip in the gallon is awesome. It has a small basket for parts. Just dip the carb parts all of them that fit for a few hours and rinse off and blow out the ports and you WONT have any dirt/grease/varnish left. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #496 on: October 05, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »
I was going to buy that.  I didn't realize there was a basket inside, though.  That really helps.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #497 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
yea its a great product...but try to keep it off your hands. It stinks and does not was off very easily.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #498 on: October 06, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to do the timing the old-fashioned way.  I built a pair of piston bump-stops for $8 (they sell for $20).

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #499 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to do the timing the old-fashioned way.  I built a pair of piston bump-stops for $8 (they sell for $20).

I thought that was to put a little drag on the distributor nut, start the engine then rotate the distributor until it sounded good. :whistling: 

< watch this space for coming distractions >