Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148682 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #400 on: September 10, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Sort of.  There is a "classic" section in the local Pull-A-Part. 

There are enough old pickups around here, finding one shouldn't be difficult.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #401 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
Argh.  It doesn't want to idle when it gets hot (and that V8 puts out a lot of heat).  Also, it's still idling rough.   

Good news, there is a 1980-something Fairmont at the Pull-A-Part.  I may be able to get the spindles if they haven't already been picked.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #402 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Did I ever post these guys?  One of these days I have to get around to finishing up the brackets needed to put them on the /6

That is a Lynx manifold not a Clifford.  The Aussies also have a great /6 that runs three Weber duce's, it puts out @ 265hp.

What I need to do is make a bracket for the throttle and kick down gear which is actually easier said than done.  Hopefully I will have a chance to get to it this winter.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #403 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Didn't the Sunbeam Tiger come with a Ford 289?  It probably has a single four-barrel carb.

I'm sure I have a picture of one somewhere.

Yep.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #404 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
Did some research and a few issues were mentioned.  Vapor lock/heat, carb spacing, or timing.

Someone suggested placing wooden clothespins on the fuel line near the engine to dissipate heat as a diagnostic measure (he claimed it works).  Checking timing doesn't cost me anything, but checking the base plate or carb spacer may take me a day or two.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #405 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
If the thumb nut is tightened to much on most carb's it will warp the "airhorn" the upper area of the venturi and yes you will have a vacuum leak or worse on some carb's fuel leaks, once it happens it will always be an issue. Put a gasket under the air cleaner and snug the thumb nut....unless you have a rockin and rollin engine or one that idles rough as all get out that should be enough. Do not over tighten the thumb nut. On a Quadra jet you will actually cause fuel to dump into the engine if you warp the air horn.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #406 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
There is a small gasket around the base of the air cleaner... it's about 1/8th of an inch wide or less and not very thick, but it's there.

I messed with the wingnut after it wouldn't start after heating up.  Didn't help.  I think it may be something else.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:04:39 PM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #407 on: September 10, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
It probably wont cause a hard start but if it has warped things it will dependently cause it to run different....loosen the wing nut then run it till warm and see. If it is tightened and the idle gets rough then you know.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #408 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
Rained today.  No progress.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #409 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
Well shoot....I worked on the vw today had a problem with the relayed wire harness I purchased for it....should have wired it myself but hey live and learn right. So after a few hours of work the headlights work again...lol If your headlight aren't relayed you should look into doing the same. The difference is amazing. The VW stock runs all the current through the headlight switch (that is obsolete now) By running relayed harness you get full battery voltage to the lights instead of having a voltage drop through the switch and all the amps through the switch.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #410 on: September 11, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
I noticed that after I turned the headlights on while idling in the rain yesterday. 

John Twist also has relay schematics for the horn and an electric fan.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
I noticed that after I turned the headlights on while idling in the rain yesterday. 

John Twist also has relay schematics for the horn and an electric fan.

I need to put a relay on the B's headlights.  I've just never got around to it yet. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #412 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
I called a local shop for a quote on new upholstery for the front bench seat.  $600.

Ouch.

edit: Found some front seat upholstery for a 1964 bench from Dearborn Classics for $250 but there are no pictures on their website or catalog.  I've asked them to send me photos of the finished product.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:28:53 AM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #413 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
No luck on finding a Windsor small-block intake/carb at the Pull-a-Part.  They were all EFI.  The Fairmont is still there but I didn't have any luck getting the wheels off the car with the tools I had. (It's not easy to loosen lug nuts when the wheel keeps turning.)

I got the thermostat housing and old thermostat removed from the Fairlane.  I'll put the new thermostat and gasket on tomorrow morning.  What a pain in the ass.  The only wrench I had that would fit past the water pump to the thermostat housing bolt was a 1/4-inch drive/extension.  I swear I thought something was going to break -- either the bolt or my ratchet.

I'm going to check out the new Pick-A-Part down the street.  They have half a dozen pre-EFI trucks and a Maverick.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:53:24 AM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #414 on: September 15, 2013, 09:35:38 AM »
A buddy of mine has a lot of ford parts I can ask him if he has an intake and carb setup he wouldn't mind parting with if ya like. If he does it will be stock parts i'm sure but that's what you are looking for anyway correct?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
A buddy of mine has a lot of ford parts I can ask him if he has an intake and carb setup he wouldn't mind parting with if ya like. If he does it will be stock parts i'm sure but that's what you are looking for anyway correct?
Yep. 

Thanks.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Ill call him today I know he is busy ATM but he will be home later.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »
I'm headed out to the Pick-A-Part to do a little window shopping.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #418 on: September 15, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
That was the most disorganized junkyard I've been to a in a long time.  What a mess.

Replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat and topped off the coolant.  My temp gauge is working now.  Just as I suspected, I'm running hot (somewhere between "normal" and "SHUT THE CAR OFF!!".  It was edging toward the red line when I stalled at the gas station.

It was in the "cool" range when I was driving it back here after I bought it.  Wonder if I can get a fan shroud for this thing.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Yea last couple of junk yards I have been to around here dont have anything I need/want and it ALWAYS under the stack....lol gotta love bad/incorrect gauges. Fan shroud shouldn't be to hard to find or source.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Of course the previous owner bypassed the heater core (and probably removed it entirely).  I have a giant heater hose with a ball valve hanging off of it sitting in my engine compartment.

It was resting against the exhaust manifold (not good).  I "secured" it with some electrical tape.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
I don't believe it... the clothespin trick on the fuel line worked.  It didn't hot stall or vapor lock at the grocery store.  I think it wanted to, but it didn't. 

The choke is still f'ed up and not working right.

I can't tell if my temp gauge is off or if the car is overheating. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:59:33 PM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #422 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
Well its par for the course to have someone bypass the heater core. I like my heat so I fix them...lol

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Well its par for the course to have someone bypass the heater core. I like my heat so I fix them...lol

Up here it is nice to have to keep the ice off the windshield (among other 'things') in the winter.   :-) 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
Up here it is nice to have to keep the ice off the windshield (among other 'things') in the winter.   :-) 

HEHE down south its nice to keep the frost off the pumpkin...as well as the windshield. LOL