Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 150166 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #375 on: August 28, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
Still stalling.  I don't have time to drain the tank this week... I invited my brother to drain it for me (hey, free gas). 

I'll deal with it when I get back from NC.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #376 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Wish I lived closer bubba I would give you a hand with this thing...just seems to me you are fighting a few things at once and sorting those kind of troubles can be a pain. Keep your chin up it will be running SMOOTHLY soon...
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #377 on: September 02, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
Hey Chris_ hows the car coming along? Any progress? Was told you were on vacation so don't know if you had any time to work on the ride.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
Got the gas tank drained.  It's hot outside so I'm indoors working on some new shelves for the walk-in closet. 

I've started pulling trim parts off the dashboard for painting.  There's a bunch of leaves and crud stuck in the ventilation system from the cowl vent and I had to remove the trim to open the air vent anyway.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
Great to hear your working on the ride again....yep the first time I turned on the blower motor in the VW I got my eyes filled with dust and rubbish. hehe I made myself a screen cover for the outside air inlet to stop the leaves from filling the airbox and the blower motor.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #380 on: September 07, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
I keep hearing idiots on the radio telling me "summer is over".  It's 90 degrees out there!

It's hot.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
Got the gas tank back on after removing the filter from the pickup tube.  It fired right up and idled fine.

The choke still isn't working.  I had to replace a couple of the screws that attached the choke housing to the carburetor and they're not holding it in place... it's turning as I step on the gas and either flooding or choking the engine.  Looks like I need some better screws.  All I could find at the time were stainless steel.  :mad:

edit: picked up some hardened #8-32 Allen-head bolts.  Hopefully that will put enough torque on the choke housing to keep it from moving.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:54:00 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
Think I got it.

1. Increasing the idle on a 2-barrel Autolite is counter-clockwise, opposite from the SU HIF's clockwise adjustment.

2. The choke housing retainer was on backward and not applying enough pressure to hold it in place.

3. Torx bits work okay as a temporary replacement for missing Allen wrenches.

I'm going to see if I can get in on the $10 United Way carwash at work tomorrow.  There are a couple of nasty-assed hackberry trees in the backyard and my poor car is covered in shit.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Cool got it to run smoother and start better? Yep tree sap isn't any fun to wash off. The only thing I found worse was bird mess after they eat berries off the neighbors tree (un known berry) and sit in your tree over your car...lol What a mess

Offline Chris_

« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
The choke is still goofed up but I can take the cover off the air cleaner and move it open enough to start the car.  Once it's started, it idles, runs, and shifts through gears okay (I haven't driven it yet).

After that, it seems to run okay.  I'm planning on ditching this 2-barrel Autolite for a new 4-barrel and a 289 intake at some point so I'm not going to worry about it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2013, 10:15:06 PM »
Wish I could replace all of them with SU carbs. :-)

Aftermarket throttle-body kits have hit the big league, but they're a couple grand after taxes and shipping.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
Yep that would be a worth while upgrade, that and a electronic ignition. :hyper: Years ago when I was working in that hot-rod shop in my young 20's we would combine distributors if they didn't make a unit that could be modded to work. My boss (who is still a very good friend of mine) built a HEI unit for a tri-power Pontiac intake small cap distributor. The customer wanted it to look stock but hated points. It worked well all the electronics were outside the distributor under the dash with a heat sink, just the pickup was under the cap.   

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »

Aftermarket throttle-body kits have hit the big league, but they're a couple grand after taxes and shipping.

Would probably be cheaper to get a fuel injected engine and wiring harness and drop it in than buy a after fuel injector kit. hehe

Offline Chris_

« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
Sweet. 

Holley has an aftermarket fuel-injection TBI unit but it's not cheap.  I'm just curious how they integrate an anti-knock and other EFI sensors into their unit. 

I'll probably upgrade to a Pertronix kit at some point.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
Hm, weird.  I loosened the nut holding the air cleaner cover about half a turn and my car's idle improved immediately.

I think it's voodoo.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Hm, weird.  I loosened the nut holding the air cleaner cover about half a turn and my car's idle improved immediately.

I think it's voodoo.

Have you checked the base plate of the carb to make sure it's flat? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
No.

If I have to take the carbuertor off, I'm just going to rebuild the entire thing (I have a feeling it needs a new accelerator pump anyway -- it stumbles when you stomp on the gas too hard).

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

Hey hey, NOW you're speaking my language!!   :cheersmate: :drool:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #393 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
No.

If I have to take the carbuertor off, I'm just going to rebuild the entire thing (I have a feeling it needs a new accelerator pump anyway -- it stumbles when you stomp on the gas too hard).

Well, vacuum leaks can be free to fix, for the most part.  I did notice you mentioned swapping that 2bbl to a 4bbl (I would do the same), but I didn't know if you were trying to limp it along in the meantime, or just throw in the towel altogether.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #394 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Hey hey, NOW you're speaking my language!!   :cheersmate: :drool:
I can live with that. :rofl:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #395 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
Well, vacuum leaks can be free to fix, for the most part.  I did notice you mentioned swapping that 2bbl to a 4bbl (I would do the same), but I didn't know if you were trying to limp it along in the meantime, or just throw in the towel altogether.
I'm trying to get it to run well enough for it to be a reliable daily driver -- something I can jump in to a couple days a week and take it to the office without being half an hour late.

A 4-barrely conversion would probably happen after the rest of the car is finished.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
I'm trying to get it to run well enough for it to be a reliable daily driver -- something I can jump in to a couple days a week and take it to the office without being half an hour late.

A 4-barrely conversion would probably happen after the rest of the car is finished.

Have you been hitting the interwebnets looking for a manifold and carb, or are you sticking with local junkyards?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
I loosened the air cleaner from "tight" to "snug"... maybe a quarter of a turn, just enough for a small amount of air to flow between the cover and the filter housing.  Before, I had it twisted down to the point where there was no air coming in past the cover at all.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
Have you been hitting the interwebnets looking for a manifold and carb, or are you sticking with local junkyards?
I found a 289 Windsor maniforld/carb combo for $75.  Didn't say what kind of carb it was, only that it was a 4-barrel.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2013, 04:50:36 PM »
I found a 289 Windsor maniforld/carb combo for $75.  Didn't say what kind of carb it was, only that it was a 4-barrel.

Do you have any salvage yards around you that specialize in classic cars?