Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148393 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Got it!  The new gauges did the trick.  I set it to the lowest spec (.015) and it fired right up.

I put the engine in neutral and lined up the cam and points manually.  Still idles a little lumpy... not sure what's up with that.  Feels like a couple of weak or misfiring cylinders.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:24:29 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »
 :II:
I knew you would get it soon enough...Depending on your definition of "lumpy" that could be a few things from a fouling plug to vacuum leak. But there is always the points need a few more thousands. The book is factory spec range I have run into cars that needed a slight tad out of what was in the pages to run correctly. Now that you have proper tools to set them Id check the dwell and start tweaking some.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
It feels like a couple of cylinders are a little weak.  Idle and mid-range is a little off.  This thing should be running smoothly without any misfires.

I think I'll pull the plugs and re-gap them.  I didn't have the correct gauge with the previous set I was using.  I verified the firing order -- I know I didn't mess anything up, but it's not that bad.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »
when you pull the plugs look and see if they all have the same deposits on them...i am sure they will not be the nice even light tan/white they should be at this time due to no tuning and the car is older but if you have any that are wet with oil note the cylinder and if you have any that are powdery black,smell of gas or have any discoloration to them note it as well. They all should look alike...or very close. If they are covered in soot its to rich. If you have one or more that is oil fouling there can be a few things that might be the problem, guides or rings. You can tell a lot about an engine from the condition of the plugs.

This NGK page gives a few examples.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
The plugs I pulled all looked the same with a heavy yellow or rust-colored oxidation on the tip.  There was oil around the threads and the base of the plug, but nothing above or below that.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #330 on: August 08, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »
:II:
I knew you would get it soon enough...Depending on your definition of "lumpy" that could be a few things from a fouling plug to vacuum leak. But there is always the points need a few more thousands. The book is factory spec range I have run into cars that needed a slight tad out of what was in the pages to run correctly. Now that you have proper tools to set them Id check the dwell and start tweaking some.

Back in the day, I always set the points to have a tad more spacing than specified. As they'd wear, they'd come down to the specified range.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

« Reply #331 on: August 08, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »
Back in the day, I always set the points to have a tad more spacing than specified. As they'd wear, they'd come down to the specified range.
That's what I had heard.

I have yet to hook up a dwell meter to the car.  I should have time to do that after work today.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:28:31 AM by Chris_ »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #332 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
That's what I had heard.

I have yet to hook up a dwell meter to the car.  I should have time to do that after work today.

what's the timing on that engine?

Never mind, I'll answer the question myself -- 10 deg BTDC (auto tranny).
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #333 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
what's the timing on that engine?

Never mind, I'll answer the question myself -- 10 deg BTDC (auto tranny).
Something like that.  Dwell is 26-28 1/2 degrees.

I wish it would stop raining.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
Found another parts supplier. :II:

http://cgfordparts.com/

Offline Chris_

« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
Step 1: wash, claybar, apply polish, and let the polish sit overnight.

Before:

After:

The excess polish gets wiped off with a terrycloth towel and another layer of polish goes on.  Rinse and repeat. 

Looking good so far. :)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »
Why does the top of your bumper appear dull?  I can't tell if it's dullness I'm looking at, or maybe just slop from the polish and clay bar work you performed.  

The rest of the car looks better already.  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »
Because a previous owner painted over a rust spot instead of fixing it properly. :whatever:

Checked my dwell... a hair less than 27º. 

edit:  I did not clay bar the bumper yet.  I overlooked it today.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:00:12 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »

Not bad for 50-year-old paint. :p

I only did the tops of the fenders and the hood.  Not a great job, but I'm no professional.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
I'd say you're well on your way.

You got a future in body shop work? Probably lots of gigs out there.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »

Not bad for 50-year-old paint. :p

I only did the tops of the fenders and the hood.  Not a great job, but I'm no professional.

Hey looks great...how about a trip down here with that clay bar and have a go at my VW truck  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
Hey looks great...how about a trip down here with that clay bar and have a go at my VW truck  :rotf:
I didn't drop it. :tongue:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
I didn't drop it. :tongue:

:bawl: so sad....why ya wanna be like that.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
Rainy-day project is to repaint the black inserts on the hub caps.  I probably could have done that last weekend but I didn't think to.

Also, I'd like to repaint the steel wheels the same chestnut color as the car and fill in the black space under the whitewalls. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
Broke down again... the starter is fried. 

I should have realized what was happening.  It's not like I've never seen a starter go bad before.  :banghead:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #345 on: August 12, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Broke down again... the starter is fried. 

I should have realized what was happening.  It's not like I've never seen a starter go bad before.  :banghead:

The cool thing is, you might even be able to rebuild the thing yourself. Those starters were meant to last, and actually rebuilt rather than thrown out. Or at least that's the way it used to be.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
The cool thing is, you might even be able to rebuild the thing yourself. Those starters were meant to last, and actually rebuilt rather than thrown out. Or at least that's the way it used to be.

A couple of places near her do that.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #347 on: August 12, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
Are we shade-tree mechanics still working on that damn Fairlane?

Hell, by now there are spiderwebs in the wheelwells and the rubber is all crystallized...
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #348 on: August 12, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
Are we shade-tree mechanics still working on that damn Fairlane?

Hell, by now there are spiderwebs in the wheelwells and the rubber is all crystallized...

:rotf: It gets driven semi-regularly.

I was able to get it restarted and home again to switch out cars.  I'll be buying a new starter on the way home.  Seems like I go through the same thing with every car I buy... the only reliable one has been the MG.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
you have a re-builder near you? I have several and they are usually better than the crap auto parts shops and they can build it better than it was. Years ago I took a starter from a Pontiac to a starter/alt/gen builder close to the shop I was working at. I told the guy it kept going out cause the engine had 11 to 1 compression...so he built me a starter basically for a diesel Oldsmobile in a Pontiac case....worked like a champ. You might want to look into that and your starter problems will be over.