Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148615 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
Yeah, I'd say that's one of your problems then.  DO you have a Mity-vac, or something else that you could use to apply vacuum to one side of the fuel pump's diaphragm? 

I'm wondering if a bunch of rust particles and other debris didn't wipe out your pump's diaphragm. 

:II: he has the ticket...diagnostics id your friend not parts change.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
:II: he has the ticket...diagnostics id your friend not parts change.
I have a fuel pressure gauge but I don't know if that would have helped in this case.  I've never dealt with a mechanical fuel pump, so this is all news to me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
I have a fuel pressure gauge but I don't know if that would have helped in this case.  I've never dealt with a mechanical fuel pump, so this is all news to me.

If you don't mind the taste of a little bit of gas, you can always plug one end of the pump with your thumb or something, and suck on the other end, then plug it with your tongue.  If it's a really bad leak, you'll feel the vacuum leaking. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
I did that earlier with the fuel pickup unit.  It was clear and had no obstructions but I put in a new filter anyway.  The only thing left in the fuel system was the pump.  When I pulled the fuel pickup unit, it was coated with rust particles from the old tank.  Did not look good.

I'm a little upset, I missed the free carwash today.  There's always one in this neighborhood with willing urchins to work for slave wages.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:35:43 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2013, 10:59:27 PM »
Other than the purchase price of the car, my outlay has been about $600, maybe $700 so far, and that includes the claybar and Meguiars I bought last month.

I'm trying to keep it under control. :p

Offline Chris_

« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
I do believe that problem has been fixed.  I was able to shut the car off after driving it to the store and back, restart it, and move it across the driveway.  It doesn't seem to be sputtering and surging like it was before.  I saved the old fuel pump and I'm going to take it apart for a look.

Another problem has occurred.  The trunk won't open and my tools are in there. :(

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
Another problem has occurred.  The trunk won't open and my tools are in there. :(

That sucks.  Be glad they're not stuck in your B's trunk.  It happened to me once.  Nadin it, and you'll see how bad it is to get back in. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
I tried sliding the trunk lid side to side.  No luck.

I'll call a locksmith and have him work on it while I'm at work.  I don't care if he has to drill it out... lock cylinders don't cost much and a locksmith won't cost anything (roadside assistance is pretty awesome).

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »
I tried sliding the trunk lid side to side.  No luck.

I'll call a locksmith and have him work on it while I'm at work.  I don't care if he has to drill it out... lock cylinders don't cost much and a locksmith won't cost anything (roadside assistance is pretty awesome).

Cars of that vintage were usually pretty easy to get into the trunk by taking out the back seat, drive-ins use to hate that.  Or so I have heard.   :whistling:

Then too I have seen more than a few trunks drilled for easy screw driver operation.  If roadside assistance will cover the cost I would say what the hey, drill baby drill.      :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »
I wonder if this 2-bbl Autolite even has a choke on it.  It starts up like it's cold-natured, or like it's not getting enough fuel when it's cold.

It sort of runs that way down the road too.  It just feels weak.  I have yet to replace the cap/rotor, thermostat, or plugs, though.  I should be able to do that during the week if I do one or two things at a time.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
I wonder if this 2-bbl Autolite even has a choke on it.  It starts up like it's cold-natured, or like it's not getting enough fuel when it's cold.

It sort of runs that way down the road too.  It just feels weak.  I have yet to replace the cap/rotor, thermostat, or plugs, though.  I should be able to do that during the week if I do one or two things at a time.

If you haven't touched any of the ignition system, I would start with that first before fiddling with the carburetor. 

Have you checked your timing yet?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
If you haven't touched any of the ignition system, I would start with that first before fiddling with the carburetor. 

Have you checked your timing yet?
Not yet.  I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.  Does that require a timing light?

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Not yet.  I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.  Does that require a timing light?

Ideally, yes.  I'd get an adjustable timing light.  My brother has one, and I use his all the time. :-)

For starters, I would make sure your initial timing is right. 

This might help you:

http://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition_timing.htm

Do you have vacuum advance, and do you know if it is working?  Have you looked inside the distributor to make sure the advance weights are free (not rusted/broken springs)?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
I haven't looked at anything. :-)

I'll have to check and see what kind of distributor this is.  It may require more than a cap and rotor.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
http://www.custompistols.com/cars/articles/ignition_timing.htm

Do you have vacuum advance, and do you know if it is working?  Have you looked inside the distributor to make sure the advance weights are free (not rusted/broken springs)?
Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about.  I'll give it a shot this weekend.  Supposed to be nice here.

This car has a little over 70k miles on it.  I'm concerned about the timing chain... I don't know if it's ever been replaced.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about.  I'll give it a shot this weekend.  Supposed to be nice here.

This car has a little over 70k miles on it.  I'm concerned about the timing chain... I don't know if it's ever been replaced.

My experience is that it takes more than 70K miles to cause any appreciable stretch in a timing chain. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
Even one that's 50 years old?

Again, I don't know if this thing's ever been changed.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »

When I pulled the 350 out of the Firebird it had the factory chain it was worn some but was still going strong at 160k. So don't worry about that to much unless you are planning to be putting some power to it then you might need to go through the motor. 
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
I haven't looked at anything. :-)

I'll have to check and see what kind of distributor this is.  It may require more than a cap and rotor.

Points and condenser? Unless the setup isn't original any more, I'd think that would be what you'd need.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
Points and condenser? Unless the setup isn't original any more, I'd think that would be what you'd need.
I already bought the parts but haven't put them on yet.  I was going to do that Sunday but it rained all day.  The only thing I had time for was replacing the fuel pump.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Even one that's 50 years old?

Again, I don't know if this thing's ever been changed.

Yup.  Age won't hurt a chain, miles will.   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Got it.  The key wasn't going in fully.  I tapped the end with a hammer and it slid in all the way.  Seems to be working fine now.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #272 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »
My brother has a timing light I can use.

It's on. :II:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
That's an improvement.  I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs.  It's running smoother but still takes 2-3 tries to get it to start up after sitting overnight or for a few hours.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
That's an improvement.  I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs.  It's running smoother but still takes 2-3 tries to get it to start up after sitting overnight or for a few hours.

What kind of carburetor do you have?