Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 151298 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
The one design element that bugs me is the giant greenhouse.  I don't care for modern aesthetics that do the exact opposite, but riding around in a short car with a giant bubble on top is kind of weird.

That's my only complaint.  I remember my friend's '72 Scamp was the same way.

HAHA man it the Jetsons don't ya know...that was the thing the auto designers did in the early to mid 60 was make more room man....all the hot rodders chopped the top and sectioned the body to get rid of the room....lol
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
HAHA man it the Jetsons don't ya know...that was the thing the auto designers did in the early to mid 60 was make more room man....all the hot rodders chopped the top and sectioned the body to get rid of the room....lol

Chopped and dropped the top, sectioned the body. Ah, the memories.......  :wink:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
I can remember my oldest brother's '50 Mercury "lead sled"... chopped and dropped, channeled, not a bit of bondo on it...  sumbitch weighed about 500 lbs. more than stock!!! Those were the days!!   :o  :-)  :hyper:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:06:14 PM by Mike B the Cajun »
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
I bet a lot of people never heard of using lead instead of bondo.   I had am MGB that had had work done on the hood before I got it with bondo that spider cracked something awful.  The guy who re-did it was an old school guy who used lead.  Never had a problem after that.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »
I can remember my oldest brother's '50 Mercury "lead sled"... chopped and dropped, channeled, not a bit of bondo on it...  sumbitch weighed about 500 lbs. more than stock!!! Those were the days!!   :o  :-)  :hyper:

Lead Sled anyone?  :cheersmate:
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
I bet a lot of people never heard of using lead instead of bondo.   I had am MGB that had had work done on the hood before I got it with bondo that spider cracked something awful.  The guy who re-did it was an old school guy who used lead.  Never had a problem after that.

The c-pillars and roof panel on my 66 Toronado were blended with lead from the factory.  At least I think it was factory, because the original paint was over the lead.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
The Firebird is the same on the quarters to the roof seam...factory lead. It is a lost art...but the guys that can still do it are amazing.

For those that don't know about the technique here is a short article with pictures of the guy working lead.

http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/articles/tech/metal-work/quarter-panel-leading.html

Offline CG6468

« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
A guy I knew back in 1960-61 had a '56 Merc. It had so much lead in it that no one believed it.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
My new gas tank arrived.  I'm a little annoyed... I told them to deliver it to me at work.  I just found it sitting by the front door at home.  But on the other hand, I should be able to go for a drive and not have my car stop running. 

It may rain tomorrow.  I guess that would be a good time to replace the bulbs in the dash.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
Hmm. :devious:

This looks like an interesting upgrade.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2013, 05:58:32 AM »
Looks like a real complex job.  :bolt:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
Looks like a real complex job.  :bolt:

I wouldn't say that.  The most complex part of the job appears to be making sure that the holes you drill out are where they need to be.  Measure three times, and drill once.  If you make a mistake and have a few holes that are wrong, just tell your friends those are speed holes you put in, for lightening purposes. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
I wouldn't say that.  The most complex part of the job appears to be making sure that the holes you drill out are where they need to be.  Measure three times, and drill once.  If you make a mistake and have a few holes that are wrong, just tell your friends those are speed holes you put in, for lightening purposes. :-)
Don't tell anyone, but you can buy a template with the holes already marked.

The hardest part to me looks like getting the spring out without killing yourself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:31:40 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Yeah, I saw that.  The cost of the templates is justified, based on amount of time it would take me to get the right metal, measure it, cut it out, cut the pilot holes, and then measure it all again.

I am unsure if those templates will work for your application.  Do you know if they will?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
Yeah, I saw that.  The cost of the templates is justified, based on amount of time it would take me to get the right metal, measure it, cut it out, cut the pilot holes, and then measure it all again.

I am unsure if those templates will work for your application.  Do you know if they will?
I think it should since the Fairlane and Mustang are both based on the Falcon.  I've seen people say it worked on their cars.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »

The hardest part to me looks like getting the spring out without killing yourself.

Yeah - this is what makes the job fairly complex. If you've done that type of job before and you've got the tools and the time, probably not a big deal. But compressing springs ain't in my genes.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
Yeah - this is what makes the job fairly complex. If you've done that type of job before and you've got the tools and the time, probably not a big deal. But compressing springs ain't in my genes.

Yea spring are no joke. I have done dozens of front end jobs over the years of being a mechanic in my previous life... :) If you haven't dealt with springs before please find a friend that has to help...I have a friend that is a ford guy that has an old Torino. He has done a lot of front end mustang mods if you would like I can get you in touch with him ....I also have a few other friends that are familiar with your ride. I will ask what advice they will give you if you like bud.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
:bawl: No improvement.  It loses pressure immediately after being shut off and conked out again at a red light on the way home.  I wonder if the fuel pump may be failing or not holding pressure.  I don't see any fuel leaks.

It's a good thing fuel pumps aren't expensive.

I replaced the fuel filter in the tank but have not replaced the one attached to the fuel pump.  It's still the one I was using last week with the old crud-filled tank.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:45:39 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
:bawl: No improvement.  It loses pressure immediately after being shut off and conked out again at a red light on the way home.  I wonder if the fuel pump may be failing or not holding pressure.  I don't see any fuel leaks.

It's a good thing fuel pumps aren't expensive.

I replaced the fuel filter in the tank but have not replaced the one attached to the fuel pump.  It's still the one I was using last week with the old crud-filled tank.

Are you running a mechanical fuel pump?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »
Yes.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #245 on: July 20, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »
Cool, the NAPA store has one in stock.  That store's been there for decades... they have all kinds of parts in stock.

Looks like I'll be picking up one tomorrow. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Does it take a few seconds to start?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
Yes, it does.  I have to pump the accelerator to fill the carb.

It also misses when it's hot, but that could be something else.  I picked up a cap and rotor, new plugs, and a new thermostat as well.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd say that's one of your problems then.  DO you have a Mity-vac, or something else that you could use to apply vacuum to one side of the fuel pump's diaphragm? 

I'm wondering if a bunch of rust particles and other debris didn't wipe out your pump's diaphragm. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd say that's one of your problems then.  DO you have a Mity-vac, or something else that you could use to apply vacuum to one side of the fuel pump's diaphragm? 

I'm wondering if a bunch of rust particles and other debris didn't wipe out your pump's diaphragm. 
I have one somewhere.  I tried to find it earlier today.

A replacement pump and filter is about $40.  Might as well pick one up tomorrow, but it's raining again and probably will be all day Sunday.  It's coming down in buckets right now.