Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148538 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
WOW its in fairly good shape...how did you manage that bud....hehe
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
WOW its in fairly good shape...how did you manage that bud....hehe
It's amazing how nice a tiny, little picture makes it look. :-)

It's going to look nice when I get to work on it.  It's just the inside that's going to cost me some coin.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
It's amazing how nice a tiny, little picture makes it look. :-)

It's going to look nice when I get to work on it.  It's just the inside that's going to cost me some coin.

They all cost coin. What I have found working at shops years ago that do restoration work is sometimes it is better and cheaper to get a local upholstery shop that is reputable and likes old rides (cause they will do it correctly and to original specs). There is a few shops here that has been here for years and they do fine work. One specializes in muscle care era interiors and custom street rods.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
I ordered some "reproduction" seat covers for my 280ZX... nowhere close.  The seams were off, it was missing some trim pieces.  I was pissed.  I'm going to call a couple of vendors and ask them for detailed pictures before I start ordering upholstery.

As soon as I can get it washed, I'm going to claybar it.  It should be an improvement.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
I ordered some "reproduction" seat covers for my 280ZX... nowhere close.  The seams were off, it was missing some trim pieces.  I was pissed.  I'm going to call a couple of vendors and ask them for detailed pictures before I start ordering upholstery.

As soon as I can get it washed, I'm going to claybar it.  It should be an improvement.

Claybars are battlehymn's kryptonite.  I always manage to drop them, which ruins them. 

I'm on my third bar or fourth bar, and have never actually used one up. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
:rofl: Can't you just rinse it off with water?

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »
:rofl: Can't you just rinse it off with water?

I've tried that before, and you can't ever get them clean again.  Once they get a nice dusting of driveway or garage dirt on them, they're spent.  It's like trying to pick grains of sand out of play-doh.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
I have a sealed driveway.  Maybe I'll be okay.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
I have a sealed driveway.  Maybe I'll be okay.

Just imagine if you missed even one tiny grain of dirt, and drug it across the middle of a smooth, flat panel of paint.  :-)

I've found the easiest thing to do is drive cars that I don't worry about the paint on anymore.   :whistling:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
True, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few bars of clay for a shiny, clear finish.  We're talking about doubling the value of this car with a few days effort.

This thing is going to be sweet.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »

Just imagine if you missed even one tiny grain of dirt, and drug it across the middle of a smooth, flat panel of paint.  :-)

I've found the easiest thing to do is drive cars that I don't worry about the paint on anymore.   :whistling:
I usually tend to be in the same boat as BattleHymn :rofl:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »
I usually tend to be in the same boat as BattleHymn :rofl:

I just finished up giving the Coach a Brazilian, it is a big job, a lot of wax on an wax off. I will up load some pics when I get a minute. 

You really don't want a grain of sand in the clay bar. Better to get a new one.  I use Maguire's spray detailer when clay baring, but used Mother's Step 2 Brazilian Cleaner and a Porter Cable buffer on the Coach .  Clay baring the Coach?  Not going to happen. :whatever:

It was 116 deg in  sun in the backyard when I came in although the coach was in the shade.  Air temp had to be in the 80+ range so it was getting to hot to apply wax if I hadn't already finished.   

Nice pics Chris.  Seat covers?  Get an upholsterer it will be cheaper in the long run.  Heck head to TJ for a Vacay and get it done there.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
WTF is a claybar???

Is that like a claymore with the warning printed wrong?   :evillaugh:

:-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »
It's... a bar of clay.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html#post313910

Interesting. Never would've thunk that a bar of clay takes off oxidation and above-surface contaminants.

I won't be doing that kinda work anytime soon, though.  :tongue:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Interesting. Never would've thunk that a bar of clay takes off oxidation and above-surface contaminants.

Its a labor of love.   Of course in the Navy we had a saying "work it may, shine it must." 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
If I can make my $2,700 car look like a $5,000 car with a few hours of work, that's money in my pocket.  My insurance uses declared value on my policy, so every bit helps.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

HAHA well wont do anything I own any good...but will keep it in the "ole bag o tricks" for later.  :II:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
What condition is that Opel in?  I thought it had something that looked like paint on it. :rofl:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
What condition is that Opel in?  I thought it had something that looked like paint on it. :rofl:

Yea the PO painted the car. The base coat was done right with the exception of where he covered rust....but you cant spray clear on at .050 thick... :rofl: it just peels off in sheets. And you cant put Bondo on at a thickness of .250 ....just to much. :hammer:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
Yea the PO painted the car.
Say no more.

I'm really lucky.  There's not a chip or scratch on this car aside from the damage on the right rear quarter that's been Bondo'd and painted over.  My brother mentioned the fins might not be level, but I haven't broken out the straight edge and laser level to verify.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Say no more.

I'm really lucky.  There's not a chip or scratch on this car aside from the damage on the right rear quarter that's been Bondo'd and painted over.  My brother mentioned the fins might not be level, but I haven't broken out the straight edge and laser level to verify.

Do yourself a favor and just enjoy the car for a while. Don't go checking stuff with a strait edge....I have that disease BAD! so trust me just take one thing at a time or it will cause you sleepless nights. On a lighter note I hope that clay bar does your paint some good....it don't look to bad from the pics. I am interested how well it works.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »
The one design element that bugs me is the giant greenhouse.  I don't care for modern aesthetics that do the exact opposite, but riding around in a short car with a giant bubble on top is kind of weird.

That's my only complaint.  I remember my friend's '72 Scamp was the same way.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »
Nice pics Chris.  Seat covers?  Get an upholsterer it will be cheaper in the long run.  Heck head to TJ for a Vacay and get it done there.
The seat covers are temporary, to keep the duct tape and old stink off my clothes.  They were only $30.