Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148381 times)

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »
Yep the Firebird currently has four wheel drums.....and if the stars aren't aligned just right you pull or shake at speed etc. When I used to go to the track years ago I would pass through the trap at over 100 and would just make the last pit exit with the wheels squealing....lol drum brakes suck. I will be going to disk when it hits the pavement again, maybe all four wheels. But will have to do some parts sourcing cause I am not going to buy a "kit".  :p
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
And then there is the story of the self adjusters which were put on the wrong sides...  I will have to see if I still have the pictures.  Yes, the "Cuda" is all original, including the small bolt four wheel drum brakes.  I have thought about the upgrade to front disk a thousand times and end up in an infinite loop of ' keep it all original or upgrade '   Once you pop that cherry it is never the same, each new mod gets easier and easier until you have a repli-car, a Franken-auto if you will. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
And then there is the story of the self adjusters which were put on the wrong sides...  I will have to see if I still have the pictures.  Yes, the "Cuda" is all original, including the small bolt four wheel drum brakes.  I have thought about the upgrade to front disk a thousand times and end up in an infinite loop of ' keep it all original or upgrade '   Once you pop that cherry it is never the same, each new mod gets easier and easier until you have a repli-car, a Franken-auto if you will. 

I hear ya....the Firebird was a grandma special when I got it no options really except a/c (which I kept) 350 cid 2 bbl carb/ 2 speed auto th200 if remember correctly, power steering and power brakes. I promptly pulled said motor and trans when i was 18 and replaced with a 400 cid 4 bbl / TH400. kept all options and there were a lot of speed parts....replaced the rear end with a 3.55 out of a 67 Firebird. It had like 2.73 or something. The car with the original 2 speed would do like 70 in first, but not a burn out in site...lol. This body style and options was the run of the mill so I really don't have a problem with all the upgrades / changes. I will never get rid of the car so i'm making it mine. It would be a different ball of wax if it was originally a 400 car or original 4 speed car, they were not a dime a dozen. By the time I'm done (hopefully) there will be a shortened rear end and a de-stroked 455 with 5 speed manual pushing it through the air....oh and 4 wheel disk  ::)
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Bought a replacement battery.  It fires up almost immediately now. 

This transmission is a piece of crap.  There is supposed to be a vacuum shift modulator or some kind of kickdown adjust, but this thing keeps slamming down into first coming to a stop.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:25:39 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
Bought a replacement battery.  It fires up almost immediately now. 

This transmission is a piece of crap.  There is supposed to be a vacuum shift modulator or some kind of kickdown adjust, but this thing keeps slamming down into first coming to a stop.

Is there no sort of modulator at all?  Does this help?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658338&showall=1

Offline Chris_

« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »
There is supposed to be a vacuum modulator with an adjust screw attached to the transmission.  I haven't had the air cleaner off long enough to see any kickdown hardware, or under the car to find any modulator.

edit: http://www.dearbornclassics.com/ford-shift-modulator-valve-automatic-transmission.html

I did put on the seat cover to cover up that horrible duct tape/residue on the seat.  Priorities. :-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:44:08 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
I'm not a ford guy but transmissions are "usually" similar, the adjustable module will be on the trans and there will be a vacuum line attached there is usually a slot screwdriver adjustment in the vacuum line port. It is a fine adjustment so do small adjustments and then test.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
I found the part... I just need to locate it on the car.  The notes I read said to turn clockwise to increase the RPM shift point and vice versa.  I think it may be set too low or needs to be replaced.  The fluid in the transmission is clean and looks new.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/ford-shift-modulator-valve-automatic-transmission.html

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
well when you remove the vacuum line if trans fluid leaks out of the line change the module it is bad and is leaking.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
Haven't got that far yet.  I don't even know where this thing is located. :p

It could just be a vacuum leak.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »
How bad is the seat? 

I just got done replacing the seat on my old dodge truck for $28 at the u-pull-it.  A found a seat in a 63 Dodge truck that somebody had recently had completely redone with vinyl. 

With my old seat, on the driver's side it was mostly duct tape.  On the passenger side, it would have looked new, had I cleaned it.  The springs were gone and everything on the driver's side.  It had some serious bachelor lean going on.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
The passenger side is fine.  The upholstery on the driver's side has completely fallen apart and one of the previous owners covered the entire thing with duct tape.  It stinks, the duct tape is filthy, and leaves a sticky mess on you if you sit on it.  It's still usable, hence the seat cover.

I would spring for a replacement bench, but I want to have the original seat recovered.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
The passenger side is fine.  The upholstery on the driver's side has completely fallen apart and one of the previous owners covered the entire thing with duct tape.  It stinks, the duct tape is filthy, and leaves a sticky mess on you if you sit on it.  It's still usable, hence the seat cover.

I would spring for a replacement bench, but I want to have the original seat recovered.

Yup, sounds exactly like the seat in my old Dodge.  I was just going to put a cover on it, and stuff it in with some foam, before I found that seat for so cheap.

Are you going to go with cloth, vinyl, or cloth/vinyl?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
I hear ya....the Firebird was a grandma special when I got it no options really except a/c (which I kept) 350 cid 2 bbl carb/ 2 speed auto th200 if remember correctly, power steering and power brakes. I promptly pulled said motor and trans when i was 18 and replaced with a 400 cid 4 bbl / TH400. kept all options and there were a lot of speed parts....replaced the rear end with a 3.55 out of a 67 Firebird. It had like 2.73 or something. The car with the original 2 speed would do like 70 in first, but not a burn out in site...lol. This body style and options was the run of the mill so I really don't have a problem with all the upgrades / changes. I will never get rid of the car so i'm making it mine. It would be a different ball of wax if it was originally a 400 car or original 4 speed car, they were not a dime a dozen. By the time I'm done (hopefully) there will be a shortened rear end and a de-stroked 455 with 5 speed manual pushing it through the air....oh and 4 wheel disk  ::)

I have been watching a Z28 slowly rotting away just down the road.  Sad.  Looks like maybe a 70's era. I can't understand why thy don't sell it.  It just sits there on four flat tires.  It would be a great project for someone. (not me).  Then there is the Studebaker Hawk rotting in the same neighborhood.   :bawl: 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
Haven't got that far yet.  I don't even know where this thing is located. :p

It could just be a vacuum leak.

In my wild and misspent 'ute ('67) I bought a used ('62?) Ford Falcon.   Interesting vehicle.  Had vacuum operated wipers and no heater (it was a Floriduh car, Miami to be exact).  It you hit the gas when it was raining (in Miami it can rain with a clear blue sky) the wipers would stop momentarily.  Um, no.  Not a good thing in blinding rain.  But then that was the least of its problems.  It also featured the two speed mystery shift Ford transmission.  It sort or flowed into and out of gear not the solid shift I had been use to with Mopar or even Chevy automatics. It was called Rupert the Rolling Bagel, which I got rid of as fast as possible.  Didn't have another Ford until I got a '96 Winstar which shifted fine but had a host of other issues. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
:thatsright::banghead::maddernhell:

Stranded again.  I knew I should have bought a new battery cable yesterday.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
I have been watching a Z28 slowly rotting away just down the road.  Sad.  Looks like maybe a 70's era. I can't understand why thy don't sell it.  It just sits there on four flat tires. 
... on the wet grass as it rusts from the bottom up.

I hate those kinds of people.  "I'm saving it."  Not like that, you're not.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
... on the wet grass as it rusts from the bottom up.

I hate those kinds of people.  "I'm saving it."  Not like that, you're not.

Actually it is on tar but in New England and outdoors it gets covered in snow.  Looks good from fifty feet but I can imagine what it looks like up close and personal. 

For chuckles I looked up the cost of putting disks up front on 'Cuda.  Part kits run about 8 bills but it also requires a rim (bolt pattern changes). Of course rally wheels would be nice along with an 8 3/4 rear with ten inch drums.  $$$$ $igh.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
I have been watching a Z28 slowly rotting away just down the road.  Sad.  Looks like maybe a 70's era. I can't understand why thy don't sell it.  It just sits there on four flat tires.  It would be a great project for someone. (not me).  Then there is the Studebaker Hawk rotting in the same neighborhood

Sounds like my 72' split bumper. Can't afford to fix it up and the wife won't let me sell it.    :p
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Got that taken care of.  The old ground cable was toast... the insulation was falling off and the exposed wire was rusty and corroded.  The replacement I picked up was almost too short but I got it to fit and the car seems to be running well now.  It could use a tune-up

For chuckles I looked up the cost of putting disks up front on 'Cuda.  Part kits run about 8 bills but it also requires a rim (bolt pattern changes). Of course rally wheels would be nice along with an 8 3/4 rear with ten inch drums.  $$$$ $igh.
I can always use the standard Granada/Mustang II spindles.  The "kit" is basically an adapter that you braise on to the base of the spindle.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
Glad you got it running again Chris...and it was easy fix.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
I knew it was too good to be true... damn car is back to running like crap again.  I drove it down to the office on Music Valley Drive because I left my computer there and I'm on call this week.  I think the alternator may be toast or the ground cable isn't secured, but my multimeter went on the fritz before I could test anything.  It's also acting like the fuel filter may be clogged again.  The symptoms are similar.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:13:33 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
Ordered a new gas tank.   :banghead:

I guess I can work on cleaning the car until it arrives.  I'm interested in seeing how this Meguiars #7 works out.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
Got a new voltmeter.  The battery measured 12.4v with the engine off and 13.4-13.7 at idle.  It's GOT to be the fuel system.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to putting some polish on this thing.  It's going to look sweet.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »