Author Topic: I've changed my mind.  (Read 17314 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: I've changed my mind.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
I've decided to become a contributing member if it's okay with certain people here. It's important that people know that I'm not all about a certain subject.

My name is Lanie. I'm seeking special education licensure because I want to teach and it's in really high demand. I also think that those who have disabilities can be empowered in ways that most don't realize.

I'm a Catholic. Go to mass once a week. Everytime I'm in the bookstore, I normally seek out the religious material. I particularly like Max Lucado and Joyce (can't remember her last name). I have no boyfriend, but open minded to guys who doesn't go at 90 mph.

I like to take afternoon walks, but it's getting dangerously hot lately.

Okay.

In other words:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lanie

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »
I've decided to become a contributing member if it's okay with certain people here. It's important that people know that I'm not all about a certain subject.

My name is Lanie. I'm seeking special education licensure because I want to teach and it's in really high demand. I also think that those who have disabilities can be empowered in ways that most don't realize.

I'm a Catholic. Go to mass once a week. Everytime I'm in the bookstore, I normally seek out the religious material. I particularly like Max Lucado and Joyce (can't remember her last name). I have no boyfriend, but open minded to guys who doesn't go at 90 mph.

I like to take afternoon walks, but it's getting dangerously hot lately.

Okay.

In other words:

Look who is talking.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
Are you the same Lanie that used to be at FR?

Offline Lanie

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 09:47:57 PM »

No.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 09:53:20 PM »

No.

Just curious as to the name,that one ended up at CP.

Welcome to CC. :)

Offline Lanie

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

No.

Just curious as to the name,that one ended up at CP.

Welcome to CC. :)

Thanks. :)

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:34 AM »
I second Freedumb's post.

By all means, contribute to CC. We welcome it. And the rest of you need to take her at her word until proven otherwise.

Is Hell freezing over already?
Just what we need, another freakin' worthless libtard here.
You're welcome at CU, gidget, go over there and play with gator.
Ah, let her stay.  At least she's polite.  And she can spell! 

No, I can't. :D
U do beter thn a teh 'tards.   :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
I also think that those who have disabilities can be empowered in ways that most don't realize.

Empowered?

Everybody likes to feel that they can do things for themselves. I once heard this story discussing this man who was in an institution his entire life. They didn't think he could learn anything. But somebody did think he could learn letters and sounds. So he worked with him to find ways he could learn it. One day, the instructor tried to get this man to spell something. He wouldn't spell that particular word, but he spelt out "thank you". I realize that story is rare, but it made me cry. Okay, me sensitive. Later.

While I am glad that this story inspired you, I question it is a real event that occurred.    I could go off on a soapbx here, but will refrain from doing so.    Students present with varying levels of abilities, strengths and weaknesses.   Every student is capable of learning.   That is the simple premise you need to embrace while obtaining your goal of becoming a special education teacher.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
I have a couple of questions for lanie Don't recall your stance on abortion but How do you reconcile being Catholic with being pro-choice?{If you are pro choice} Number two...Why do some of these people apparently despise you, do you think?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:10:34 PM by Toastedturningtidelegs »
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Lauri

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
I have a couple of questions for bridget. Don't recall your stance on abortion but How do you reconcile being Catholic with being pro-choice?{If you are pro choice} Number two...Why do some of these people apparently despise you, do you think?

i havent talked to Lanie much at all over the years... i do know she has a rep for long posts, but i dont know what the content is.

Lanie, thats a good question up above... why do you think people react to you like they do?

Offline Lanie

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
I have a couple of questions for bridget. Don't recall your stance on abortion but How do you reconcile being Catholic with being pro-choice?{If you are pro choice} Number two...Why do some of these people apparently despise you, do you think?

i havent talked to Lanie much at all over the years... i do know she has a rep for long posts, but i dont know what the content is.

Lanie, thats a good question up above... why do you think people react to you like they do?

Two reasons.

1) I showed up in response to stuff being said about people on another board, friends of mine. I found it as offensive as some of you all might find what I said to them. Normally not the way to get on the right foot.

2) Certain posters flat out admit to not wanting liberals here. They're free to put me on ignore.

I'm normally a very nice person. If I'm spoken to in a normal manner, then I have no problem with responding respectfully. If I'm treated really badly, then I admit that I have problems behaving. I've often held back bad words, but it's nearly impossible if ten to fifteen people are piling on. I just see no point in being nice then. I realize that I'm not a perfect poster, but I've found in different cyber environments, people don't have a problem with me. Most people agree that I'm a nice person at other places. I am a nice person, and a smart person. I won't listen to anybody tell me differently anymore. Now, if somebody wants to pick apart my argument, then I'm open minded to that.

As for how I reconcile being a pro-choice Catholic, I'm saving that for a day when I haven't already been bulldozed for no good reason. I probably won't post here a lot because people here are not nice from what I can tell. And yes, I am getting too old to put up with that. And no, I won't hold myself as the only person responsible for things going wrong because I get along just fine in other environments (oddly enough, none of them liberal and real life is even one of them).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:21:41 PM by Lanie »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
Quote from: Lanie
As for how I reconcile being a pro-choice Catholic, I'm saving that for a day when I haven't already been bulldozed for no good reason. I probably won't post here a lot because people here are not nice from what I can tell. And yes, I am getting too old to put up with that. And no, I won't hold myself as the only person responsible for things going wrong because I get along just fine in other environments (oddly enough, none of them liberal and real life is even one of them).

Sorry, but you can't be.  Catholicism is not a buffet plan like many Protestant churches. With Catholicism, you take the whole thing or you just aren't a Catholic.  You might be a good something else, but you are NOT a Catholic.

Endorsement of murder of any kind, especially the murder of innocent babies, is a Mortal Sin.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »

Sorry, but you can't be.  Catholicism is not a buffet plan like many Protestant churches. With Catholicism, you take the whole thing or you just aren't a Catholic.  You might be a good something else, but you are NOT a Catholic.

Endorsement of murder of any kind, especially the murder of innocent babies, is a Mortal Sin.

Yes the Catechism is crystal clear about abortion. Abortion is only justified when saving the mother's life (not health, but "life")
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »

That applies to sex before marriage, contraceptives and pretty much everything else the Catholic religion has a stance on.     If she has been baptized then she is Catholic, and her beliefs are between her and God.   Whether or not she can receive communion, or should be excommunicated is up to her parish, not us. 

I am a cradle to grave Catholic who misses mass on many occassions, have great issue with the Pope concerning the Church's position on infertility treatment, and a few other things I find to be just silly.    A Bishop performed my wedding ceremony, and dang if he doesn't consider me a Catholic.   Imagine?

Catholics aren't supposed to judge others by the way.   I learned that when I was five I think -- the nuns beat it into me in Catholic School.  :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »

That applies to sex before marriage, contraceptives and pretty much everything else the Catholic religion has a stance on.     If she has been baptized then she is Catholic, and her beliefs are between her and God.   Whether or not she can receive communion, or should be excommunicated is up to her parish, not us. 

I am a cradle to grave Catholic who misses mass on many occassions, have great issue with the Pope concerning the Church's position on infertility treatment, and a few other things I find to be just silly.    A Bishop performed my wedding ceremony, and dang if he doesn't consider me a Catholic.   Imagine?

Catholics aren't supposed to judge others by the way.   I learned that when I was five I think -- the nuns beat it into me in Catholic School.  :)

I wasn't judging (at least on the Catholic part)-- I was providing the objective analysis.  One of the hallmarks of Catholicism is its adherence to the catechism.  You can stray, but you are supposed to see your sin, promise not to repeat it, and request atonement.  If you disagree on peripheral issues, fine.  Did you have a discussion with said Bishop about your difference with the Church?  Or did you lie by omission and hide your true feelings?  I didn't make the rules, I am just describing them.

As far as murdering babies, well you ARE supposed to see evil and identify it as such.  Someone who says "we shouldn't judge" is abdicating the ability to discern. 

ps: I am an ex-Catholic. But I know the doctrine very, very well.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »

I wasn't judging (at least on the Catholic part)-- I was providing the objective analysis.  One of the hallmarks of Catholicism is its adherence to the catechism.  You can stray, but you are supposed to see your sin, promise not to repeat it, and request atonement.  If you disagree on peripheral issues, fine.  Did you have a discussion with said Bishop about your difference with the Church?  Or did you lie by omission and hide your true feelings?  I didn't make the rules, I am just describing them.

As far as murdering babies, well you ARE supposed to see evil and identify it as such.  Someone who says "we shouldn't judge" is abdicating the ability to discern. 

ps: I am an ex-Catholic. But I know the doctrine very, very well.

HAHA, no I did not lie to the Bishop.   He is a family friend and knows my feelings pretty clearly, as do many other priests that I have had discussions with on the issue of infertility treatment.   

I know the doctrine rather well myself, and until she is excommunicated then she is Catholic.    It is a very rare breed of Catholic who embraces the religion in its entirety, nuts to soup -- as I think is the case for pretty much every religion.   

Kerry and Kennedy are still Catholics by the way.  They receive communion, and have not been excommunicated even though they are extremely vocal and high profile about their position on abortion. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »

HAHA, no I did not lie to the Bishop.   He is a family friend and knows my feelings pretty clearly, as do many other priests that I have had discussions with on the issue of infertility treatment.   

I know the doctrine rather well myself, and until she is excommunicated then she is Catholic.    It is a very rare breed of Catholic who embraces the religion in its entirety, nuts to soup -- as I think is the case for pretty much every religion.   

Kerry and Kennedy are still Catholics by the way.  They receive communion, and have not been excommunicated even though they are extremely vocal and high profile about their position on abortion. 

So modern American Catholicism has rejected Doctrine.  So being a Catholic has lost all meaning.  And how the Eucharist doesn't burn the tongue of everyone in the kennedy clan is beyond me -- but that is between God and them.

Not enforcing it doesn't change doctrine, any more than not enforcing immigration laws makes the illegal aliens any less illegal.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »

So modern American Catholicism has rejected Doctrine.  So being a Catholic has lost all meaning.  And how the Eucharist doesn't burn the tongue of everyone in the kennedy clan is beyond me -- but that is between God and them.

Not enforcing it doesn't change doctrine, any more than not enforcing immigration laws makes the illegal aliens any less illegal.

Not enforcing it does not change doctrine, but it also does not make your statement that Lanie is not a Catholic true.  She is by baptism, and will be until the day she is excommunicated  -- that is doctrine also. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »

Not enforcing it does not change doctrine, but it also does not make your statement that Lanie is not a Catholic true.  She is by baptism, and will be until the day she is excommunicated  -- that is doctrine also. 
You didn't understand my point.  Catholicism doesn't allow picking and choosing. Yes, at the periphery there are many subjects that are up for discussion and dispute.  Abortion is not one of those.

If you are a Catholic, it is because you believe it is God's Church.  As such, when you stray from Doctrine, you stray from the Church and thus from God.  Cheating on Doctrine and not getting caught is like cheating on your spouse and not getting caught.  It doesn't mean you aren't unfaithful.  You may continue to be married de jure, but you certainly are not married de facto.

So my statement is accurate.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »

You didn't understand my point.  Catholicism doesn't allow picking and choosing. Yes, at the periphery there are many subjects that are up for discussion and dispute.  Abortion is not one of those.

If you are a Catholic, it is because you believe it is God's Church.  As such, when you stray from Doctrine, you stray from the Church and thus from God.  Cheating on Doctrine and not getting caught is like cheating on your spouse and not getting caught.  It doesn't mean you aren't unfaithful.  You may continue to be married de jure, but you certainly are not married de facto.

So my statement is accurate.

No actually it isn't.   If you followed the Kerry excommunication discussions back in 2004 you would see where the Vatican stands on this specific issue.   It is not your place, or my place for that matter, to make judgement on a Catholic's status with their religion or Church.   That applies to Kennedy and Kerry also.   

She is pro-choice, that If is between here and her parish as to her standing in the Church.   If the Catholic religion had an all or nothing mandate they would have pretty much no members.   Anywhere.   The Catholic religion allowed practicing gays priests to perform mass did they not?   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »

No actually it isn't.   If you followed the Kerry excommunication discussions back in 2004 you would see where the Vatican stands on this specific issue.   It is not your place, or my place for that matter, to make judgement on a Catholic's status with their religion or Church.   That applies to Kennedy and Kerry also.   

She is pro-choice, that If is between here and her parish as to her standing in the Church.   If the Catholic religion had an all or nothing mandate they would have pretty much no members.   Anywhere.   The Catholic religion allowed practicing gays priests to perform mass did they not?   

No, it is.  As I said, Catholicism IS an "all or nothing" doctrine.  Skirting the issues doesn't change the underlying fundamentals.  You are arguing de jure and I am arguing de facto.

And please, O Please, provide a link where the Vatican has acknowledged gay priests, much less allowed them to perform mass.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:48 PM »
I'm surprised no one has offered her a "No one gives a ****". What she's doing is Freudian. "Ok, I've changed my mind", "You guys should be elated and on your knees thanking me since the great Bridget/Lanie has decided to grace you with my presence".

No Lanie, to be honest? I don't give a ****. You offered nothing to establish yourself here. That's the problem. You're a liberal. This is a conservative site. I know I keep dropping Mia's name, but she established herself here. She could spout any liberal talking point she wanted, and we'd politely disagree. She might even get a little ragging. ...but she knows we're all friends to her here. You, however, took the different approach. You came in with your political ass on your shoulder. You didn't get to know anyone here, even though most knew you.

So, you can take your high and mighty attitude and shove it straight up your ass.

But have fun on CC.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
I'm surprised no one has offered her a "No one gives a ****". What she's doing is Freudian. "Ok, I've changed my mind", "You guys should be elated and on your knees thanking me since the great Bridget/Lanie has decided to grace you with my presence".

No Lanie, to be honest? I don't give a ****. You offered nothing to establish yourself here. That's the problem. You're a liberal. This is a conservative site. I know I keep dropping Mia's name, but she established herself here. She could spout any liberal talking point she wanted, and we'd politely disagree. She might even get a little ragging. ...but she knows we're all friends to her here. You, however, took the different approach. You came in with your political ass on your shoulder. You didn't get to know anyone here, even though most knew you.

So, you can take your high and mighty attitude and shove it straight up your ass.

But have fun on CC.

Well, we are pretty sure Mia is hawt.  Lanie hasn't proferred anything to suggest she is also.  So, we are waiting for proof.

And I have pretty much taken out her "Catholic but Murder Supporter" thing.

But, all things being equal, hawt wins out.

Just sayin'

Offline Lanie

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »

I do not have that attitude on here. There's a lot of people I don't know. There's people here I know who I haven't been mean to at all because they don't have a certain attitude toward me. I have had a jerky attitude with those who IMO were already being mean, but that's about it.

As for getting to know certain people, I already do know certain people. I've known them for years. That's how I developed certain opinions of them in the first place (I'm talking probably four or five people here, not the entire board). In fact, I thought things were better between me and certain people than they were until I was spoken to a certain way (insults when I didn't insult them before). I go by what's said to me here.

You talk about Miss Mia. That sounds legitimate, but I'd be interested in knowing how she got to that point first. I want to contribute stuff, but as I'm going along, I'd like to know I'm being given a chance. I'll test it out later.

To briefly answer the other person's question. I asked my RCIA director about my liberal beliefs and she said to stick with RCIA. Then I confessed to a priest who wasn't concerned about it (although he did tell me I had the wrong idea about gay rights). I confessed my liberal beliefs to a second priest, who said it wasn't a sin. I then confessed to a third priest who then asked if I had done it. I said I had not. He said that we're allowed to disagree regarding political ideas (sort of going toward the idea that the guilty party is those personally involved). Then I confessed to skipping church one week and he got all over me (so it's not like he was afraid to speak up). I realize there might come a point when a priest or somebody above his head tries to get me to stop being pro-choice. I figure I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. I think if I show my respect to authority in church that I probably won't be pushed to change this very often.

Meanwhile, being involved in special ed gives me a different pov on this subject lately because I've often looked at some of the kids I worked with and thought "Some would abort them before birth". That then makes me question whether abortion being legal doesn't add fuel to the "Some lives are important and some aren't" fire. The problem was there before Roe, but I don't think Roe is helping, so I am having second thoughts lately.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:32:49 AM by Lanie »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 05:06:37 AM »

No, it is.  As I said, Catholicism IS an "all or nothing" doctrine.  Skirting the issues doesn't change the underlying fundamentals.  You are arguing de jure and I am arguing de facto.

And please, O Please, provide a link where the Vatican has acknowledged gay priests, much less allowed them to perform mass.

Gay pedophile priests being moved from church to church, ring any bells at all?   Nah, the Vatican had no knowledge of that.  Riiight.

Oh and I guess that there is probably a few dozen or so "real" Catholics in the world then.