Interests > The Science Club

Dew Points?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jinxmchue:
The dew point is important for airplane pilots to know.  The dew point can also give you a general idea of what the day is going to feel like - humid in the summer or dry in the winter.

thundley4:

--- Quote from: jinxmchue on November 16, 2009, 07:12:19 PM ---The dew point is important for airplane pilots to know.  The dew point can also give you a general idea of what the day is going to feel like - humid in the summer or dry in the winter.

--- End quote ---

Humidity is relative.

Thor:

--- Quote from: jinxmchue on November 16, 2009, 07:12:19 PM ---The dew point is important for airplane pilots to know.  The dew point can also give you a general idea of what the day is going to feel like - humid in the summer or dry in the winter.

--- End quote ---

RH and barometric pressure always figured into my dispatch figures when I worked for the airlines. I don't recall the dew point making any difference. I had been told in the past that the dew point was the coldest it could get like for overnight temps.

jinxmchue:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 16, 2009, 07:49:58 PM ---RH and barometric pressure always figured into my dispatch figures when I worked for the airlines.

--- End quote ---

Sounded like it was more for non-commercial pilots, particularly those who fly smaller, non-sophisticated planes.

djones520:

--- Quote from: Thor on November 16, 2009, 07:49:58 PM ---RH and barometric pressure always figured into my dispatch figures when I worked for the airlines. I don't recall the dew point making any difference. I had been told in the past that the dew point was the coldest it could get like for overnight temps.

--- End quote ---

And RH is determined by the Dew Point.  When those observations are taken, we don't put RH into them.  We just put Dew Point into it, then the RH is calculated later on.  DP can have an impact on pressure, but many things can as well.

The actual temperature can never go below the dewpoint, that's right.  But the dew point is no set gaurantee that the temp will stop there as it's dropping.  It may hit saturation, then then both will start dropping even more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version