Interests > The Science Club

EMP

<< < (5/6) > >>

Rick:
I don't see CHAMPS as a TEOTWAWKI type threat. Not on the order of a CME or Nuc. Perhaps I'm wrong and should be. Still the preps made for larger events should work.

Rick:
Have you seen this.

https://astronomy.com/news/2022/01/are-we-ready-for-the-next-big-solar-storm?utm_source=acs&utm_medium=email&utm_email=andre.depre%40scarlet.be&utm_campaign=News0_ASY_220114_000000&eid=andre.depre%40scarlet.be&eid=andre.depre%40scarlet.be

“Flares occur when electromagnetic radiation erupts from the Sun. These bursts often last a few minutes, though they are sometimes longer. They are sometimes associated with coronal mass ejections, which blow out gas material and magnetic fields. But not every solar flare or coronal mass ejection will have an impact on Earth; it depends on both the size of the burst and the direction it’s heading. If a solar flare occurs on the far side of the Sun, for example, it’s unlikely to affect us.

Even if it does happen on the near side, the direction of the burst often misses us — as we’re quite far away and a relatively small target compared to the Sun. This occurred in 2001, for example, when one of the largest solar flares in recorded history exploded into a coronal mass ejection at a speed of about 4.5 million miles per hour. Luckily, it swept by us on its way into space.”

From Survivalblog.com

Drafe Hoblin:
Earth is grazed by flare-debris a couple times in a human-lifetime. 

I think the history of the telegraph includes a hit in the 1880's, which the news that a flare knocked it out was 'reported' via the telegraph a few days later.  The 'system' was relatively unscathed.   

Rick:
It was a small area in Canada, and I understand there was a fire.

ExGeeEye:
Microwave ovens are Faraday cages.

I have a couple in the shed for backup hard drives etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version