Interests > The Science Club

What Is Nothing?

<< < (2/3) > >>

thundley4:

--- Quote from: mrclose on June 25, 2015, 04:25:52 PM ---If nothing exists, its state of existence makes it something rather than nothing.

True nothing must have a state of nonexistence to exist, which, um, means it doesn't exist, doesn't it?

Or... I could just have a cup of tea, which does exist and seldom creates any philosophical issues, at least until the cup is empty, which then contains a full cup of non-tea, a total absence of tea, a nothing state of tea-ness... Sorry.

Off in tangent-land, there. :lmao:

--- End quote ---

But when you drink half of the tea, is the cup half full of tea, half empty or half full of nothingness?

DumbAss Tanker:

--- Quote from: thundley4 on June 25, 2015, 03:29:50 PM ---So maybe there is a "magical sky being" that created everything and it is impossible to fully understand his creation.  :-)

--- End quote ---

Entirely possible, of course it could just be that all our sooper-jeenyuses aren't nearly as smart as they think they are and are simply doing a highly jargonistic and academicized bunch of 'Just making shit up.'

Big Dog:
Let me take a swing at this curve ball.

"Nothing" is not a noun. It is a pronoun, an adjective, or an adverb, depending on how it's used.  There is neither a thing called "nothing", nor is there a condition called "nothing".

"Space" is a noun. "Vacuum" is a noun. Between celestial bodies, and between subatomic particles, "space" and/or "vacuum" exist. Space and vacuum may contain no particles, but contain energy- gravity, magnetic, and ionic attraction; light; radiation; and probably things we have not yet discovered. So what you think of as "nothing", "space", and "vacuum" may be loaded with measurable non-material stuff.

Or, unicorn farts hold the universe together; and if the unicorns ever stop farting, we're screwed. The jury's still out on that one.

mrclose:

--- Quote from: thundley4 on June 25, 2015, 04:35:21 PM ---But when you drink half of the tea, is the cup half full of tea, half empty or half full of nothingness?

--- End quote ---
As someone much brighter than myself told me .. "There is always a residue or we wouldn't have a need to wash dishes". :rotf:

obumazombie:
We know as much about nothing as we know about love.
After all, what is nothing ?

And, what is love...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I[/youtube]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version