Author Topic: uh oh, not long on Skins's island  (Read 703 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
uh oh, not long on Skins's island
« on: May 23, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024989778

Oh my.

This just posted, and it won't last for long on Skins's island; one can already sense the primitives circling around, like vicious sharks.

JayhawkSD (1,024 posts)    Fri May 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

Living Wage and Minimum Wage

A subheadline at Salon.com said that instead of fancy advertising MacDonalds should pay a "living wage." Finish reading this before you jump down my throat, but I submit that the point is nonsense.

MacDonalds, and other fast food outlets, should not be paying a "living wage" for the simple reason that working in these places is not a real job. This is something that high school kids should be doing to make spending money, not something that anyone should be doing to make a living. It is nonproductive, useless and demeaning work with no real future. It is a stepping stone; "make work" to fill time until one can qualify for a real job.

If this nation has deteriorated to the point that flipping burgers and selling Happy Meals across a counter is considered a "living wage" career then there is no point in discussing our economy because we simply no longer have a meaningful econpmy.

"Minimum wage" should be about high school kids and college students. It should be utterly meaningless in terms of careers and people who are working at full time jobs. The idea that we are willing to have people supporting families on minimum wage, whatever that wage is, is obscene.

We should not be working to make fast food joints pay "living wage," we should be busting our collective ass to get people the hell out of those trivial jobs and into the real jobs that used to make this nation a real economic power instead of the sham financial giant that it is today.

0 replies, 7 views

^^^deep-sixing is coming, as soon as enough primitives are offended.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: uh oh, not long on Skins's island
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024989778

Oh my.

This just posted, and it won't last for long on Skins's island; one can already sense the primitives circling around, like vicious sharks.

^^^deep-sixing is coming, as soon as enough primitives are offended.

'Twas a good run, wasn't it? :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Well, apparently I'm wrong.

<<<been wrong before, no big deal.

<<<gets by.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
Quote from:
JayhawkSD

MacDonalds (sic), and other fast food outlets, should not be paying a "living wage" for the simple reason that working in these places is not a real job. This is something that high school kids should be doing to make spending money, not something that anyone should be doing to make a living. It is nonproductive, useless and demeaning work with no real future. It is a stepping stone; "make work" to fill time until one can qualify for a real job.

I agree it's a starter job, but not a "real job?" "Nonproductive, useless and demeaning work?" That's poorly thought out and written. It's certainly a real job for those needing the work experience of dealing with the public. And no job is "nonproductive, useless and demeaning work" if you're using that time to learn about how the real world works.

Good thoughts on certain jobs not being career type jobs, therefore starter pay. Immature in regarding certain jobs as being basically worthless.

Sometimes they get so close to getting it, then they fall flat on their faces.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »
Quote from:
Armstead

6. No that's right wing nonsense

I spent year working full time at an Abry's back in the day.

While it's true that I eventually went back to college, at the time I was a self-supporting adult living 500 miles away from Mommy and Daddy. I worked my tail off six days a week from 8 a.m to 5 p.m.

And many of the people I worked wit were older and that was their long-term livelihood. They were working people -- period. Their jobs were just as demanding as assembly-line work, even if the assembly line was cranking out sandwiches instead of car parts. They an I deserved a living wage.

And, as has been noted, many of the formerly "good" working and middle class jobs have been outsourced o automated If more people are going to be manufacturing food as a result, they deserve to be treated as working people.

There you go, frank. On the island of nutters it's just a matter of time.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
And, as has been noted, many of the formerly "good" working and middle class jobs have been outsourced o automated If more people are going to be manufacturing food as a result, they deserve to be treated as working people.

Yet the left keeps doing the same damn things that drove most industrial, good paying jobs overseas. Higher taxes, more regulations and unions caused automation to become the norm.  Make the fast food places pay $15/hr and watch how fast they become automated.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »
While it's true that I eventually went back to college, at the time I was a self-supporting adult living 500 miles away from Mommy and Daddy. I worked my tail off six days a week from 8 a.m to 5 p.m.

Thanks to the democrat insurance law, kids can no longer get started that way without juggling at least two jobs.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Armstead

6. No that's right wing nonsense

I spent year working full time at an Abry's back in the day.

And many of the people I worked wit were older and that was their long-term livelihood. They were working people -- period. Their jobs were just as demanding as assembly-line work, even if the assembly line was cranking out sandwiches instead of car parts. They an I deserved a living wage.

You want a "living wage" dummie? Then do some "living wage" work. Hint: Flipping burgers ain't it. Is it hard work? No doubt. I worked in the industry myself for a number of years. Unlike you dummies, I didn't stay at the bottom. I started when I was 16 and worked my way up and was making a good salary until I left for a different line of work back in the early 90's.

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi