Author Topic: BCS : Vindicated (again)  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
BCS : Vindicated (again)
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »
it happens every year.  the BCS bowl pairings are announced, and everyone loses their minds and starts
demanding a playoff system.  the controversy lasts the month or so from the announcement until the
games are finally all over, whereupon it turns out that the BCS was pretty much bang on target.

it turns out that no one had a legitimate gripe about where they were seeded in the BCS.  a playoff system
seems perfectly logical, but there is a basic flaw in it;  it simply doesn't solve the problem.  it moves it, but
it doesn't solve it.  if you create an 8 team playoff system, all you will do is piss off the fans of the #9, #10,
and #11 teams.  and  they will have a an even MORE legitimate gripe, because if they get in, they have a
legitimate shot to win the title. 

the basic demon at work here is jealousy and disappointment.  some teams get in, and some teams don't.  people
get emotional about their schools, and emotion is immune to logic.  and might I add that the notion that a system
of rules could be created that is so perfect that it would make everyone in the world happy is a pretty liberal idea
in the first place?

the most frequent argument that I hear in favor of a div-I playoff system is equally ridiculous.  "They have
a playoff system in div-II, and there is no controversy".  that's because no one gives a shit about division II.
the division II title could be stolen at gunpoint, and it wouldn't cause a ripple in the sports world.

thank you for listening. :-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:06:16 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: BCS : Vindicated (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »
New AP Poll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3820715

Ole Miss #14   :-)

....which is amazing considering under Ed Orgeron, the previous 3 years, we were:

2007: 3-9

2006: 4-8

2005: 3-8
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »
WE, I agree with you to a point, and I don't believe there will be a playoff anytime soon, but some years it's not until the bowl games are all played until you go "Oh, that's the 2 teams that should have been in the Championship Game."  This year, I think OU and Florida were as good as any, but probably the best 2 teams are Florida and So. Cal.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:22 AM »
WE, I agree with you to a point, and I don't believe there will be a playoff anytime soon, but some years it's not until the bowl games are all played until you go "Oh, that's the 2 teams that should have been in the Championship Game."  This year, I think OU and Florida were as good as any, but probably the best 2 teams are Florida and So. Cal.

I'm not discussing which team(s) was/were the best this year (I know better  :-));  I am arguing that the means by which we determine which team is the best is as good or better than the utopian dreams of the playoffists. :-)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
I have to go with Wretched Excess on this.....sort of.

College football is a sport, and while it's okay to take it semi-seriously, one shouldn't take it too seriously.  There's greater questions than the national championship.

It's fun to argue who the national champion is.

Any "system" of determining a national championship is likely to have its flaws; there is no such thing as a perfect system, although doing things strictly by computer (rather than human) polls might be close, taking the "bias" factor out.

As those from the spinal column of America, and those from the south, know, there's always been considerable bias among human pollsters; it's hip, it's cool, it's trendy, it's with-it, to favor eastern blue-state teams or California teams or "new" teams, over the stale old boring Big 12 (i.e., the old Big 8) Conference and the "redneck" Southeastern Conference teams.

Computer rankings are the only way to go, and they wouldn't be pefect either, given the data that's included, and the data that's excluded.  But it'd be better than human pollsters.

I recall all too well when that ESPN idiot, Herb Kirkstreit or whatever, campaigned to have Nebraska toppled from number two in the polls in late 2001, after our disastrous and humiliating loss to Colorado.....ignoring that even with this loss, Nebraska was still quite obviously the second-best team in the country, after Miami.

Herb Kirkstreit is a marketing expert, not a college football expert.

One wishes Herb Kirkstreit to fall to the bottom of sewage-treatment sludge.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »
I am glad that OU lost to Florida.  :evillaugh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »

See if I speak to you again.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »

umm, confused.  their mascot is a sooner, not a bunny.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »
I have to go with Wretched Excess on this.....sort of.

College football is a sport, and while it's okay to take it semi-seriously, one shouldn't take it too seriously.  There's greater questions than the national championship.

It's fun to argue who the national champion is.

Any "system" of determining a national championship is likely to have its flaws; there is no such thing as a perfect system, although doing things strictly by computer (rather than human) polls might be close, taking the "bias" factor out.

As those from the spinal column of America, and those from the south, know, there's always been considerable bias among human pollsters; it's hip, it's cool, it's trendy, it's with-it, to favor eastern blue-state teams or California teams or "new" teams, over the stale old boring Big 12 (i.e., the old Big 8) Conference and the "redneck" Southeastern Conference teams.

Computer rankings are the only way to go, and they wouldn't be pefect either, given the data that's included, and the data that's excluded.  But it'd be better than human pollsters.

I recall all too well when that ESPN idiot, Herb Kirkstreit or whatever, campaigned to have Nebraska toppled from number two in the polls in late 2001, after our disastrous and humiliating loss to Colorado.....ignoring that even with this loss, Nebraska was still quite obviously the second-best team in the country, after Miami.

Herb Kirkstreit is a marketing expert, not a college football expert.

One wishes Herb Kirkstreit to fall to the bottom of sewage-treatment sludge.

well, keep in mind that Kirk Herbstreit (:rotf:) played for ohio state.  I am sure that somehow has something to do with his anti-husker attitude :wink:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »
the playoffists remind me of the people that want to abolish the electoral college, an elegant and effective means of ensuring workable government, in favor of a straight popular vote, which would be a mess.  in 20 years, we would be struggling to put together coalitions of brawling factions just to produce a majority government that fell apart every other year.

and if barack obama wants a college football playoff, then there must be something wrong with it.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
....which is amazing considering under Ed Orgeron, the previous 3 years, we were:

2007: 3-9

2006: 4-8

2005: 3-8

is anyone in rebelnation saying that orgeron must have been a better recruiter than they initially thought?  I keep up with all of the mississippi schools, but I haven't read where anyone was admitting that perhaps he had skillz.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
the playoffists remind me of the people that want to abolish the electoral college, an elegant and effective means of ensuring workable government, in favor of a straight popular vote, which would be a mess.  in 20 years, we would be struggling to put together coalitions of brawling factions just to produce a majority government that fell apart every other year.

and if barack obama wants a college football playoff, then there must be something wrong with it.

H5! lol

I too, some may recall, am as cool with the BCS as any other cat. Imperfect as it is I've never heard of a playoff proposal yet that didn't create more problems than we already have. Sorry playoff folks but if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Sidenote: Congrats to this seasons national champions, the Utah Utes!  :evillaugh: (j/k)

Post script to sidebar: Whatt the **** is a Ute?
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
H5! lol

I too, some may recall, am as cool with the BCS as any other cat. Imperfect as it is I've never heard of a playoff proposal yet that didn't create more problems than we already have. Sorry playoff folks but if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Sidenote: Congrats to this seasons national champions, the Utah Utes!  :evillaugh: (j/k)

Post script to sidebar: Whatt the **** is a Ute?

it is a young adult.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1V-4boT_ts[/youtube]

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »
it is a young adult.

LOL (that movie actually crossed my mind when I asked that)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »
LOL (that movie actually crossed my mind when I asked that)

I thought it was probably a set shot.  I couldn't resist it. :uhsure: :-)

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
it is a young adult.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1V-4boT_ts[/youtube]

:lmao:

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »
is anyone in rebelnation saying that orgeron must have been a better recruiter than they initially thought?  I keep up with all of the mississippi schools, but I haven't read where anyone was admitting that perhaps he had skillz.

I am. He was a great recruiter. Hell, he was the number one recruiter while at USC and, I think, Miami. He just didn't know what the f to do with'em when he got'em.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 05:44:56 AM »
Attempt to do away with the BCS

51. H.R.390 : To prohibit, as an unfair and deceptive act or practice, the promotion, marketing, and advertising of any post-season NCAA Division I football game as a national championship game unless such game is the culmination of a fair and equitable playoff system.
Sponsor: Rep Barton, Joe [TX-6] (introduced 1/9/2009)      Cosponsors (2)
Committees: House Energy and Commerce
Latest Major Action: 1/9/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

http://thomas.loc.gov
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.