Author Topic: Yet they claim they love America.  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Yet they claim they love America.
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2828746

Philosoraptor  (1000+ posts)       Thu Feb-07-08 06:52 AM
Original message
How do you explain America's amazing tolerance for bullshit?
   And no, I'm not talking about the Grammy Awards, I'm talking about our astounding ability to tolerate tyranny, treason, torture, genocide, Gitmo, a cocaine damaged, alcoholic, blithering idiot president, a monstrous war pig vice president, unrestrained presidential powers, two wars, the deaths of 4,000 soldiers for profit, the deaths of a million people in Iraq, the permanent crippling of 20,000 soldiers, spying, lying, stealing, murdering, the failure to find the perpetrator of nine eleven, what great ****ing sports we've become.

At what point pray tell does Uncle Sam turn to the camera and say, "Hey, wait a minute-----ENOUGH of this bullshit"?

sendero (1000+ posts)         Thu Feb-07-08 06:57 AM
Response to Original message
2. People have turned their backs on politics...
   .. for a variety of reasons.

And also, Americans have a long tradition of not giving a shit about anything that doesn't affect them directly.

Things are starting to affect them, so look out Republicans.

LiberalEsto  (1000+ posts)         Thu Feb-07-08 06:59 AM
3. Americans are pacified with toys
   and junk food.

Wiis, giant tvs, Playstations, supersized fast food, cheeze fries and all that crap, plus right-wing christianazi propaganda, put them into a state of stupor

Echo In Light (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 07:02 AM
5. Never underestimate the power of denial

DrDan  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 07:03 AM
6. I think it is in our genes
   I have always been astounded at the reich-wing mantra about repealing the "death tax". And how the GOP convinced the lower economic strata to become so rabid about its repeal.

irkthesmirk  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 07:07 AM
8. As Stephanie Miller likes to say, "Look at the shiny keys! Look at the shiny keys!"
   Many Americans PREFER to allow themselves to be distracted by entertainment and "infotainment" rather than deal with (or even look at)the serious issues with which we are faced. I think this may stem from the fact that many people don't think that they can make a difference or, in the case of many others, don't have time to investigate the issues.
marions ghost  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 08:50 AM
Response to Reply #9
34. that's right
   most people struggle in their jobs and many are exploited by the economic conditions in this country.

Take health care--when you cannot afford to be sick, when you cannot imagine having really good preventative health care, when you have to live in fear of catastrophic illness-- it's a damn shame in a civilized society. Stupid business-wise also, since it further takes a toll in stress and debility. Smart countries want healthy happy employees.

Then in our backward society, you are supposed to make time to FIGHT against all the injustices out there and WORK for better health care and other rights, which the Powers That Be may SOMEDAY grant you.

WRONG. Decent health care for all is a right, not a privilege.

It is amazing how they can pigeon hole their little pet peeves into everything.

Demeter  (1000+ posts)         Thu Feb-07-08 08:07 AM
18. America Is A Society of Addicts   
   Dysfunctional doesn't begin to cover it. Addicts canot reason, cannot learn, cannot tell fact from fiction. They live in a place so removed from reality, it makes denial look like awareness.

How did we get to this state? The deterioration of reality, as those who would be fascists kept tightening the noose on our economy. People sought escape in any way they could find and afford. And as the final coup de grace, the Masters destroyed the schools and the media.

Now there's no path to truth left, no place of refuge, and little hope--except that when the economy crashes into the Greater Depression, the Masters are wiped out.

A perfect self description of DUmmies and doesn`t even realize it.
philly_bob  (557 posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 10:16 AM
62. Stolen elections and complicit corporate media
   The Neocon Straussians at the top *believe* in lying to the public.

Then throw in an educational system that trains students for test-taking, not critical thinking.

Yes,stupid thing about facts being taught. :mental:

leftofthedial (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 10:39 AM
69. Blind, profound ignorance,
   Edited on Thu Feb-07-08 10:41 AM by leftofthedial
and a wicked little vein of bigotry, greed and intolerance that is easy to exploit.

We have soul-suckingly purposeless and unsatisfying lifestyles fueled largely by relentless media training to be good little consumers first and foremost. This eventually creates a gnawing sense that something is profoundly wrong, a feeling that conflicts with the typical American's conviction that he or she has done everything right--bought the house in the 'burbs, worked the job, bought the stuff they tell you on TV will make you happy. We should all be happy! But we're not. But we can't be to blame. Therefore, it must be someone else's fault. Hmm. What's on the radio? This fat guy (like me!) who is also pissed off (like me!). And he says it's all the commies' fault, or the "liberals," or the foreigners, or the "terrorists." He's right! I hate them! I hate them!

Meanwhile, food and chinese trinkets are still cheap enough to fuel the smug self-satisfied conviction that we are in the right. That's all changing though.

:bird: :bird: :bird:

Offline jukin

Re: Yet they claim they love America.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
Worst country ever, except for all the others.

I got a cool crisp $100 bill for you to get your ass to NK, VZ, or any other country.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
marions ghost  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-07-08 08:50 AM
Response to Reply #9
34. that's right
   most people struggle in their jobs and many are exploited by the economic conditions in this country.

Take health care--when you cannot afford to be sick, when you cannot imagine having really good preventative health care, when you have to live in fear of catastrophic illness-- it's a damn shame in a civilized society. Stupid business-wise also, since it further takes a toll in stress and debility. Smart countries want healthy happy employees.

Then in our backward society, you are supposed to make time to FIGHT against all the injustices out there and WORK for better health care and other rights, which the Powers That Be may SOMEDAY grant you.

WRONG. Decent health care for all is a right, not a privilege.

You are one seriously misinformed sum bitch........and a dumbass.... :mental: :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
Sheesh, do these people fall asleep reciting their stereotypes?

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:06:39 PM »
While I can agree on voter apathy and the fact that you have more idiots voting for the next American MIdol than in the next leader of the free world.... the DUmmy is still more than welcome to get the **** out of my country as quickly as possible.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
My next research project is getting hard data on this hype of preventative health care. I know that all the socialized medical systems have 40-60% of the cure rate of cancers that the USA has. I know that the life span of the socialized medical systems is 1-3% longer than our but that ours include violent deaths such as car accidents. Taking out those deaths provides the USA with 4-6% longer life spans. So what is left for the liberals to praise? Preventative medicine. My gut is telling me that this too will be proven to be false but unlike a DUmbass I will research and come up with an informed opinion.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »
Yet they all have the money and freedom to post on DU in this Terrible, Horrible Country!!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle