Author Topic: VIRUSES!!  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
VIRUSES!!
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
Is there anyone who can look at my computer from the outside in on here? I know a lot of you have capability beyond my understanding with computers. I was just wondering if any of you could look at my computer from where you are to see if there is anything nefarious creeping around my system. It actually started a few minutes ago when I clicked a National Geographic link on another forum. Had no idea it would install Trojans, and stuff. I did a bit of maintenance by logging out, logging in real fast, hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL real fast, and deleting any programs I did not recognize. I also did a bit of firewall modification, because I kind of know the basics. Ran a scan with AVG too. No infection was found, however, I logged out once, logged back in, and had to repeat the process. There was a little shield thing (blue and gold) in my tray at the bottom right of the screen. I had to repeat the above process.If it does it again, I may be able to give the IP. I'll write it down.

Oh, and my internet explorer isn't working properly. I'm rockin' Mozilla Firefox right now.

Help would be appreciated.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: VIRUSES!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
If you're running XP or something newer, there is an option for remote support to allow another user access to your system.  I would do a basic system scan... boot to Safe Mode (F8 before Windows begins loading) and run MalwareBytes.

Can you take a screenshot of your taskbar?  I'm curious what that shield is.  It sounds like it could be Macafee.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:40:32 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
If you're running XP or something newer, there is an option for remote support to allow another user access to your system.  I would do a basic system scan... boot to Safe Mode (F8 before Windows begins loading) and run MalwareBytes.

Can you take a screenshot of your taskbar?  I'm curious what that shield is.  It sounds like it could be Macafee.

I am running XP. And I don't know how to take a screenshot. I've heard of it, and even attempted it, but never successfully done it. I know I have to use PrNT SCRN, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. It didn't say whether it was McAfee or something else, but I used to use McAfee, and it worked pretty well as a virus cleaner, and protection. I could be wrong, but I don't think it was that organization.

Kept giving me the icon that told me I was infected, and the two options "Stay Protected" or "Remain Unprotected." Well, I've actually had something similar happen before in terms of this type of virus. Accidently clicked the "yes" option, and opened hell's gates. So I now know never to go with the option THEY want you to go to.

Thanks for the advice, Chris. Don't know what "MalewareBytes" is though. Just the extent of computer knowledge showing agaihn, I guess.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
There are tons of virus removal information posted in the threads in here.

http://www.malwarebytes.org

It's a program that one downloads, installs, updates and runs. It'll get rid of MOST nasty things. Sometimes it needs to be used in safe mode.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »
Thanks Thore. It's downloaded, and I have performed a "Quick Scan." If it doesn't find the malicious crap, I'll do a Full Scan.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
WOAH. It definitely god rid of what was ailing the computer. There were like...50 Trojans in the damn thing. I'm keeping MalwareBytes for future problems. I can't thank you enough Thor/Chris. I'm sending bunches of good wishes your way. You guys have helped me out massively.

Internet Explorer still isn't working properly, but I suspect I just don't have the right boxes checked in the Firewall settings. That, I can have my brother do later. He has friends over at the moment.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
Check your proxy server settings. To do that open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, then Internet Options, then hit the Connections tab, press LAN settings, and uncheck mark anything on this page. Then hit Okay twice. Close IE and then open a new page and it should be working.

WOAH. It definitely god rid of what was ailing the computer. There were like...50 Trojans in the damn thing. I'm keeping MalwareBytes for future problems. I can't thank you enough Thor/Chris. I'm sending bunches of good wishes your way. You guys have helped me out massively.

Internet Explorer still isn't working properly, but I suspect I just don't have the right boxes checked in the Firewall settings. That, I can have my brother do later. He has friends over at the moment.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:13:51 PM »
Alright. I've unchecked "Use Proxy Server for your LAN" and "Bypass Proxy Server for Local Addresses."

Aaaaaaaand...I love you.

Not really, but you've been a big help. Whtever those viruses did, they were smarter than I. Now I at least have a thread to refer back to if this stuff happens again. Again Firish, I thank you.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »
Ya know.... I have little sympathy for Packers Backers........ consider yourself lucky today!! ;)  [/Cowboys Fan]

:-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
Packers are just my main team. I have green and gold blood running through these veins. I like other teams, and the Cowboys happen to be on that list, actually. We owe you this year for beating us the last 2 or three years straight though.  :fuelfire:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
A little more information about rkill.com.  It's good to know this stuff;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Because it can be identified as a virus itself you might want to read through that.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
Texacon: I split off and merged your post to the Virus & Malware removal thread pinned at the top of this board. I forgot about ccleaner. It's good, but has false positives and can get rid of stuff a person may want to keep or may even need. I would only recommend CCleaner for advanced users.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
Texacon: I split off and merged your post to the Virus & Malware removal thread pinned at the top of this board. I forgot about ccleaner. It's good, but has false positives and can get rid of stuff a person may want to keep or may even need. I would only recommend CCleaner for advanced users.

Sorry about that.  You're right and I didn't even think about that.  Have you used Super Antispyware?  That thing and rkill saved me a bunch of trouble last week.  Secretary got a wicked virus that was shutting down everything and I can't get her to do regular backups.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
A little more information about rkill.com.  It's good to know this stuff;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Because it can be identified as a virus itself you might want to read through that.

KC

That error message: "Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" Is the exact same message I kept getting last night. Always click no is my motto. I didn't want to screw it up any further. I feel good about myself for knowing this. I'm good now though. I think the virus protection I mentioned downoading took care of it, but I'll run another quick scan just to make sure everything is tip top.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
That error message: "Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?" Is the exact same message I kept getting last night. Always click no is my motto. I didn't want to screw it up any further. I feel good about myself for knowing this. I'm good now though. I think the virus protection I mentioned downoading took care of it, but I'll run another quick scan just to make sure everything is tip top.

quick scans are NOT your friend. Full scans ARE!! I'd also urge you to run those scans in safe mode. That way, IF anything is hiding, it can be found and removed.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »

I made the gross error in judgement of purchasing and installing McAfee A/V on a computer at work several years ago, because I got tired of fooling with Symantec.......I received this same message every time the computer booted up after the subscription had expired........the problem was the "uninstall" routine in Windows did not remove all vestages of the program.....I finally got it all off with CCcleaner......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
A free firewall, Zone Alarm, I had was keeping me from accessing the Micro$oft site and downloading some stuff. It had to be specially removed with the download of some software and some registry editing. To  put it bluntly, it was painful. Many of these uninstall programs don't fully uninstall things. I'm pretty sure that's in order to keep a person from getting another trial version  and cycling through those. To really be able to get rid of things, a person needs to be proficient with "regedit".