Author Topic: RAM limit on an old laptop  (Read 2308 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
RAM limit on an old laptop
« on: July 23, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »
I've got an Old IBM Thinkpad A22m that I got from the same place I get all my computers, the enviro-depot but I'm a bit confused.

This computer is a 800Mhz P3 with a 60gb hard drive DVD reader/cd burner, wifi, etc.

The thing is that the computer is listed to have a max RAM of 512mb, the amount I have in it. When I put another 256MB stick in the BIOS registers the total amount as 768mb but the OS fails to boot. Right now it's got XP on it and it'll get to the XP loading screen and then restart.

I'm just wondering why this would be. If it registers all the RAM should it not be able to use it?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: RAM limit on an old laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
Is that memory module known to be good and compatible with that system - Try booting the machine with only the new module installed. I know some manufacturers systems were kinda pedantic about memory types and configurations.

Is the BIOS the most recent version ?

Failing all that it is possible that the system can't address more than 512mb correctly or at all - BIOS only reports what it can see.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: RAM limit on an old laptop
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
Usually when the specs of the comp say 512 max, that's all the board it'self will recognize. However, what is the OS? Win 98? What kind of RAM?

NM, Google is your friend:

Technology SDRAM - 100.0 MHz Form Factor SO DIMM 144-pin

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/ibm-thinkpad-a22m-2628/1707-3121_7-5600305.html
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.