Author Topic: Holy COW!!  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Holy COW!!
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
http://3btech.net/hide3tb72rpm.html

THREE TERABYTES ?!?!??!?!?  Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......... I remember my first pc was loaded with a cassette tape and NO hard drive. In the mid 90s a 640 MB hard drive was considered "large"........
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: Holy COW!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
http://3btech.net/hide3tb72rpm.html

THREE TERABYTES ?!?!??!?!?  Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......... I remember my first pc was loaded with a cassette tape and NO hard drive. In the mid 90s a 640 MB hard drive was considered "large"........

My first computer, in 1997 or so, 1.6 GB.  Second best available. 

I now snicker derisively at my wife's legacy 640MB SD cards.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »
We installed Demand Video at the last Cable Company I worked for. It was two side by side electronics racks filled with approximately 30 hard drives. The total drive space was 4.3 Terabytes. I thought that was quite the thing. Now, we're almost to the point where one drive is equivalent to that huge electronics rack full of drives.

Hell, I have RAM that's larger than a 640 MB SD card...... and has been for a while....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »
Nice. And with 7200 rpm.

Ive started seein all these stupid WD 'green' drives (80-750GB) that wont even tell you what speed the rotation is on the .packaging. I think theyre 5200rpm just like old style ones. Screw that green crap/

I'm presently using a 1.5TB and a 2TB (7200rpm) drive now. But Im watching as the price drops on those ssd's

Wow, would I luv to have a big one or two of those babies behind some real power.

:)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Janice

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:51 AM »
More an more we're seein the 2TB drives drop to about $100.

Not bad.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
More an more we're seein the 2TB drives drop to about $100.

Not bad.

I picked up a new 2TB hard drive a month and a half ago. It only formatted out to 1.8 TB, though. If you ask me, that's a LOT of loss. Of course, they're using 1 MB= 1000 MB vs the formatted 1024 MB. Even still, that's a LOT of storage.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
The very early Deskstar drives (I'm taking early/mid 90's had a reputation for very poor quality.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Hitachi drive in years.

Sony is advertising 2TB drives on their website for $89.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline sisyphus

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »
Nice. And with 7200 rpm.

Ive started seein all these stupid WD 'green' drives (80-750GB) that wont even tell you what speed the rotation is on the .packaging. I think theyre 5200rpm just like old style ones. Screw that green crap/

I'm presently using a 1.5TB and a 2TB (7200rpm) drive now. But Im watching as the price drops on those ssd's

Wow, would I luv to have a big one or two of those babies behind some real power.

:)
Those 'green drives access thru a range of speeds, up to5400 rpm..
They are prone to failure too :banghead:
I have been a computer geek for 20 years...
Bob
Sum Ergo Cogito
I am, therefore I think

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »
I'm just amazed. The first "computer" I ever played with was a binary up counter that I built myself, the 2nd was a word processor, circa 1974. It was some huge mass of electronic machinery owned by the Govt. It had an 8 or 10" floppy diskette for storage. Then I progressed to military aviation computers in 75-76. The first "personal computer" I ever played with was a Heathkit 1 MHz processor with 65K RAM and cassette tape drives using BASIC around late 78, early 79. I started using desktops around 1984. My own first personal computer was a 486-33sx by Packard Bell. I think it had 4 meg of RAM , 9600 baud phone modem, and a 540MB hard drive. Its OS was Windows 3.11 (for workgroups) That was 1994. It's been onward and upward from there. I upgraded my first computer several times, built a few computers from there.

Either way, I'm just amazed at the growth of hard drives and the cheap costs.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:06 PM »
It's amazing that new thumb drives and memory cards have more memory than hard drives did a little over 10 years ago.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:49:59 PM »
It's amazing that new thumb drives and memory cards have more memory than hard drives did a little over 10 years ago.

yeah, that, too.......

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
Lord knows how advanced technology will be in say, just 10 years.

A RadioShack TRS-80 released in 1977.  :-)
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 12:07:25 AM »
I remember being jealous of my neighbor's Commodore 64 because it had better games than the Tandy 1000. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
Lord knows how advanced technology will be in say, just 10 years.

A RadioShack TRS-80 released in 1977.  :-)

Ahhh yes, the Trash 80.

Anyone remeber when all the rage was the 8086 chip?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »

Ahhh yes, the Trash 80.

Anyone remeber when all the rage was the 8086 chip?

Was?   :-)

No wait, really I did finally upgrade.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 but I bought shares in Tandy that same year ( and kept it through a  2-1 split).  I have also owned shares in Apple ( twice ) but am not a current owner. :hammer:  I don't even remember how many years ago I got out of Apple but I held and dollar cost averaged during many lean years. 

First bootlegged program was "Quick Brown Fox" dubbed on a high speed cassette recorder.  It was a lot faster to dub than load.  Ah them were the days. The Commodore finally did a screen melt but I still have the TV/Color monitor I used with it.  I think it is cira 1982 but would have to check the paperwork.   :whistling:

First main frame experience was a on  PDP-8 with toggle switches to boot the paper tape BIOS which woke up a tape drive. Think of it like the crank on a Model T.   It ran a Cordax machine. (think granddaddy to the CMM precision measuring machines of today). 

First modem: 1200 baud 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
Was?   :-)

No wait, really I did finally upgrade.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 but I bought shares in Tandy that same year ( and kept it through a  2-1 split).  I have also owned shares in Apple ( twice ) but am not a current owner. :hammer:  I don't even remember how many years ago I got out of Apple but I held and dollar cost averaged during many lean years. 

First bootlegged program was "Quick Brown Fox" dubbed on a high speed cassette recorder.  It was a lot faster to dub than load.  Ah them were the days. The Commodore finally did a screen melt but I still have the TV/Color monitor I used with it.  I think it is cira 1982 but would have to check the paperwork.   :whistling:

First main frame experience was a on  PDP-8 with toggle switches to boot the paper tape BIOS which woke up a tape drive. Think of it like the crank on a Model T.   It ran a Cordax machine. (think granddaddy to the CMM precision measuring machines of today). 

First modem: 1200 baud 

Ok, you win. You ARE ****ing older than dirt.

:rotf:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Ok, you win. You ARE ****ing older than dirt.

:rotf:

Yeah the misses tells me that all the time.  I still have my high school slide rule but not my first programmable calculator, a TI 55 that made physics, beam, and machine design problems a snap.  :rotf: :rotf:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
Hell, I remember mom & dad buying a TI calc that just did five functions. (+, -. / . x and Sq rt)  I think they paid some $200 for it way back when.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
Hell, I remember mom & dad buying a TI calc that just did five functions. (+, -. / . x and Sq rt)  I think they paid some $200 for it way back when.

Did you graduate with Moses?  :lmao:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »
Did you graduate with Moses?  :lmao:

When God said let there be light, I threw the switch.......  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
Switch, nothing... he did the wiring.  :old:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:13:11 PM by chris_ »

Offline Janice

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59:17 PM »
Switch, nothing... he did the wiring.  :old:

Shhh, you WEREN'T suppose to tell!!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Heh I remember the "nerds" in High School wearing those things. (they had belt loops on the soft case) Musta been around 1976.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
Heh I remember the "nerds" in High School wearing those things. (they had belt loops on the soft case) Musta been around 1976.

No, the TI51s were out by then. Those were the item to have. Of course, I was stuck with a slide rule throughout high school.