Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 3939 times)

Offline ironhorsedriver

Browsers
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
What browser does everyone use? I just switched to firefox because I got tired of IE locking up and going slow. Are there any pros-cons to them.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Browsers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
Firefox.  I switched because IE kept timing out and crashing.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »
Firefox because I think it is safer that IE.....
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »
Opera or Firefox at home,IE and Opera at work.

Offline kenth

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
Firefox and sometimes Opera. Opera is interesting, especially the turbo function. I didn't like Chrome at all, and I haven't liked IE since Firefox came out.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
I'm finding I'm happier with firefox. Still freezes up on me sometimes, probably an add on. I've heard Chrome is also tracking software, so I'm not really interested in that.
Opera, I thought was for Apple. Does it work well with PC's? And is there really any reason it would be better than Firefox?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
I'm finding I'm happier with firefox. Still freezes up on me sometimes, probably an add on. I've heard Chrome is also tracking software, so I'm not really interested in that.
Opera, I thought was for Apple. Does it work well with PC's? And is there really any reason it would be better than Firefox?

Firefox is becoming a memory hog instead of the trim browser it originally was. You may not have enough processing power/ memory. I've noticed that since 3.0 Firefox has really started bogging down my machine.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
At home I use IE, at work I use opera, Firefox, or Safari depending one which OS or preferences of the machine.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline kenth

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
The one thing that has given me more problems than anything with browsers is Flash. I've lost count of the number of times that a browser tab will shoot up to 90+ percent cpu due to Flash content. Unfortunately, so many websites require Flash for content, instead of it being gravy. I'm running XP 64, and have used a 64 bit build of Firefox that is amazingly fast compared to the regular version. The problem is addons like Flash, 64 bit version doesn't exist yet.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »
I use Firefox - on my XP home netbook and on the Vista 64 desktop. Never have any problems.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »
I use Firefox - on my XP home netbook and on the Vista 64 desktop. Never have any problems.

I have less problems with Firefox than I ever did with IE, however, I've noticed that the memory usage with Firefox has been continually increasing. I like it and use it, don't get me wrong. I was just passing on an observation. Currently, FF is using just near 400 Mb of memory. It used to be down around 200 or less. Of course, I have 3 browser windows open and a few add ons running.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
Firefox, since version 1.1 or 1.5. IE7 sort of caught up with FF, but they made pointless user interface changes and it had nothing that was a compelling reason to switch back.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »
I've been using Google Chrome exclusively on my old computer for about 3 months.  I wanted to see how hard it was to get malware/spyware/viruses on it.  I have no antivirus or other protection on it.   So far no problems have cropped up.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
Firefox, since version 1.1 or 1.5. IE7 sort of caught up with FF, but they made pointless user interface changes and it had nothing that was a compelling reason to switch back.

IE7?

Aren't we up to 8 or 9 by now?

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »
I use Firefox on the PC that has XP (btw thanks for the tip Thor, I've dropped a couple of add ons and it is noticeably faster). With Vista (which I hate and will have to upgrade soon) I use Opera because I can't get Firefox to work.

Offline DUtroll

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Firefox.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17:25 AM »
I use IE but I do have Firefox and Chrome downloaded.