Author Topic: Me and Mrs. FD are leaving California forever (going to Texas)  (Read 13175 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I am not joking and this is no "if xyzz wins, I will leave" threat.  I can see what is going to happen and it is ugly. 

She and I have discussed this at length and made our decision last night.  We have already made plans to donate all our goods to local charities (OK, we will sell some of the furniture) and have looked into properties in Grapevine and Irving.

We have had it -- L.A. is one of the highest tax areas in the country -- worse than Boston.  And now, because I have the AUDACITY to make a 6 figure income, I must be PUNISHED!  And, we "hire" the legislators to do one thing -- and one thing only -- manage the budget and do so like all of us "little people" do -- keep costs below income (plus perhaps some prudent borrowing -- think a mortgage and maybe a car for an average American).  Instead, they pass bill after bill that makes THEM (the legislators) feel good, while sticking the bill to us EVIL SALARY EARNERS.  Yes, I can see them sleeping after passing the latest "help someone" bill, thinking "I did something GOOD today" ON MY ****ING DIME.

This should come as no surprise to Californians, but California has assuaged the conscience of its lawmakers by having BILLIONS of dollars of programs that exactly parallel Federal programs (think colostomy bags for the poor) but do not require proof of citizenship.  Much/most of our debt is a direct result of financially supporting illegal immigration.   The rest are a result of directly subsidizing sloth.  If I wanted to, I am willing to wager that I (see below for qualifications) could get California Food Stamps.

Speaking of illegal immigration, did you know that there have been many debates in the California Congress conducted in Spanish?  And that the Sergeant At Arms has not halted proceedings nor have objections been entered into the record?.

I wish I could comfort myself with knowing that sales tax (the new idea) hits the illegals harder worse than I, but that doesn't change the fact that when I am in other states, I buy "high cost -- small footprint" when I am out of state -- how many people do the same?

OK, let's look at the cost to California for my Wealth Flight:

Income: mid-6 figures
Direct Income Taxes 2007: 6K

The median income tax payment in California is 2K -- so to replace my income tax will take 3 families.

BUT WAIT!  I have no children and have 2 vehicles which have less than 1,000 miles per year each (not 10K, but 1K), so not only will California require 3 median income families to replace my income, but it will need apx. 2 times those to pay for the usage of the infrastructure I do not use!  Good luck getting that!

Yes, there are really wealthy people in Marin County and the like who have inherited wealth and thus don't understand what really generates it. 

But I think there will be more wealth flight from Kalifornia by individuals -- and companies.  Kalifornia is already one of the most business hostile states in the country.  I am sure the new tax-saturated plans the sleep-well liberals cobble together will run many others like me out of the state.

Texans in the DFW area: I have lived 3 years in the DFW (2 years in Ft. Worth, 1 year in Plano)  area. I am familiar with the idea that "if there ain't no road, we make one for ourselves."  Any and all advice for residents will be appreciated.  The current plan is spring of 2009 (we can't really move before then).

We are starting this weekend by giving stuff away -- if I am lucky, we won't have much by moving day.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:41:50 AM by freedumb2003 »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Me and Mrs. FD are leaving California forever (going to Texas)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »
Congrats on your decision.  I visited the Dallas area a few years ago when looking for an investment/second home.  Beautiful houses.  I wasn't thrilled about all the highway driving.  I never imagined Texas to be a state full of highways and overpasses.  I always imagined a "little house on the prairie" type landscape.  I went to North Georgia instead and decided to invest there.

I'm a former New Yorker and can see why you want to move out those liberal controlled areas.  Florida seemed like the right thing to do back then.   I never regretted my move,,,,sounds like you won't either.  Good Luck!!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:20:22 AM »
Rock on baby! I spent 1990-2002 in the D/FW Metroplex. I think I lived in just about every town. We built a home in Frisco right around the time the mall was built and sold it to move here (drat!) just as the population exploded. I really liked it there.

We have a few North Texas CC'ers who can tell you what current conditions are like. I know your money is going to go a LOT farther.......
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »
I know what yer sayin FD and I hope your move goes well. My wife and I have a second home in Riverside county but we're seriously thinkin' of selling it and buying something in Arizona. I still have eight more years here in PA so we have time to plan and see what happens. But yeah, California isn't getting better any time soon with the taxes, budget and illegal alien situation.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:09:06 AM by Uhhuh35 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:23 AM »
I know what yer sayin FD and I hope your move goes well. My wife and I have a second home in Riverside county but we're seriously thinkin' of selling it and buying something in Arizona. I still have eight more years here in PA so we have time to plan and see what happens. But yeah, California isn't getting better any time soon with the taxes, budget and illegal alien situation.
The new budget is going to be bad on people who work for a living, believe me.  AZ is a pretty good place as well.  I am going to Dallas because it is < 3 hours flying time from pretty much everywhere.  I will get a whole day of my life per week back!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:10:57 AM »
I see a DFW CC meetup in my future.  :evillaugh:

Good luck with the move! Hope all goes well.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »
The new budget is going to be bad on people who work for a living, believe me.  AZ is a pretty good place as well.  I am going to Dallas because it is < 3 hours flying time from pretty much everywhere.  I will get a whole day of my life per week back!

It only takes an hour to fly to El Lay from DFW.   I left DFW at 10 AM and got into El Lay Ex at 11 AM.  Can't beat it!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
Wise choice, FD, there is no way the PRK is going to get better in the foreseeable future, and myriad ways it could actually speed up its protracted slide into the abyss.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »
And when you move there you get to apply for a Carry Permit!

Congrats Bud!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »
And when you move there you get to apply for a Carry Permit!

Congrats Bud!

That's so you can put down any mind-numbed zombies that followed you through the passes.

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »
Texas is the best.   You're making the right decision FD.

And as you know, we don't coddle scumbags here; we send them to the Express Line of Death Row!

:whatever:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
I won't say that Texas is the "best" any more. It has been invaded by liberals and the liberal mentality. Property taxes here may be lower than Commiefornia, but some counties are pretty high. Denison and Sherman have property taxes above 3%. My MN property taxes, which I thought were high, were just below 2% in the bedroom communities of the metro area up there. While there is no state income tax, the tax rate for almost all goods purchased is above 8%. Sherman's is 8.125%. MN didn't tax food or clothing. The city of Denison is building a NEW high school for no apparent/ valid reason. The same one that my mom and I went to is still in good shape and the graduating classes are half of when I attended. So, some 6-10 Million dollars will be spent "for the children", when less than a third of that could be spent to upgrade the existing high school. Common sense is disappearing. The tax and spend mentality has invaded Texas.  :hammer:

As far as the Texas Concealed Handgun License, Texas laws really suck when compared to MN's Permit to Carry laws. I will admit that there aren't too many places in my area that are "posted" (prohibiting armed people with valid licenses). Up in MN, there are plenty of businesses/ places that would disarm a person. However, Texas doesn't require a person to have a license to have a loaded gun in their vehicle, as long as it's "out of sight".

I AM glad to be back to my homeland, though.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zeus

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
Wise choice, FD, there is no way the PRK is going to get better in the foreseeable future, and myriad ways it could actually speed up its protracted slide into the abyss.

When we Moved from El Paso to Copperas Cove I told my mom we were moving about 560 miles futher away but would be an hr closer to them. Dad being a spoil sport splained to her.   :lmao:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
If you're looking in Irving, are you looking into the "Las Colinas/Valley Ranch" area?  There's some houses in there, very beautiful, but have lots of problems.  I forget the name of the neighborhood.

Also, if you're looking into Grapevine, I'd suggest giving Flower Mound a look.  Oh, and Southlake too. 

I live in Arlington.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
Woo hoo....I'll have you both over for dinner once you get here.   :-)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
If you're looking in Irving, are you looking into the "Las Colinas/Valley Ranch" area?  There's some houses in there, very beautiful, but have lots of problems.  I forget the name of the neighborhood.

Also, if you're looking into Grapevine, I'd suggest giving Flower Mound a look.  Oh, and Southlake too. 

I live in Arlington.  :)

Yes, those houses are ripe for disaster.  They are built on a sea of shifting sand.  I could tell you some stories about the houses in that area that would curl your hair....like the one that required 50+-foot piers and they still weren't sure they hit anything solid....or the one that looked like it had an empty football stadium under it, but it was filled up by shifting earth the next week....and back to empty the week after that....or the topped-out house that "floated" about four feet overnight and had to be demolished, re-piered, and rebuilt. 

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
My personal recommendation is my own hometown of Euless. One-third of the city is actually inside D/FW Airport, but the runways run north/south, so there will be no planes flying over your house. The nicest houses are off of Mid-Cities Blvd. and S.H. 121. Mid-Cities Blvd. runs straight into the airport. Home to a D/FW parking lot would be about 10 minutes. Also, property taxes are lower in Tarrant County as compared to Dallas County. It is literally dead-center of the Metroplex. PM me if you need help with housing. My dad's a real estate agent and would be happy to drive you around.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »

Does that mean you're going to EAT them ?!?!?!?!? :bolt:

Here's a "cookbook" for you!!

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »

"Don't go!  To Serve Man is a cookbook!"

Offline Zeus

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
If you are looking in The D/FW area check out Highland Park.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »

I think he wants to be close to the airport, Highland Park would be quite a drive to DFW. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Zeus

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »

I think he wants to be close to the airport, Highland Park would be quite a drive to DFW. 

20 Miles ain't nothing.  Pert near a straight shot also.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »

Depends on how they taste.   :evillaugh:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
My personal recommendation is my own hometown of Euless. One-third of the city is actually inside D/FW Airport, but the runways run north/south, so there will be no planes flying over your house. The nicest houses are off of Mid-Cities Blvd. and S.H. 121. Mid-Cities Blvd. runs straight into the airport. Home to a D/FW parking lot would be about 10 minutes. Also, property taxes are lower in Tarrant County as compared to Dallas County. It is literally dead-center of the Metroplex. PM me if you need help with housing. My dad's a real estate agent and would be happy to drive you around.
I used to live in Useless. :-) Actually the H-E-B area is a great choice! PM me freedumb, I used to work for one of the municipalities around those parts.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
Stay away from all them yankees!!!  Come on down to South East Texas ...... I'll put you on a lake in a golf course community 1:15 from Intercontinental.  Fishing is awesome and crime is non-existant.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen