Author Topic: Freeky weather here.  (Read 1557 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Freeky weather here.
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
The temperture went to 59 degrees just a few hours ago and now we are suppose to go down to 28 or so tonight.

High for tomorrow will be 32 if we are lucky.      Drastic change and the wind is at 40 MPH with gusts on the sea coast, what next we all wonder.  Most of the snow has melted off our roofs, this is one strange winter, and next month is usually the time of the worse storms----

At least we had one day to pretend that spring is on the way, the seed catalogues are arriving and our Walmart has put out the seed sprouting kits all ready.   All is not lost when I see these things on display.     Hope and change is only good when one has a winter like this has been so far.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Freeky weather here.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
Same weather here for the most part, Vesta.  We touched 70 today and yesterday.  Today was nicer though, because the 40 mph wind gusts were absent. 

This is on the heels of record cold temperatures two weeks ago.  Come on, spring!   :popcorn:

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
Currently pouring down rain here.  Currently 44, and supposed to go down to 36 tonight with a chance of thunderstorms.  The hills have snow.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:26 PM »
Wow CR.  That is unseasonal for you, is it?  Last week we were below freezing, today it is 77 in my house.  I am happy for the warm, but this is too soon too fast, IMHO.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
Our weather here is really "freeky" too.  It's kind of nice, at 58 degrees, but with a breeze.  It's a little cloudy out, nothing unusual about that.  But tonight, I noticed this really strange beam of light shooting into the sky.  It looks like the clouds are glowing.  We can't figure out what it is.  We think it's the mother ship coming to save all the pure souls. 

I went for a drive the other day and I found myself on a street that I've never been down before.  And I stopped by your moms house to take a shit in her fish tank.  It was a nice drive, my car is fairly comfortable.

Then we finally realized the beam in the sky was from the Luxor.  I feel really stupid.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
Wow CR.  That is unseasonal for you, is it?  Last week we were below freezing, today it is 77 in my house.  I am happy for the warm, but this is too soon too fast, IMHO.

The rain is pretty typical for this time of year, but yeah, it is cooler than usual. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:21 AM »
Our weather here is really "freeky" too.  It's kind of nice, at 58 degrees, but with a breeze.  It's a little cloudy out, nothing unusual about that.  But tonight, I noticed this really strange beam of light shooting into the sky.  It looks like the clouds are glowing.  We can't figure out what it is.  We think it's the mother ship coming to save all the pure souls. 

I went for a drive the other day and I found myself on a street that I've never been down before.  And I stopped by your moms house to take a shit in her fish tank.  It was a nice drive, my car is fairly comfortable.

Then we finally realized the beam in the sky was from the Luxor.  I feel really stupid.

ERRRRRR, EC,

If I understand you correctly, you drove to Maine to poop in the river?? That is the only fish tank MY mom has.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »
We're finally done with winter here in Dallas, me thinks.  Supposed to be in the 70's for the forseeable future.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:03:24 AM »
The temperture went to 59 degrees just a few hours ago and now we are suppose to go down to 28 or so tonight.

High for tomorrow will be 32 if we are lucky.      Drastic change and the wind is at 40 MPH with gusts on the sea coast, what next we all wonder.  Most of the snow has melted off our roofs, this is one strange winter, and next month is usually the time of the worse storms----

At least we had one day to pretend that spring is on the way, the seed catalogues are arriving and our Walmart has put out the seed sprouting kits all ready.   All is not lost when I see these things on display.     Hope and change is only good when one has a winter like this has been so far.

Vesta did you get the thunder storms we got in MA?   They were very unexpected (and rare for February).

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »
Here in Kansas, we've been bouncing between near-record cold (OK did have a couple record breaking days) and near-record warmth.  We had a huge blizzard with several freezing days, then a week near 70, then another huge blizzard with the near-record cold snap last week, and now a week at 70 again.  This kind of weather is tough on outdoor animals that go from freezing to cooking...but not all that "freeky" for this part of the country.  The saying has always been, "If you don't like the weather in Kansas (Nebraska, Wyoming...) wait an hour, it'll be different."

I do find it quite amusing when "freeky" weather is used to support the theory of global climate change because the last time this all happened was in 1932 or something.  Seriously, if it was like this in 1932, how much has changed?  Or the idea that the same droughts that were recorded in the Bible thousands of years ago are now caused by CO2 and fossil fuels.   ::) ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline namvet

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
we broke the record here wed. 75. you could feel the humidity

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »
We're to be at 70 today....thunderstorms coming in sometime tomorrow until Tuesday. Narrows it down, huh?

This is about 10-15 degrees above where we should be, on rare "high" temp days this time of year. The weather is supposed to be in the 60's all through next week. With the rain, that will bring up all the spring bulb flowers. We're sure to get snow, soon as they all bloom out.  :(

The warmth is making me feeling motivated....told my "boys" they are going to help me clean the garage today.  :-)

Ask me how well that went over.... :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline namvet

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »
We're to be at 70 today....thunderstorms coming in sometime tomorrow until Tuesday. Narrows it down, huh?

This is about 10-15 degrees above where we should be, on rare "high" temp days this time of year. The weather is supposed to be in the 60's all through next week. With the rain, that will bring up all the spring bulb flowers. We're sure to get snow, soon as they all bloom out.  :(

The warmth is making me feeling motivated....told my "boys" they are going to help me clean the garage today.  :-)

Ask me how well that went over.... :thatsright:

ill guess their MIA's

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
It's called a "front", vesta.  Not freaky, happens all the time.

But yes, it is a rather substantial change, 30 degrees in one day, and winds sounding like a freight train going through the yard.  Last I checked we had 48 mph gusts at the house.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
The weather could not GET any better down here in the CSRA. BEAUTIFUL!
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
It's called a "front", vesta.  Not freaky, happens all the time.

But yes, it is a rather substantial change, 30 degrees in one day, and winds sounding like a freight train going through the yard.  Last I checked we had 48 mph gusts at the house.

I remember a summer day in Garland when "Blue Norther" rolled in. I was out mowing the lawn in the 100° heat. I saw the cloud bank approaching from the North and it looked mean & ugly (kind of like me in the morning). As it approached, the straight line winds reached about 45-50 MPH. After it passed through, the temp was like 65°.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
Just looked it up--fastest recorded temperature drop: 49 degrees in 15 MINUTES in Rapid City, SD back around 1910.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:48 AM »
Don't get your hopes up folks. I get the country's weather before it hits the heartland and it's supposed to be down to 10° tonight and tomorrow night!

Me thinks y'all haven't seen the last of the cold yet.

Oh, and north wind with gusts to 35!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:35 AM »

It was all melting here in the land you hate with all your heart body and soul. The pot-holes were opening up like God's punishment on us for our evil ways. Then I went out last night and it was absoluely arctic weather. Inuit paradise. Just cross the border and see for yourself... eh?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
It was all melting here in the land you hate with all your heart body and soul. The pot-holes were opening up like God's punishment on us for our evil ways. Then I went out last night and it was absoluely arctic weather. Inuit paradise. Just cross the border and see for yourself... eh?

Habsfan, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are Canadian... oui? 

You have a BS coming if you are........   

Offline namvet

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
Don't get your hopes up folks. I get the country's weather before it hits the heartland and it's supposed to be down to 10° tonight and tomorrow night!

Me thinks y'all haven't seen the last of the cold yet.

Oh, and north wind with gusts to 35!

but of course. Idaho is immune.   

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
We had snow (1800 ft ele at the house) on thurs, fri, and part of sat. All gone by sun. However, just up the hill, 1 mile or so, there's still 3-4 inches. We are supposed to get snow again later in the week down to the Sacramento Valley floor.

We just ran out of firewood.             :bawl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline namvet

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
freezing here but sunshine. I finally got to wash my dirty truck !!!!!

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
freezing here but sunshine. I finally got to wash my dirty truck !!!!!

Heh! I don't even bother until the end of march. We get so much sand on the highways, even if ya washed it, it would be dusty dirty by the time ya got a mile!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!