Author Topic: Plastic window insulator kits  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Plastic window insulator kits
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:09:56 AM »
has anyone used these "window insulator kits"? do they work? how hard are they to install(by yourself)?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Plastic window insulator kits
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
Buying new windows is a lot easier & cheaper in the long run.

But, when that is not an option, I found those window insulator kits to be a pain in the ass.  You figure it out after about the fifth window you put it in.  I don't even know for sure if they helped keep things warmer or save money on heat.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:26:24 AM »
Buying new windows is a lot easier & cheaper in the long run.

But, when that is not an option, I found those window insulator kits to be a pain in the ass.  You figure it out after about the fifth window you put it in.  I don't even know for sure if they helped keep things warmer or save money on heat.
Buyin new windows for a rental is not an option...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »

Heavy curtains may be a more effective method.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »

I know, Ree.  I've been there, I feel your pain.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
has anyone used these "window insulator kits"? do they work? how hard are they to install(by yourself)?

Easy to install & they work well.

I rented a farm house in Illinois for a while, the living room windows leaked alot of cold air. It was chilly to sit on the sofa. The kits helped alot, and I could open the drapes during the day to let the sun in.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:20:28 AM »
I have a 110-year-old house. We're replacing windows a couple at a time. I use the plastic. It works well for us, and it does cut down on the drafts.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »
I'd try recaulking the windows. Or ask the landlord if he has storms for the windows!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
I used them many years ago.  They are good for one season.  Most install with double-stick tape around the window frame.  The clear plastic is taped to the frame, and then you shrink it with a hairdryer.  Make sure it adheres to the window frame or it will pull loose when you heat it up.  Only downside is the tape is hard to remove later.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »
Use a small throw away plastic trowel from Lowes or HD to remove the majority of the tape and then Goo Gone will remove the adhesive.

I've done the plastic over a leaky window along with a heavy curtain and killed a nasty rental draft.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »
My problem is not with the tilt out window, it is with the frames.

First I caulk around the frame, then place the plastic with 4 inches to spare over the window and frame, same as on my sliding glass doors.  Shrink the sucker down with hair dryer and hope for the best.

Look for cob webs, DIY has shown that they form because of drafts, don't just sweep them away, caulk all around the area.

I keep the window open in the bedroom all winter at night with door closed as we sleep, one can make a draft stopper for the door as seen for sale on TV at $20.00 a pop  for about $6.00 per door and they last years.

Keep baby humidifiers, hot steam going and the temp can be turned down about 5-10 degrees.  I put a tablespoon of white vinegar in each new fill up.

When it snows, I take the snow blower and bank the snow all around the foundation and as far up the outside as I can, the snow will insulate against bitter winds blowing in.

Hot water heater is on an outside wall, it gets wrapped and the 2 unused rooms in my home are sealed off.

News papers are on the floor by the back door for the dogs as I only let them out twice a day.  Our livingroom is large enough for my Hubby to construct  a closed in area perhaps 4x4 with a door so when we come home and open the door all the heat does nor rush out of the house.  This is also great in the summer when you want the house to stay cool.

We take winter very seriously up here, when I rented I had to find ways to stay warm without changing the landlords rules.  First I got a cat, allowed, then another one to rid my apartment of mice, rats and chipmunks.  Then I bought those electronic plug-ins that run the roaches and ants out.   They work!!!!  We ran plastic from the ceiling across the windows to the floor, went so far one winter we took everything out of the bottom cabinets in the kitchen and stuffed in that pink insulation for inside walls.

Today we have a wood burning fireplace---wonderful but the piece of metal called the flue sucks out the heat from the house.  I got Hubby to build a device that blocks off the flu when not in use.  Just shove that bad boy in when the fire is stone cold dead and even if the flue is open there is a protective barrier to keep air from going up the chimney.

Only thing we cannot figure a way around is my KIA, the body shrinks in the cold and the doors once open will not close or lock.  I once had a 64 sting ray corvette that was the same and had to put seat belt through door handle then lock it in to me, Can't do that with the KIA, the door handle is solid.

Winter can be fun but there are precautions to take.  I NEVER lock anything in my trunk I may need in an emergency, all goes on the floor in the back seat.  No one in a blizzard should be leaving their auto for any reason.  They will get wet, cold and even lost trying to get back in their car. [ not to mention being run over by a snow plow. ]

As us old timers have had beaten into our heads, stay with the Veachel, crashed plane or shipwreck if possible.  Better to be found starving and in pain then by some stranger a year later dead as a door nail.   So often the people that stay with their Vachel are found alive while those who went for help are dead.------

We had no real summer up here this year and as for the last few weeks the temperatures have been in mid 30iers, I dread what is in store for us in the North.

Butten up your over coat when the air is cold, take good care of your self, you belong to me.