Author Topic: primitive discovers jury blacklist; squabble ensues  (Read 1852 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive discovers jury blacklist; squabble ensues
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/124033810

Oh my.

dsc (36,573 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

I have to admit that I just found out there was a juror blacklist and that star members can add 15 names to that list. I understand the concept and why such lists exist but I think no one thought of a very real possible misuse of such a list. If one were anti some DU minority, say gays but it could be any, by permitting 15 of these blacklist members you can allow them to all but insure that none of that minority would be on their jury. If you went to our forum and found a large enough thread you could eliminate 15 gays who post a lot and probably cut in half or more your chance of having a gay on your jury. I would think religious minorities here could be outright eliminated from jury service by a poster who so desired. Is there any check on this system at all? I think this could be very seriously misused by a determined enough poster. Frankly I think 5 names, the number you give non star members is more than sufficient and runs far less risk of entirely removing a minority from jury service of a poster or set of posters.

CaliforniaPeggy (93,122 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. I beg to differ.

I have nearly filled up my blacklist.

There are a number of folks here who I do NOT want sitting in judgment on me. The reasons don't matter; they are private.

You know there are thousands of posters here...

I really don't think that even the most determined person could really misuse the system.

obamanut2012 (639 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

17. Thousands signed in at once?

I would be very surprised to find that the trust, because very few websites have that kind of traffic.

Bluenorthwest (18,037 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

19. All who are dismissing the OP claim to know unknowns. Thousands? Hardly.

"Given how many people are on DU and available as potential jurors" is a phrase repeated again and again in this thread, yet how many people are here is not a given fact, it is an unknown factor.

If how many is a given then how many are there? None of us know that figure. It is not given to us. It is an unknown.

obamanut2012 (639 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

21. I agree

I also agree with DSC that it's probably possible to "game" the jury system to an extent, especially at certain times of the day.

Careful with the above; there's an "0bamanaut" primitive and here's the "0bamanut2012" primitive.  They look alike, but they're two different primitives.

22. I think dsc is correct. Can not know for sure without the figures others claim we all know.

The only actual countering argument offered to the OP is that the amount of DUers in the jury pool is so large it could not matter. Yet they do not know the amount of DUers in the jury pool at all. It is like talking in circles. 

seabeyond (67,274 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

25. this morning for example. the board is moving very slowly. there are not that many on line

i alerted on one and it took quite a while to get anything back. one could guess that it took a while to get 6 people on jury. you also have the many people that may be on line, that have declared they opt out of jury.

rrneck (8,606 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

40. This site receives

around fifty thousand unique visitors a day and Skinner says There around a hundred alerts a day.

I'd get you links but I'm on a phone, sorry.

44. So your claim is 50,000 people here a day, yet some are on jury duty 2 times a day?

For 100 juries? That indicates another set of issues. Either way, the actual figures are needed IF we are going to assume the pool is large enough.

It is just odd that people keep saying 'It is given that the pool is huge' and yet no one really knows how large it is. If there are 50K a day, why are some doing it twice a day? 600 jurors a day, out of 50,000 it should take weeks to get a second call, no?

46. Well

I'm not a statistician, in fact I hate math, but given those numbers* any given alert has at least a five hundred member pool from which to select. Peak traffic times will probably be significantly more. Not many people post or alert for half of each day. That probably pushes the pool to around a thousand for each alert.

The most contentious posters will have more posts hidden, thus reducing their chances to serve. People who feel certain enough about the opinions of others to blacklist them will probably be blacklisted in turn either intentionally or automatically by the ignore function.

It seems that this software generated voire dire is designed to increasingly reduce the interactions of contentious members as their level of hostility and potential for personal impact increases.

I think the net result is that you will never be judged by someone with whom you most strongly disagree, but rather by some lurker in the navel lint group.

*Traffic information is available for any website. If I weren't on a phone I'd find it for you.

47. the people that i know that are most out there in posts about all agree not to use ignore

we have had thread after thread about how many we have on ignore. most of the people declaring they would never use ignore, probably are the most ignored. so i disagree there.

and i had the opportunity to jury on someone i argue the most with. which was a hope. i was air though. leave it. there was nothing in his post

so i disagree there.

i have also had a couple that disagree with me, telling me they were on jury to mine and what jurer they were.

i think you are making lots of guesses.

SwampG8r (7,425 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

2. something is going on with juries

i am on all the time
different times
sometimes 2 hours at a time
no jury summons
i am 100% approved but no summons
seems strange

Warren Stupidity (25,106 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

27. You can't be a juror for a thread you have posted in.

So if you are on all the time and post a lot and post in a lot of "hot" threads, you are not going to be picked. 

uppityperson (60,558 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

30. I didn't know that. Thank you. That could explain why I've been getting called for gungeon juries.

WolverineDG (21,200 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

28. same here

only 1 jury summons in the past three days, even when apparently there was a flame war going on & some real problem posts that needed to be sorted out. However, the post I was summoned for was so stupid, I told the alerter to stop wasting my time. And wouldn't you know, everyone else said the same thing.

ZombieHorde (18,702 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

10. I only have one person on mine.

Most Duers are just as crazy as the rest.

And on it goes; it's a pretty big campfire.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Re: primitive discovers jury blacklist; squabble ensues
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #19)
Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:15 PM

40. This site receives

around fifty thousand unique visitors a day and Skinner says There around a hundred alerts a day.

I'd get you links but I'm on a phone, sorry.
Just a clue, DUmpmonkey.
Forty thousand are us, looking for new and FUnny stuff to laugh at. :tongue:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
You mean everyone isn't equal? so there's basically what amounts to a class system at DU? the haves and the havenots? so if you're the Elite you can afford a star and the benefits that come with it, if you're poor and can't afford a star you get limited benefits?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
You mean everyone isn't equal? so there's basically what amounts to a class system at DU? the haves and the havenots? so if you're the Elite you can afford a star and the benefits that come with it, if your poor and can't afford a star you get limited benefits?

Yep.  That's the case.

The Atmans, the kpetes, the CaliforniaPeggys, and the 0bamaites rule.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »
Yep.  That's the case.

The Atmans, the kpetes, the CaliforniaPeggys, and the 0bamaites rule.

Do they not even see the hypocrisy in this?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »

Are you kidding?

Surely you're kidding, madam.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
You mean everyone isn't equal? so there's basically what amounts to a class system at DU? the haves and the havenots? so if you're the Elite you can afford a star and the benefits that come with it, if you're poor and can't afford a star you get limited benefits?

Not at all, Comrade Ballygirl, all of them are equal, it's just htat the the star members are more equal.

O-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/124033810

Oh my.

Careful with the above; there's an "0bamanaut" primitive and here's the "0bamanut2012" primitive.  They look alike, but they're two different primitives.

And on it goes; it's a pretty big campfire.
Wow. So the DUmpmonkeys who inherited enough to afford Skimmer's new pricing can blacklist the DUmp's 99ers?

Monkeys of means, like CalPig and kaput, can protect themselves from the dirty, destitute DUmmies?

I'd like to hear more about this from DUmp ragamuffins like UGP, Imaboobi, and nutcase nadin.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Are you kidding?

Surely you're kidding, madam.

No, actually I'm not, call me naive, but when they yap about equality and caring about the po folk I still hope they mean it and live as they preach it, and yes, it still amazes me that they don't see their hypocrisy. What the heck is it going to take for them to look at themselves?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
"Our forum"

Did you catch that? 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »

CaliforniaPeggy (93,122 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. I beg to differ.

I have nearly filled up my blacklist.

There are a number of folks here who I do NOT want sitting in judgment on me. The reasons don't matter; they are private.

You know there are thousands of posters here...

I really don't think that even the most determined person could really misuse the system.

She doesn't want to be judged. Too late, piggy, anyone who sees DU already judges you.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting...

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

47. the people that i know that are most out there in posts about all agree not to use ignore

we have had thread after thread about how many we have on ignore. most of the people declaring they would never use ignore, probably are the most ignored. so i disagree there.

and i had the opportunity to jury on someone i argue the most with. which was a hope. i was air though. leave it. there was nothing in his post

so i disagree there.

i have also had a couple that disagree with me, telling me they were on jury to mine and what jurer they were.

i think you are making lots of guesses.

Ah, a response to the Poetess Laureate of DU by e. e. cummings. :whatever:

Trying to figure out the jury system is going to fry the remaining synapses in DUmmy Borg Land.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
Look at them.  All paranoid, suspicious of each other.

That place is boring as hell now.  Skinner was stupid to change the forum and offend half the penny paying gallery.

I'm very disappointed.

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
what do they have jurys for?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
I don't understand why the DUmmies are so concerned about this jury business.

So what if they vote to hide your post?

If it's worth reading, we'll have it copied over here so we can laugh at it.

You can lurk and read it as many times as you like.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
Sometimes those hidden posts show up in the journals.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
what do they have jurys for?

Juries ostensibly are more democratic than autocratic moderators, such as we are here.

The juries on Skins's island vote to let a comment alone, hide it, delete it, or coerce the offending primitive into altering it.

It's been fun to watch.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

The juries on Skins's island vote to let a comment alone, hide it, delete it, or coerce the offending primitive into altering it.

sounds like a messy way to run a forum

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »

Never let it be said that the DUmmies are for running anything the most efficient way. Remember, they actually want your healthcare run by the people who ran the post office into the ground while Fedex and UPS kept growing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »

It probably is actually an improvement over cbayer-the-thread-slayer stepping on anything that smacks of non-DLC thought patterns, but it's far from perfect.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
DU now has more rules than an occupy camp.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVvzTyMcls[/youtube]