Author Topic: Democrats are failures at running cities.  (Read 713 times)

Offline thundley4

Democrats are failures at running cities.
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »
ensho   (1000+ posts)           Tue Aug-18-09 12:07 PM
Original message
the neo cons did a good job of destroying New Orleans

http://counterpunch.com/quigley08182009.html

Katrina Pain Index - 2009

0. Number of renters in Louisiana who have received financial assistance from the $10 billion federal post-Katrina rebuilding program Road Home Community Development Block Grant – compared to 116,708 homeowners.

0. Number of hospitals in New Orleans providing in-patient mental health care as of September 2009 despite post-Katrina increases in suicides and mental health problems.

1. Rank of New Orleans among U.S. cities in murders per capita for 2008.

1. Rank of New Orleans among U.S. cities in percentage of vacant residences.

2. Number of Katrina cottages completed in Louisiana as of beginning of 2009 hurricane season under $74 million dollar federal program.

33. Percent of 134,000 FEMA trailers in which Katrina and Rita storm survivors were housed after the storms which are estimated by federal government to have had formaldehyde problems.

35. Percent of child care facilities re-opened in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.

35. Percent of child care facilities re-opened in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.

35. Percent increase of demand in 2009 at emergency food programs in New Orleans and surrounding parishes, “an increase pinned on the swelling ranks of under-employed and rising food, housing, and fuel costs.”

50. Ranking of Louisiana among states for overall healthcare.

52. Percent increase in rents in New Orleans since Katrina.

52. Percent of federal rebuilding money allocated to New Orleans that has actually been received.

60. Percent of children in New Orleans public schools who attend public charter schools.

88: Percent of the 600 New Orleans residents who will displaced by proposed new hospital complex who are minorities.

-snip - the list goes on and on
-----------------------

the neo cons are still smirking over their job well done.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6336517

The money has been there, but applications have too be filled out and rules followed.  Why hasn't 0bama fixed this yet?

Romulox (1000+ posts)             Tue Aug-18-09 01:06 PM
Response to Original message
4. Detroit is poorer than New Orleans. The Neo-liberals had a large hand in that. nt

Why do those people keep electing Republicans to ruin their city?  :whatever:

HamdenRice (1000+ posts)             Tue Aug-18-09 01:29 PM
Response to Original message
6. I thought Obama blew up the levies, then played around with a guitar while the city drowned!!!

After all, part of DU tells me Obama is now responsible for everything Bush did. And they're the same anyway.

Not much of a bonfire. It's still funny that DUmmies can't admit the failure of their own policies.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Democrats are failures at running cities.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
There's no question that big-city democrat mayors and councils are corrupt disasters, but that's just half the problem.
The other half is that the residents are all democrats.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
There's no question that big-city democrat mayors and councils are corrupt disasters, but that's just half the problem.

Notice that in many cities like New Orleans, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, DC, New York, and San Francisco.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
I have no more sympathy for the residents of New Orleans, they have milked this out long enough IMHO. :censored:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
Just because democrats have literally run thriving cities into the ground does not mean that democrats can't run the entire health care industry.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »

What is the # of Republican Mayors that New Orleans has ever had?

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:56:45 PM »
New Orleans as screwed up way before Katrina,  I was there from 93 to 96.  For example

The coach had put together the perfect team for the New Orleans Saints. The only thing that was missing was a good quarterback. He had scouted all the colleges and even the Canadian and European Leagues, but he couldn't find a ringer who could ensure a Super Bowl win.

Then one night while watching CNN he saw a war-zone scene in Afghanistan .   In one corner of the background, he spotted a young Afghan Muslim soldier with a truly incredible arm. He threw a hand-grenade straight into a 15th story window 100 yards away.  KABOOM!

He threw another hand-grenade 75 yards away, right into a chimney.  KA-BLOOEY!

Then he threw another at a passing car going 90 mph.  BULLS-EYE!

"I've got to get this guy!" Coach said to himself. "He has the perfect arm!"   So, he brings him to the States and teaches him the great game of football.  And the Saints go on to win the Super Bowl.

The young Afghan is hailed as the great hero of football, and when the coach asks him what he wants, all the young man wants is to call his mother.

"Mom," he says into the phone, "I just won the Super Bowl!"

"I don't want to talk to you, the old Muslim woman says."You are not my son!"

"I don't think you understand, Mother," the young man pleads. "I've won the greatest sporting event in the world.  I'm here among thousands of my adoring fans."

"No! Let me tell you!" his mother retorts. "At this very moment, there are gunshots all around us. The neighborhood is a pile of rubble. Your two brothers were beaten within an inch of their lives last week, and I have to keep your sister in the house so she doesn't get raped!"  The old lady pauses, and then tearfully says, "I will never forgive you for making us move to New Orleans .."
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
LOL
 :lmao:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
This is one of the main reasons I'm NOT a liberal. I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, which is ran by Democrats. We moved out to Byram when the crime and taxes became unbearable.

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
New Orleans as screwed up way before Katrina,  I was there from 93 to 96.  For example

Ok I'm going to steal that right there.  :lmao:
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson