Author Topic: GM vs. Chrysler: Product Lineup Fantasy Draft  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
GM vs. Chrysler: Product Lineup Fantasy Draft
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
GM vs. Chrysler: Product Lineup Fantasy Draft
Subcompact Car (B-Segment)

Were the companies to merge, there would be no argument over what would happen in the subcompact segment as Chrysler doesn't have one. Chevy continues to push the Aveo/Pontiac G3 as the only B-segment car sold stateside by a domestic automaker. Dodge does build the Chery-based Breeze for Latin American markets, but not for the US. There's also the Demon possibility, but that remains up in the air. Finally, the Chrysler-Nissan swap included a Nissan-built, possibly Micra-based, compact or subcompact for Chrysler — but that deal's not yet bearing any fruit.

Compact Car (C-Segment)

This is another segment where Chrysler isn't competitive, at least depending on how you classify a car. If you classify the Caliber as a compact crossover, as we do, then Chrysler has nothing and, as far as we can see, nothing on the horizon. What GM does have is the outdated, but not outsold, Chevy Cobalt, Pontiac G5 and the unpopular Saturn Astra. GM's future lineup will also include the Chevy Cruze, the successor to the Astra/Cobalt/G5.

This new vehicle should offer higher quality and mileage than current offerings. It will be a global car and, so far, production has already been mapped out for the new vehicle. The Cruze is a big part of the General's new strategy and a great opportunity for Chrysler to exit this category, stage left.

(MORE...)

A well-considered article, given the news on current and future platforms being produced by GM and Chrysler.  Another reason why Jalopnik continues to be one of my favorite, must-read sites on the internetz.  On a related note, the Crown Victoria 'Panther' chassis dates back to the late 70's Ford Granada.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:43:03 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Woody

Re: GM vs. Chrysler: Product Lineup Fantasy Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »
Also a fan of Jalopnik...

Brief rant:  I'm watching an old Top Gear today, and the host goes off on the Ford F150, ending up with "the number one reason it's not sold outside the US is that it's rubbish".  I wanted to disagree with him, but he's right.  We can't build a car worth owning, unless it's well over $50K.  On the other hand, foreign car manufacturers can build better cars, and sell them cheaper AFTER paying the import fees...  I mean, WTF?  I get that most Americans don't know enough math to do their budget, much less understand a drive ratio or select a spring rate.  I understand that the unions are destroying the automotive labor market.  And I know that the executives at the Big Three completely missed the boat on efficiency because they were so focused on the profitability of SUVs.  (Take a truck that costs $10,000 to build and sells for $15,000, add a cab and some upholstery for another grand, and sell it for $40,000.  Duh.)

But geebus cripes, can't we at least build a car where the interior panels line up?  Where it doesn't develop squeaks and rattles within the first 10,000 miles?  Where all the major mechanicals can be expected to run for well over 150,000 miles?

It's sad, really...
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951