Author Topic: AHA! We've got him now!  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Mary Ann

AHA! We've got him now!
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211271969

Those sly DUmmies! They've cleverly set a PERJURY trap for Kavanaugh! This is the end, I tell you!! The END!

ChoppinBroccoli (2,824 posts)

Do We Now Have A "Perjury Trap" Set For Kavanaugh?
I was thinking about this the other day when I read an article about how Democrats may try to impeach Kavanaugh if they take back Congress. They already have all the obvious instances of perjury that have been discussed on this board over the last couple of months, but I thought of another.

If Kavanaugh has testified under oath that Roe v. Wade is "settled law," (and I don't know if this is just a statement he made or if it was actual testimony under oath), then doesn't that mean that if a case to reverse Roe v. Wade comes before the Supreme Court and he votes to reverse, he has just committed perjury? And if that's true, shouldn't we be reminding him of this when the case to reverse Roe v. Wade inevitably comes before the Supreme Court?

If he has testified under oath that Roe v. Wade is settled law, then we can either successfully tie his hands and essentially coerce him into voting FOR upholding Roe v. Wade through threat of impeachment, or we can actually impeach him if he doesn't. Oh, I'm sure he'll find some way to weasel out of it (i.e. "I changed my mind based on the facts presented in this specific case," blah blah blah), but it might be a nice Ace in the hole to pressure him with. That's if he testified under oath.

It's hard to believe, but someone who refers to himself as "Choppin Broccoli" has figured out how to take down a Yale law grad who has been a federal judge for 12 years. The vast, untapped talent among the geniuses at Democratic Underground is mind-boggling.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: AHA! We've got him now!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
Are they aware that prior to slavery being abolished or during the days of prohibition that a USSC nominee could rightly say that slavery and prohibition were "settled law" and yet still be opposed to and willing to overturn both? It seems not.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
That one's too stupid, and for too many different reasons, to even try to explain.  I could write a 3-5 page legal analysis memo of just how FUBAR this is.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
Plessy vs. Ferguson was "settled law" for 5 or 6 decades. Stare decisis isn't absolute.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
ChoppinBroccoli (2,824 posts)

Do We Now Have A "Perjury Trap" Set For Kavanaugh?
I was thinking about this the other day when I read an article about how Democrats may try to impeach Kavanaugh if they take back Congress. They already have all the obvious instances of perjury that have been discussed on this board over the last couple of months, but I thought of another.

If Kavanaugh has testified under oath that Roe v. Wade is "settled law," (and I don't know if this is just a statement he made or if it was actual testimony under oath), then doesn't that mean that if a case to reverse Roe v. Wade comes before the Supreme Court and he votes to reverse, he has just committed perjury? And if that's true, shouldn't we be reminding him of this when the case to reverse Roe v. Wade inevitably comes before the Supreme Court?

If he has testified under oath that Roe v. Wade is settled law, then we can either successfully tie his hands and essentially coerce him into voting FOR upholding Roe v. Wade through threat of impeachment, or we can actually impeach him if he doesn't. Oh, I'm sure he'll find some way to weasel out of it (i.e. "I changed my mind based on the facts presented in this specific case," blah blah blah), but it might be a nice Ace in the hole to pressure him with. That's if he testified under oath.

Justice Kavanaugh evolved. End of story.
Worked for Obummer and Hellary.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
settled for now DUmmy.  Doesn't mean it can be looked at later if circumstances change.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »
I suppose it would depend on what his definition of "settled law" is.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Ha HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BIGSTARXXX

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
"I was thinking ..."  I stopped reading right there .. DUmmies never think

Offline Delmar

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
Why is everybody waiting around for Ruth Bader Ginsberg to kick the bucket when all we have to do to get rid of her is impeach her?
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »
Plessy vs. Ferguson was "settled law" for 5 or 6 decades. Stare decisis isn't absolute.

Ya, beat me to it.  I don't expect a fundamental sea change WRT Roe V Wade; but some fiddling with the edges. 
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
That one's too stupid, and for too many different reasons, to even try to explain.  I could write a 3-5 page legal analysis memo of just how FUBAR this is.

God save us from that...
Their obsession with explaining precedence to the world last month was quite enough already... and then again this month with their conveniently modified use of innocence presumption. One can only absorb a certain amount of their idiocy before shutting down.
Thing is (from my non-expert viewpoint), as much as we all bust on it sometimes, US law is grounded in common sense and civility about 98% of the time. Meaning, a person of civil and fair nature can look at an argument and come to a reasonable basic conclusion that will align with written law most times, all while knowing very little about written law itself. This concept appears to escape their tiny pinko minds. Like everything else within the reach of their inferior brains, law is just a tool that can be re-forged at will to further assist their quest for power and control, and it means nothing more than that to them.