Author Topic: DUmmies sacrifice to survive  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
DUmmies sacrifice to survive
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002191851

Justice wanted (374 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

So what have you had to change or eliminate from your life to survive?
I would love to have an honest talk about how average people (You know us middle class/working poor) have in a sense had to change our way of life just to live in this country that is rewarding the wealthy and corporations and punishing the average person.

I don't want be cruel to those who honestly see the problem who are better off and want to help people like me and probably like you BUT I just think we need to keep the truth in the spotlight.

This past year My husband and I had to live somethimes for a full week on Sandwiches. We gave up on cable because it was way too much. Unfortunately this past 2 weeks I was off work because I was sick and hubby was sick off work for a week.

We had saved some holiday money to get caught up on bills. We did but this bought of illness just put us behind again.

Why is it that in this country it takes so much money just to give yourselves the basics?

Hell Hath No Fury (13,267 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. I have had to take in roommates -

to keep the mortgage going.

I have to shop at discount food places. A non-Union Fresh and Easy opened in the neighborhood and I hate it when I have the cross the picket line, but shopping there enables me to eat better than I have in a few years. I was shopping at Target and FoodCo for my food. 

Going out to the movies is now a very special treat, concerts are gone, as are trips to the museums/zoo/other cultural events that were so important to me.

There are no new clothes, only thrift store finds.

Weekend drives are out.

My own health care needs are put off because I cannot afford the co-pays or non-insurance covered fees.

I have held onto DISH and HBO -- I couldn't handle being THAT deprived. 
It has been very, very tough for me the past few years. No raises, no bonuses, plus I am now helping support my elderly Mom financially.

With costs always going up but my income remaining flat, I'm getting very close to the breaking point
tabatha (16,757 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

5. Never had a cellphone.

Last edited Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:49 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Gave up cable TV in about 2000. Drive less. Shop at KMart. Built a garden for vegetables I hope to get going this year.

Never go to movies. Stopped magazine and newspaper subscriptions about 10 years ago. Rarely, trending to never in the last few years, eat out. Don't buy anything but basic foodstuffs - no wine, beer, etc.

Don't use air conditioning. Buy only shampoo, soap and toothpaste - no other toiletries or makeup.

That is, do with only the basics and don't spend much on gas or other outdoor activities. Keep to just walking for exercise.

While we do very high tech specialized stuff developed with no outside funding, we do not sell enough volume to rake in the $. Recently, because of budget cutting an existing order was cancelled and others are slow to get off the mark. Scary, scary stuff. We cannot afford a Republican. We did best when Clinton was President.

EDIT
Have not been to a dentist in 10 years, and an MD in 6. Also have to financially support my mother. 

Pssst....Obama (D)

RebelOne (22,061 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

6. I have to stop smoking.

I just turned 73 this week and I know these damned cigarettes are killing me. I have tried everything to stop even hypnosis. Nothing works. And don't say to quit cold turkey. I would be climbing the walls.

Such poverty.  ::)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: DUmmies sacrifice to survive
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »

I have to shop at discount food places. A non-Union Fresh and Easy opened in the neighborhood and I hate it when I have the cross the picket line, but shopping there enables me to eat better than I have in a few years. I was shopping at Target and FoodCo for my food. 

Imagine that! A non-union shop can sell goods at a cheaper price than an extremely inefficient union shop. Who knew?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »

Don't use air conditioning. Buy only shampoo, soap and toothpaste - no other toiletries or makeup.

I don't see deodorant on the buy list.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
I'd suggest hooking, but people with disposable income would actually have to want to have sex with them, for that to work.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Welcome to the 0bama economy and a fundamentally changed America.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

I would love to have an honest talk about how average people (You know us middle class/working poor) have in a sense had to change our way of life just to live in this country that is rewarding the wealthy and corporations and punishing the average person.

I don't want be cruel to those who honestly see the problem who are better off and want to help people like me and probably like you BUT I just think we need to keep the truth in the spotlight.

This past year My husband and I had to live somethimes for a full week on Sandwiches. We gave up on cable because it was way too much. Unfortunately this past 2 weeks I was off work because I was sick and hubby was sick off work for a week.

We had saved some holiday money to get caught up on bills. We did but this bought of illness just put us behind again.

Why is it that in this country it takes so much money just to give yourselves the basics?

Going out to the movies is now a very special treat, concerts are gone, as are trips to the museums/zoo/other cultural events that were so important to me.

There are no new clothes, only thrift store finds.

Weekend drives are out.

My own health care needs are put off because I cannot afford the co-pays or non-insurance covered fees.

It has been very, very tough for me the past few years. No raises, no bonuses, plus I am now helping support my elderly Mom financially.

With costs always going up but my income remaining flat, I'm getting very close to the breaking point

Gave up cable TV in about 2000. Drive less. Shop at KMart. Built a garden for vegetables I hope to get going this year.

Never go to movies. Stopped magazine and newspaper subscriptions about 10 years ago. Rarely, trending to never in the last few years, eat out. Don't buy anything but basic foodstuffs - no wine, beer, etc.

That is, do with only the basics and don't spend much on gas or other outdoor activities. Keep to just walking for exercise.

While we do very high tech specialized stuff developed with no outside funding, we do not sell enough volume to rake in the $. Recently, because of budget cutting an existing order was cancelled and others are slow to get off the mark. Scary, scary stuff. We cannot afford a Republican. We did best when Clinton was President.

EDIT
Have not been to a dentist in 10 years, and an MD in 6. Also have to financially support my mother.

Pssst....Obama (D)

RebelOne (22,061 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

6. I have to stop smoking.

I just turned 73 this week and I know these damned cigarettes are killing me. I have tried everything to stop even hypnosis. Nothing works. And don't say to quit cold turkey. I would be climbing the walls.

Note to DUmmies . You cant eat the internet. Smarten up.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
To each his own.  I live perfectly fine without HBO.  Who needs Bill Maher?  I will not give up the beer.   :cheersmate:

I remember some DUmmie bemoaning the fact that they "had" to shop at Dollar General.  "Why should I always have to shop at DG every week???!!!"  WTF?  Nothing wrong with those stores, I'd go even if I were an evil billionaire.   It's not like you're digging your own turnips or anything. 

I love these threads, they always try and out-poor each other.  Like Beth, they end up dining on pilfered condiment packets from the FF joint down the street.   :lmao:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
And who are they going to vote for? why are they voting AGAINST THEIR OWN SELF INTERESTS?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

Well there, DUmmie Justice wanted, I had to give up riding elephants. I won't give up shooting camels, tho. That's my annual Lenten sacrifice. But I will tell you that because the Obummer has been screwing with our energy situation, my employer won't let me give up my well compensated work in Power Generation and Power Transmission either. And I really need the rest and time off.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

Unions...
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
I really do laugh at how "deprived" the DUmmies think they are.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
As long as it involves large piles of burning stuff, peat bogs, or obsidian knive, I'm all for DUmmie sacrifice.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
Like Beth, they end up dining on pilfered condiment packets from the FF joint down the street.

An all-time classic!  It'd be great if it could be retrieved from the wayback machine.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Funny Kpete or Pam are not chiming in on this.

"Had to give up one of my four cruises every year.  Now I only get to take three."

Gave up cable TV in about 2000.

I guess this was W's fault?  Oh wait, he didn't take office until 2001.  "Edit"

ell Hath No Fury (13,267 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Its' been said already but...  You know that saying "It could slap you in the face and you wouldn't' know it?"

Again, have you ever heard that saying; "It could slap you in the face and you wouldn't know it?"

I could pick through some others, all I see is laziness and bitching because they aren't getting enough free shit or someone isn't handing them something.  Because I guarantee they have internet, Microwaves, TV's, and many other non-necessities.

The last few years of my life have been up and down.  I mean way up, and then way down.  I have had to do without many times.  It was usually my own fault... not every single time but some of the times.  I changed careers after 9/11 because I was in a sales and it hit the floor.  So I went and did what I have been wanting to do years before.  These people don't want to change, learn, adapt... they want it all given to them.  The unions keep jobs around that are years past their time, which in turn forces companies out of that state and many times out of the country.

I mean what the hell did all the Bell Operators do in the late 70's to early 80's?  I read somewhere that there where some 300,000 at one time and in a period of ten years because of technology they went to like 10,000. (my numbers may be a little of but you get the point)  These people had to adapt, learn something new, something besides sitting around complaining that the ****ing sky is falling.

"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
Dear DUmmies,

You know nothing of sacrifice. No one in this country does. You eat sandwiches and cut the cable and think you're suffering. You take in roommates to help pay the mortgage on a HOUSE you OWN. You have to shop at thrift stores, dollar stores & discount (non union) stores but you still have the Internet so you can bitch to the world about how bad you have it. Boo hoo! Amazing how your most passionate pleading, angst and compassion is always directed at yourselves.

There are people in the world, not just the "rich" (the definition of which changes depending on which one of you is whining) who don't eat sandwiches everyday because most days they eat nothing. They never had to worry about cable because they've never even seen a TV. A roommate would be an extra blessing because they don't even have a roof over their heads. ANY kind of store would feel like a trip to Heaven but even a dollar store might as well be a trip to Tiffany's. And the Internet might as well be a trip to outer space.

But then, these poor souls don't know sacrifice like you so I guess you do have it worse. They've never had anything they COULD sacrifice:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnrx7JeDhg[/youtube]
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
I am most likely poorer than anyone here or on DU and I don't sacrifice anything. Matter of fact I'm better off now than ever. Of course I worked the same job for 37 years. I don't have to worry about loosing it cause no else would want it and if they did I still do it better. I forge ahead every day I never look in the rear view.
  I gotta go pop a nice beer cause I smell the prime all natural beef short ribs cooking. Love them with homemade BBQ sauce. House is nice and warm cause the wood fire is burning. Gonna get 5-8 inches of snow tonight, no worries the quad is ready to go in the shed with the plow on. Got the weekend off and the Giants could go to the big one. Aaahhh life is good! suck it DUmmies!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
I have no sympathy for anyone that wishes death and starvation on me and my family just because I don't vote like they want.

Suck it hard DUmmies.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
I just love it!

Even though I know nearly every word from a DUmmy is a lie, I just love hearing about all their hardships.

The more they suffer, the more they do without, the more it seems like there's a symmetry in the world and that justice does prevail.

When DUmmies speak of their hunger and poverty, and then blame Bush, or the rich, or the banks, I feel like George C. Scott in Patton, "I love it, God help me, I love it".

I think I enjoy DUmp "poor" threads even more than their picture threads.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 07:00:22 AM »
So how's that Hope & Change working for yer DUmbazzez?  Working precisely as those who didn't get the stars in their eyes and sticks up their butts predicted - it wouldn't. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
I just love it!

Even though I know nearly every word from a DUmmy is a lie, I just love hearing about all their hardships.

The more they suffer, the more they do without, the more it seems like there's a symmetry in the world and that justice does prevail.

When DUmmies speak of their hunger and poverty, and then blame Bush, or the rich, or the banks, I feel like George C. Scott in Patton, "I love it, God help me, I love it".

I think I enjoy DUmp "poor" threads even more than their picture threads.

So do I.

That's the largest change in myself the past eleven years.

I used to feel distressed about people suffering, even in those cases where the person patently deserved to suffer (the consequences of some sort of conduct or attitude).

Now, I feel distressed only for those who innocently suffer, and thus far after eleven years I have yet to find a primitive who's innocent.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
DUmmies have had a silver spoon in their mouth for years. They voted for Obama to give them a bigger spoon...Obama gave them a rusty fork up the a$$. :lmao:
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
You know, I'd like to feel bad for them, really I would...except their voting record and their attitude toward our country, our government, and their complete dependence on Uncle Sam have lead to so many of these consequences that I feel they're earning their "sacrifices."

I've done the years when I rolled pennies to pay for prescriptions for my kids.

I've done the years when a bag of beans and a bag of rice were our main groceries for the last week of every month.

I've driven the cars with 280,000 miles on them...and hauled along starters, extra batteries, and tools on every trip.  (Oh, wait, I still do that.  Never mind.)

I've gone without cable for years. (oops, still do that, too.  Um...)

I have been very blessed in some ways.  I've worked hard at my jobs, and never lost one.  I've found new jobs before quitting the old ones.  I've paid my bills and eventually was able to pay down debt.  Now my husband and I were lucky enough to get a small inheritance from a relative.  We decided to go on a big cruise and blow it all.  (ooops, no, that's not true.)  We paid down more debt, paid off our house, and made an offer on a house outside town.

We'll still drive the old cars, and do without cable...but we will be able to let my youngest have her horse and a couple more at HOME, not at the farm where she does volunteer work, (though she is keeping that volunteer job, she loves the other horses too much to quit.)

We've been careful choosing this house, so will still be able to squeak by on only one income if needed, though it wouldn't be fun.  But it's necessary to plan for problems and emergencies and do what you can to meet them!

And large part of the reason we can manage this is because we "do for ourselves" everything we can.  We keep our jobs, don't smoke or drink or drug away our money, don't waste it on cruises and jewelry and clothes, and do give to charity and our church.  It really isn't that tough.  Really.

And it's true, people in this country are so very spoiled.  Most of us have no clue what true poverty is.  The last mission one of our kids went on was to Mexico.  They built a home for a poor family... a cement slab, 2 rooms, a couple windows and one door, a roof.  It was the nicest house this family ever had.  The third day of work, they went to start the walls and found the mother of the family already sweeping her new floor.  It was the first time in her life she'd had a floor that wasn't dirt.  

People in Mexico live in the dumps, and earn a living digging through the waste for food and anything they can sell.  Some people in Africa would consider those Mexicans to be rich...  that is why Christians give to missions, to help the poor in every country.  And also why it's so hard to feel sorry for people that think Uncle Sam should give them free houses, free utilities, free food, free medical care, free cable, free internet, free cell phones, and free money!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:23:35 AM by MrsSmith »

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
That's a wonderful post MrsSmith, too bad it'll fall on deaf ears. The difference between us and them is this, we muddle through the hard times, working and realizing things will get better with hard work and sacrifice, they bitch and think they're owed something for some weird reason. We know Obama is a narcissist, but I'm starting to think narcissism is a major trait of those who vote for and adhere to regressivism.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »
That's a wonderful post MrsSmith, too bad it'll fall on deaf ears. The difference between us and them is this, we muddle through the hard times, working and realizing things will get better with hard work and sacrifice, they bitch and think they're owed something for some weird reason. We know Obama is a narcissist, but I'm starting to think narcissism is a major trait of those who vote for and adhere to regressivism.
Along with their inability to understand even the most basic economics, absolute selfishness, and overwhelming dependence on forces outside themselves for everything.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.