Author Topic: poll: do the primitives misunderstand us?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
poll: do the primitives misunderstand us?
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:38:13 AM »
You know, lately I've been detecting some, uh, dislike of us here in the DUmpster by the primitives on Skins's island.  And a few times, it's gotten to be downright hostile.

Which confuses me greatly; we're nice people.

We disagree considerably with the primitives, of course, but we don't dislike them, wish them harm.

The primitives, on the other hand.....

I'm wondering if it's the rage and jealousy of those whose era is ending, against those whose era is dawning; the ancient envy of the old for the young, the has-beens for the will-bes, the goers-down for the comers-up, those whose day is done for those whose day is starting.

All my own entire life, and even before, it was the left which controlled government, the news media, academia, Hollywood, popular culture; and with a near-total iron-clad fist. 

What they said went, while the rest of us could only stand helplessly by.

They were the bewigged perfumed aristocracy, the Establishment.

Well, the left still is--Ronald Reagan, as influential as he was, never got to do even half of all the good things he wanted to do, and George Bush was a nice guy who tried pleasing everybody, supposing he could buy the left into liking him--but their predominance is cracking, and even now less than it used to be.

The invention and proliferation of the internet gave the people the opportunity to assert themselves--what happened in Egypt, in Morocco, in Libya, and is happening in Syria, for good or for bad, happened in America first, beginning about 10-15 years sooner (and the revolution's not over yet).

The Old Order being challenged, and then upset, by a newly-emerging order.

There are various ways one challenges the Old Order, one of them by "direct action" involving violence and mayhem, as the hippies of the 1960s used, a method totally and utterly rejected by those not on the left, those not in the dominating classes, given the repugnance of decent and civilized people to such things.

Instead, we use another way the left has used against us--again, all my own life, and before then--the weapon of ridicule, satire, mockery, lampoonery.  We laugh at them.

We've put up with that for decades, generations now.

Their priorities and concerns were taken seriously; ours were disparaged.

Well, now that the table's being turned, they don't like it, being laughed at.

As if we hadn't had to endure the same thing, and for so long.

I kindly suggest the primitives get a sense of humor; we've proven we have one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: poll: do the primitives misunderstand us?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
I voted 'most of the time'.  They really have no clue as to why we visit their "island".  I go for humor, most of which we find is posted unintentionally.  There is no point in arguing with them directly since they really can't reason properly.  I also pop over to see what their latest talking points are, whether it be about a Republican Presidential candidate or an event of the day.  I end up laughing more often than being angry.  I mean, why be angry?  They're a silly and inconsequential group of people after all.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
I voted 'most of the time'.  They really have no clue as to why we visit their "island".  I go for humor, most of which we find is posted unintentionally.  There is no point in arguing with them directly since they really can't reason properly.....I end up laughing more often than being angry.  I mean, why be angry?  They're a silly and inconsequential group of people after all.

My point exactly, sir.

(Although I wouldn't quite call them "inconsequential people" yet; they still vote.)

We endured their laughter, their scorn, for again, as long as before I was even born; now it's their turn.

We bore their laughter with good graces and a sense of humor.

Now it's their turn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
My point exactly, sir.

(Although I wouldn't quite call them "inconsequential people" yet; they still vote.)

I only meant inconsequential in their actual numbers.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »
I only meant inconsequential in their actual numbers.

Yeah, I figured, but I needed to point out the table's not completely turned yet.

It's still got quite a ways to be turned.....but it's turning, inexorably in a direction not favorable to the primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »
I voted no,they don`t misunderstand us.
That presumes they have a level of intelligence capable of finding a correct idea.

They are idiots and willfully ignorant in the face of all history regarding their beliefs.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »
Well, now that the table's being turned, they don't like it, being laughed at.

As if we hadn't had to endure the same thing, and for so long.

I am glad you feel that way, but I don't see it.

"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »
I am glad you feel that way, but I don't see it.

Well, there's a lot to happen yet, in academia, popular culture, and Hollywood--in fact, in those areas, the left still maintains its near-totalitarian stranglehold.  The table turning's been rather more obvious in government and politics (although still a long ways to go).

But it's turning, and will gain momentum as the old hippies die off.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:56 AM »
What galls them the most (or perhaps "Gauls" them, since they have both the lack of civilization and courage of the ancient, protean French) is that they DID resort to direct action to ascend. From the 1860s to the 1960s, from Calhoun to Ayers, the well-heeled aristocracy that is the upper tier of the Democratic party has been sending its unwashed youth to overturn representative government with acts of violence.

They've been doing this for a century and a half. Yes, they have re-branded themselves in the last 50 years but it is still distilled to the ether that they should get all the power and trappings of the manor-born that they want, the natural-born freedom of their serfs be damned.

It's quite a show when viewed in its entirety. They've played some very clever semantics along the way, i.e. slavery is a civilizing good and government dependency makes men free.

But now we challenge them and what's worse is now we can do it with mere words. Where they invested blood and gunpowder we win easily with jest. They reduced entire fortresses with cannonballs. We are building a civilization with humor. Imagine, so jealously guarding your rough-hewn stone tower with moats and sheboliths only to watch crystalline spires arc upwards towards the Heavens leaving your tower appearing diminished and petty.

Of course they're angry. They're furious because they image of their own self and the world has been insulted.

That they are freely invited to join us only enrages them all the more. The spires are not of their making even though they once boasted they would build to prove their glory and they never got to conquer the spires so that others might sing of their courage and genius.

Those who would be gods are infuriated to be seen as fools.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »

Awesome, sir, just awesome.

When I get around to winning the Powerball, do you want to be my ghost-writer?

Damn, that's good.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
Indeed, sir, and well said.  

I took the question to mean conservatives in general, and not just CCers.  They say that "teabaggers" are "tyrannical" and "authoritarian."  Where in the hell do they get that from?  We want the boot of the government off our neck, and they see that as some kind of dictatorship?  They do not understand the Right in the least.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
They do not understand the Right in the least.

No, they don't, not at all.

Their misunderstanding of us is based not merely upon stupidity or ignorance, but Arrogance.

After all, they've been the top dogs all my own life--and since before--and we've just been the peasants.

Arrogance blinds one more than stupidity or simply not knowing something.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
They are clowns to us and the most hilarious part is when they threaten us with violence. These idiots would likely "own goal" themselves more often than not if ever presented with open hostilities.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
When I get around to winning the Powerball, do you want to be my ghost-writer?

If you win the Powerball I'll be your grecian slave-boy if you paid me enough.

:o

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Need a "who cares" answer, because that would be mine.  I don't care what they understand, what they don't, what they purposely misrepresent, or any of it.  They need to just ignore we're here and do their thing as if no one is watching them, which is exactly what Skin's has commanded them to do.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
If you win the Powerball I'll be your grecian slave-boy if you paid me enough.

No way; I have a Hell of a lot more respect than that.

As you know--I've said it often enough--you and NHSparky are my paragons, my models, here, when it comes to good, seasoned wisdom expressed in writing, just as JohnnyReb is my ideal for story-telling, and GOBUCKS manages to say things I want to say, but can't quite say them.  And Ballygrl of course inspires me to be nice.

Myself, yeah, sure, I do okay, but there's a juvenile streak that can't be grown out of, given the social retardation of the deaf.  As the bug-eyed property caretaker here has reminded me more than once, "Boss, when you die, whenever that is, you're still going to only ever been 19, 20, 21 years old."

My writing's an honest, accurate, true-to-life reflection of what and how I really am, and that's it.

So I'm great at the funnies, but suck at the wisdom.  When I get around to winning the Powerball lottery, and if you'd agree to come onto the payroll as my ghost-writer, I'll not only pay a good wage, but you'll have a better, more luxurious, office than my fellow alum Skins, and prettier secretaries.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
They need to just ignore we're here and do their thing as if no one is watching them, which is exactly what Skin's has commanded them to do.

Oh, absolutely.

The primitives should listen to Skins, and they would, if they had any respect for my fellow alum, ignoring us.

But alas, the cat's out of the bag, the Pandora's box has been opened.
apres moi, le deluge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
Ballygrl of course inspires me to be nice.

She has the exact opposite effect on me.

:naughty: :whistling:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
No, no, no.
They are fully aware of the ridicule we heap upon them.
Dumpmonkeys know that one purpose is to push them away from the public teat.
They fear conservatives in the same manor as radioactive milk.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »
We disagree considerably with the primitives, of course, but we don't dislike them, wish them harm.

Well, I have to confess I can't say that for all of them.  Many of them I pity, or even empathize with, and some are even people with whom I could be friends with whom I don't talk politics.  But, there are a fair number who just need to ascend and meet the Space Bros riding behind the comet as expeditiously as possible before they do even more damage to the country than they have already.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
I misread/misunderstood the question and voted no and I think I meant to vote yes. Oh hell, now I confused myself.  :whistling:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »
Well, I have to confess I can't say that for all of them.  Many of them I pity, or even empathize with, and some are even people with whom I could be friends with whom I don't talk politics.  But, there are a fair number who just need to ascend and meet the Space Bros riding behind the comet as expeditiously as possible before they do even more damage to the country than they have already.

I use "dislike" rather than "hate," because "hate"'s such a distasteful word.

So substitute "hate" for "dislike" in my comment, to get what I mean.

I don't think it's in us to really hate the primitives, although quite frankly, I wish their self-destruction would be happening a lot quicker than it seems to be happening.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
I misread/misunderstood the question and voted no and I think I meant to vote yes. Oh hell, now I confused myself.  :whistling:

Carl made the same mistake.  Excresence happens.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
Well, I'm only the second-nicest guy one could ever hope to meet, so my view is less charitable than coach's.
To me, DUmp democrats are a tribe of vermin that's beneath contempt, so I do actually wish them harm and suffering.
They're not worth the effort to actually make that happen, but they bring enough onto themselves to be a source of continual amusement.
I guess it's a LIHOP sort of thing.
When a DUmbass like Vinnie expresses his hatred for us, it concerns me no more than what a zoo primate really thinks of us.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
I don't think it's in us to really hate the primitives, although quite frankly, I wish their self-destruction would be happening a lot quicker than it seems to be happening.

Hear hear, Roger that, and zum Wohl!

:cheersmate:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.