Author Topic: Teachers are overpaid??? Our district has been frozen at 2008 salary levels whil  (Read 2491 times)

Offline CC27

demtenjeep Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Mon Feb-21-11 11:02 PM
Original message
Teachers are overpaid??? Our district has been frozen at 2008 salary levels while prices continue

to rise.

How is that overpaid???

Don't you have a cruise to catch? I hear the bartender still does not want you.

What's that i hear? Poof? Do a trick and stop talking lady.

proud2BlibKansan Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Mon Feb-21-11 11:22 PM
Response to Original message
7. You're going to be jealous.

I got 1% this year.

But I can't share it because our health insurance went up and there went my 1%. Poof!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x477821

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Wow, DUmmy "royalty" in the same thread!  :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Welcome to the real world bitches.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

proud2BlibKansan(1000+ posts) Mon Feb-21-11 11:22 PM
Response to Original message
7. You're going to be jealous.

I got 1% this year.

But I can't share it because our health insurance went up and there went my 1%. Poof!

If there were any justice in the world, you'd be "rooming" with Bobo in the Buick.  You too Greenbriar.

Offline CC27

If there were any justice in the world, you'd be "rooming" with Bobo in the Buick.  You too Greenbriar.

I heard its a park ave so there is enough room.

Offline jukin

Teacher's pay needs to be multiplied by 1.33 (12/9) for a normalized salary.

Where the teachers and public sector people really make out is in retirement. They retire at their highest wage which in effect makes them defacto millionaires. 25 years on the job and 25 years on retirement means they are making approximately double their wage.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

Where the teachers and public sector people really make out is in retirement. They retire at their highest wage which in effect makes them defacto millionaires. 25 years on the job and 25 years on retirement means they are making approximately double their wage.

Often teachers and other public union employees cash out sick days and vacation days in their last year which inflates their pay for that year.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

As to not sound insensitive to teachers, let me back up a minute.

The former Mrs. Wiggum is a teacher.  Not a union teacher, as she's worked for private schools in IL (and other states now) over the past 15 years.  Teachers for the most part are underpaid, especially considering many are required to have a Masters Degree to even apply for a position, as she does.

Private school teachers are usually paid less than public school counterparts, even with their advanced education.  And they work their butts off.  It's not even just for 9 months out of the year, more like 10 1/2.  After dealing with a classroom of 25 kids for that many months, I think they deserve a month & a half off.

Additionally, many don't work anything like an easy day.  10-12 hours is relatively normal.  And that doesn't even count the additional work done from home.

Offline TexasCop

We pay into it, though.  And our percentage rates are frozen.  We don't benefit when the stock market is humming along.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

demtenjeep Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Mon Feb-21-11 11:02 PM
Original message
Teachers are overpaid??? Our district has been frozen at 2008 salary levels while prices continue

to rise.

How is that overpaid???

Well, perhaps you were already ridiculously overpaid in 2008...?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner

We pay into it, though.  And our percentage rates are frozen.
We do 7% and the city kicks in 14%. Sounds lucrative, but it's pretty much the same as the private sector in terms of what it costs the city. All private employers have to pay Social Security (7%) and most have a 401K match of up to 6 or 7%. We opt out of SS and don't have a 401K, so it's pretty much even. Also, I haven't had a raise since 2007 or 2008 (it's been so long I forget) and our share of the health care keeps going up. Unlike DUmmies, I realize that the citizens of my city have it just as hard (or harder) than I do, so I'm not about to demand that they pony up even more in taxes.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Well, perhaps you were already ridiculously overpaid in 2008...?

That bitch has been overpaid and unqualified since she was cleaning the deep-fryer at McD's.

Offline TexasCop

We do 7% and the city kicks in 14%. Sounds lucrative, but it's pretty much the same as the private sector in terms of what it costs the city. All private employers have to pay Social Security (7%) and most have a 401K match of up to 6 or 7%. We opt out of SS and don't have a 401K, so it's pretty much even. Also, I haven't had a raise since 2007 or 2008 (it's been so long I forget) and our share of the health care keeps going up. Unlike DUmmies, I realize that the citizens of my city have it just as hard (or harder) than I do, so I'm not about to demand that they pony up even more in taxes.

Ours is 2:1, too.  They were talking about going down to 1:1.  A rep from the Texas Municipal Retirement System came in to show our council that we are NOT retiring as millionaires, so they left it alone....thankfully.  I'm in the same boat.  No raise for the past 2 years.  For 5 years before that, we'd get 2 or 3% raises, but our healthcare would go up 15%.  I'm making less now than I did 7 years ago, even with our COLA bumps. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
How many taxpayers does it take to pay for one public union workers salary, insurance and retirement?

Offline TexasCop

How many taxpayers does it take to pay for one public union workers salary, insurance and retirement?

Very few, considering most government entities get the bulk of their tax funds from corporations.  Yes, you're paying taxes, but what you pay pales in comparison to what your employer is paying.

In the municipality where I work, I believe that only 20% of the city's taxes come from the residents.  A full 80% of the city's income comes from the businesses.

Offline thundley4

Very few, considering most government entities get the bulk of their tax funds from corporations.  Yes, you're paying taxes, but what you pay pales in comparison to what your employer is paying.

In the municipality where I work, I believe that only 20% of the city's taxes come from the residents.  A full 80% of the city's income comes from the businesses.

And businesses pass those taxes on to consumers, right?

Offline TexasCop

And businesses pass those taxes on to consumers, right?

Of course, but you could twist anything into being tied into taxes.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
This will make your blood boil:

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/California_state_government_salary#

And these people have the gall to call themselves public servants.

Even in a lower income county (Butte, where I live) the average Teacher makes MORE than the median income family.  

Median Family Income in 2000: $33,793
Per-Capita Income in 2000: $14,386

TeacherPortal Salary Rank: 44th

Starting Salary: $35,760
Average Salary:  $59,825

Source:     http://teacherportal.com/district/california/oroville-union-high
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Airwolf

I haven't had a pay raise in 3-4 years and when I got my last pay raise it was all of. 25 per hour. Sorry but I haven't made more then 18K a year and I'm tired of these union assholes crying about how hard they have it.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TexasCop

Wineslob, those are very misleading because of the flaws in how the MFI is calculated.  

The MFI where I work is $38k.  What's funny is that we only have a relatively small area for the middle class.  The wealthy and upper middle class far outnumber them here and I promise you they make far more than $38k per household.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Of course, but you could twist anything into being tied into taxes.

Actually no TC....the point is that the taxpayers are paying for municipal employees salaries and benefits whether the revenue is derived from direct taxes, or indirectly through corporate and business taxes that effectively increase the cost of goods and services that we all buy.  There comes a point (and we are well past it in the US) where additional government spending, whether on employees and benefits or entitlement programs, where the taxation required to support that level of government services makes the private sector no longer competitive in the marketplace.

When that happens, companies move their operations to a lower tax location, or outsource them entirely, costing jobs.  When the jobs are lost, the workers either lower their standard of living or they move away (see California, Illinois, and New York)..........when the businesses and population moves away, the tax revenues plummet further, and the need for those well-paid municipal workers diminishes, so they loose THEIR jobs.......

Simple economic cause and effect.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline TexasCop

Right, but deny that you're paying for the services.  You don't get police, fire and teacher services for free.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
I just want them to be paid based on merit, not years faithfully paying union dues.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline formerlurker

As to not sound insensitive to teachers, let me back up a minute.

The former Mrs. Wiggum is a teacher.  Not a union teacher, as she's worked for private schools in IL (and other states now) over the past 15 years.  Teachers for the most part are underpaid, especially considering many are required to have a Masters Degree to even apply for a position, as she does.

Private school teachers are usually paid less than public school counterparts, even with their advanced education.  And they work their butts off.  It's not even just for 9 months out of the year, more like 10 1/2.  After dealing with a classroom of 25 kids for that many months, I think they deserve a month & a half off.

Additionally, many don't work anything like an easy day.  10-12 hours is relatively normal.  And that doesn't even count the additional work done from home.

I know so many talented, dedicated and passionate teachers however that is not the norm.   Your wife sounds like a gem though.  I appreciate everything she has done and continues to do in this field.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

I know so many talented, dedicated and passionate teachers however that is not the norm.   Your wife sounds like a gem though.  I appreciate everything she has done and continues to do in this field.

Ex-wife, but yeah, she's still a very dedicated teacher.  The good ones don't go into it for the money.