Author Topic: If it was in your power to remove one person from history, who would it be  (Read 2586 times)

Offline thundley4

hootinholler   (1000+ posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 04:54 PM
Original message
A question to ponder...

The time machine thread got me wondering, so here's a question I think could be illuminating.

If it was in your power to remove one person from history, who would it be and why?

I'll be back with my choice, I haven't decided yet 
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x115855

Ohio Joe   (1000+ posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 05:01 PM
Response to Original message
2. Jesus

For world peace.

badtoworse (193 posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 09:00 PM
16. Muhammad

IMO, Islamic fundamentalism is today's biggest threat to world peace

Motown_Johnny   (1000+ posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 09:02 PM
Response to Reply #16
18. you would remove the largest religion in the world because you are afraid?

curious

badtoworse (193 posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 09:58 PM
Response to Reply #18
34. My choice is based on who's doing what in the world today

Fear has nothing to do with it.

Motown_Johnny   (1000+ posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 10:02 PM
Response to Reply #34
35. and what wars are Muslims engaged in today

other than with us? If you have no answer then clearly eliminating us would be more sensible since there are far more of them.

badtoworse (193 posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 10:13 PM
Response to Reply #35
39. Islamic fundamentalists have committed terrorist attacks all over the planet

Edited on Tue Jan-04-11 10:21 PM by badtoworse
I might add that in many Muslim countries, the justice system, which is based on religious law, is barbaric. In these same countries, the abuse of women is appalling. Are you OK with women being flogged for wearing slacks?

The OP asked about eliminating a single individual from history, not eliminating billions of Muslims from the world today.

badtoworse must be a freeper troll.

elehhhhna   (1000+ posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 09:14 PM
22. whoever was responsible for themost deaths...

which could be Charlemagne (most royalty is decended from him, and they started a LOT of wars). So that makes the mind go to Jesus. Mohammed. All the religious figures whose names were used in vain to justify killing the innocents. It's an interesting question. I have no answer. Not yet, anyway.

bemildred   (1000+ posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 09:23 PM
Response to Reply #22
26. Genghis Khan, Tamurlane, I mean that is what most of political history IS!

Although it is true that the 20th century applied new methods in a most efficient way to the "problem". For sheer numbers, you have to go with Stalin and Mao, but it's not because they were really different.

Oh my.

elehhhhna   (1000+ posts)           Tue Jan-04-11 10:37 PM
Response to Reply #26
40. pol pot was also a piece of work

hate radio -- see Rwanda & Glen Beck

slavers

Leopold of Belgium

so many jerks...

COLGATE4   (1000+ posts)         Tue Jan-04-11 09:23 PM
27. Hitler. Think of the countless millions and millions of lives that

would have been saved.
Synicus Maximus (604 posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 09:29 PM
Response to Reply #27
30. Mao or Stalin Think of the countless millions and millions of lives that would have been saved.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Motown_Johnny   (1000+ posts)             Tue Jan-04-11 10:02 PM
Response to Reply #34

other than with us? If you have no answer then clearly eliminating us would be more sensible since there are far more of them.

:lmao:

Hmmm, Ok. Here we go:

Chechnya
France
Netherlands
Philippines
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
England
Spain
Nigeria
Sudan
Somalia
Kenya
Italy
Saudi Arabia
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

They're at war with EVERYONE NOT MUSLIM, you Damn morons!
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
BTW, me? Karl f'n Marx. HANDS DOWN!

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Vagabond

That's easy.  Robespierre.  Him and his merry little band of misfits (Jacobins) were the original DUmmies.  Robespierre, was in many ways, the original Obama.  A good orator, told the unwashed and uneducated what they wanted to hear.  Opposed the death penalty, unless somebody disagrees with him, then they had to be killed for the good of the state.  Was more than happy to use the power of the state to execute anybody for any reason, evidence or not.  Tried to make society and commerce conform his views rather than conforming his views to the observable world.  A real nice piece of work, all around.   Without him, the Marxists don't come about in their historic form.  

The DUmmies are amusing.  They want to get rid of Jesus' influence?  Do they realize that the Jesus and the Church are responsible for the notions of human rights in the west?  Seriously, without them, the DUmmies would be indentured servants somewhere being made to work.  They should thank God every single day for Jesus and what he brought.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Looks like a close race at the DUmp between Hitler and Ronald Reagan. I'm surprised Dubya isn't a landslide winner.

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
That's easy.  Robespierre.  Him and his merry little band of misfits (Jacobins) were the original DUmmies.  Robespierre, was in many ways, the original Obama.  A good orator, told the unwashed and uneducated what they wanted to hear.  Opposed the death penalty, unless somebody disagrees with him, then they had to be killed for the good of the state.  Was more than happy to use the power of the state to execute anybody for any reason, evidence or not.  Tried to make society and commerce conform his views rather than conforming his views to the observable world.  A real nice piece of work, all around.   Without him, the Marxists don't come about in their historic form.  

The DUmmies are amusing.  They want to get rid of Jesus' influence?  Do they realize that the Jesus and the Church are responsible for the notions of human rights in the west?  Seriously, without them, the DUmmies would be indentured servants somewhere being made to work.  They should thank God every single day for Jesus and what he brought.

Good one; I was also thinking of Karl Marx (which still left Engels alive), but then you mention Robespierre.

Gotta love the whining about Jesus. As if no one has ever killed anyone else before Jesus came and invented war. Indeed, leftists have no concept that Christianity is the sole reason why the West has the high and well-honed understanding of morality that it does. Two thousand years of Christianity have given us a deep-seated sense of right and wrong, speaking to the natural sense of morality God inscribed on the human conscience, and excelled in this to a degree absolutely no other religion or philosophy has ever managed to equal or surpass.

As always - stupid Democrats.

Also, I'm surprised Dubya isn't the landslide winner, too. From the last few years of his presidency, you'd have thought that the Left has hated no one else ever and will hate no one else after Bush leaves office.

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
Yeah. Reagan ruined their dream of what is now the defunct USSR.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
I was expecting to see one of the DUmmies say Sarah Palin.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
badtoworse (193 posts)      Tue Jan-04-11 09:00 PM
16. Muhammad
 IMO, Islamic fundamentalism is today's biggest threat to world peace

Admin over there must be getting lax. They still haven't deleted this gem.  :-)
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Obwana, just cause I hate the ****er more than any other person that has inhabited the ****in' planet in my lifetime!

Did I say I hate the ****er?

I don't think I have ever said that about another human being. I have disagreed with many, but never has it been elevated to "hate". O'Bumbler takes the cake!

Mostly because he used his race to get morons to vote for the least capable prick in the universe to occupy the Peoples House!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Re: If it was in your power to remove one person from history, who would it be
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 03:50:35 AM »
Response to Reply #34

**** you...you worthless POS.  A certain sector of the Muslim world is engaged in a war with ANYONE that isn't of their belief system?

Do you honestly ****ing think that kissing their ass will somehow appease them?

Who are the Muslims engaged in war with?  Infadel asshats like you.  Only you're head is jammed too far up your politically correct libtard fourth point of contact to realize it.

EADC.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
Also, anybody Hindu.  Sweetie-pie Muslims will consider Christians to be the "People of the Book," which old Mo said were OK (as long as they paid up the Jizzyah).  Hindus fair game.  "Hindu Kush" means "The Slaughter of the Hindus." 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
Hard not to go with Hitler, but Mohammed is certainly a huge contender and Stalin isn't far behind the two of them.  Stalin was every bit as  bloodthirsty as Hitler if not moreso.  I would hesitate to say that Marx, Mao, or Stalin were unique actors whose removal would have changed anything, though, they all had equally-horrid or dangerous cohorts who could well have gotten their own societies to the same place.  For instance, the USSR under Lavrentiy Berya would actually have been even more horrible than under Stalin. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
Response to Reply #34

Let's narrow this down:

QUESTION: Which nation with a prominent Muslim population does NOT have an issue with terrorism and civil war?

ANSWER: It's a trick question, there isn't one.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
22. whoever was responsible for themost deaths...

which could be Charlemagne (most royalty is decended from him, and they started a LOT of wars). So that makes the mind go to Jesus. Mohammed. All the religious figures whose names were used in vain to justify killing the innocents. It's an interesting question. I have no answer. Not yet, anyway.
Mao. 70,000,000 people murdered. Stalin is a distance second at 'only' 40,000,000.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »
I hope that everyone realizes that going back in time alone would change things beyond just what You might try and accomplish removing a historical figure.  You could end up being the cause for letting an even worse person to do where a Butler or a Mao failed to do.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
I hope that everyone realizes that going back in time alone would change things beyond just what You might try and accomplish removing a historical figure.  You could end up being the cause for letting an even worse person to do where a Butler or a Mao failed to do.

Yep...especially in the political sphere.  Transformative religious figures might be another story, but who knows what would've happened in their absence.   

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Yep...especially in the political sphere.  Transformative religious figures might be another story, but who knows what would've happened in their absence.   

Always better to look on the bright side. Maybe we wouldn't have to listen to DUmmies runnin' their mouths about shit they know nothing about if we got rid of a key figure on their side, like Fidel or Che! No wait, how 'bout Hugo??? Yeah that's the ticket! What would a primitive do without their savior of the 21st century?

Well I can dream can't I?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Al, Jesus may have said 'The poor we will always have with us,' but he could just as easily and correctly have said 'The stupid mofos we will always have with us.'  No matter who you take out, there will always be plenty of dumbshits left in the world to establish and fill the ranks of places like DU. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Al, Jesus may have said 'The poor we will always have with us,' but he could just as easily and correctly have said 'The stupid mofos we will always have with us.'  No matter who you take out, there will always be plenty of dumbshits left in the world to establish and fill the ranks of places like DU. 

:lmao: sorry, know it's not a funny topic, but that comment made me laugh.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »

:lmao: sorry, know it's not a funny topic, but that comment made me laugh.

Any topic in the DUmpster is funny! They just can't help themselves!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
Cortez's,----Cotton Mathers, John Wilkes Booth,   take your pick.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »

Hmmm, Ok. Here we go:

Chechnya
France
Netherlands
Philippines
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
England
Spain
Nigeria
Sudan
Somalia
Kenya
Italy
Saudi Arabia
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Thank You! I know there was a statistic a few years ago and it was said at the time that there were 26 wars going on in the world and either 25 or all 26 involved Muslims.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

and it should be noted, they have been for 3 centuries or close to it!

( oh, and thanx Reb for showin' me a way to write Damn without using the obvious term! Much obliged! )

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

You forgot, that the different sects of Muslims have been at war with each other also.