Author Topic: I'm broke and jobless. But can someone explain to me how cutting fed'l workers p  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9654268

Hello_Kitty  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:26 AM
Original message
I'm broke and jobless. But can someone explain to me how cutting fed'l workers pay helps me?
 Because I'm just not seeing it. But according to some people, this wage freeze should make me happy because those gubmint workers make too much and it's so unfair to the struggling private sector. Erm, okay.

Would someone walk me through how this federal employee wage freeze improves my situation and that of millions of other unemployed Americans

About the same way "sticking it to the rich" does but you still wish for that.

LAGC  (1000+ posts)      Tue Nov-30-10 02:28 AM
Response to Original message
1. Fed workers will have less money, which means they'll spend less, which means less jobs.
 Indeed, I don't think it helps jobless people at all.

Why doesn`t that theory apply to businesses that employ people when you talk about taxing them to death?

Hello_Kitty  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:31 AM
Response to Reply #1
4. That's what I think too. 
 We're not having much luck persuading the "stick it to those overpaid gubmint workers" crowd of that. 

No...stick it to the rich,that is different.

SidDithers  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:28 AM
2. Must every government action directly help you?...nt
 Sid

In DUmp land the answer is HELL YES!!!

Hello_Kitty  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:30 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. Way to miss my point, Sid. eom

Nope,you are just too stupid to understand what he was saying.

RandomThoughts  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 03:42 AM
Response to Reply #15
17. Its a label trap. If you can get someone to be the opposite of some teachings
 Edited on Tue Nov-30-10 03:44 AM by RandomThoughts
Then say they are part of them, then the meaning of that label can tried to be changed in the mind of many people.

It is not about the label. Machiavellians are taught to do that exact thing. And it is done with most labels, the methodology is to take a stored concept in a label, and use that stored concept to help oneself. It is a form of theft.

If I say I am a car mechanic, you will attribute to me the ability to fix cars simply by what was earned by many car mechanics that loaded your macro for what a car mechanic is. If I was to say that and was not, I could steal the work done by those that are car mechanics without earning it, and if then I was not a car mechanic, the label is burned down as it is depleted and not added to.

That is what many do to labels around religion, and the defense and reason to have faith not be an issue needed for a test of office, or even needed to be asked about. Since by making that requirement of someone having to say what they believe, you allow people that do not show it in their heart to claim it and use the energy of people of that faith that added to the meaning of that label.

So I try and avoid labels, nor thinking of what a person is by a label.

Not trying to group any set of people in that label group, many probably try to do better, many might even think they do, so it really is an education and thinking and feeling issue.
Must take pretty strong dope to make any sense of that.
Maybe Vesta`s DU name?

Offline Karin

Iassa's the only one who can make sense of RandomThoughts. 

HelloKitty, 1)  you're broke and jobless because you're stupid.  2)  Money doesn't grow on trees, and there is no such thing as a free lunch.   eom.   

Offline thundley4

Randomthoughts actually makes Vesta seem like a super-duper genius, IMO.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
RandomThoughts  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 03:42 AM
Response to Reply #15
17. Its a label trap. If you can get someone to be the opposite of some teachings
 Edited on Tue Nov-30-10 03:44 AM by RandomThoughts
Then say they are part of them, then the meaning of that label can tried to be changed in the mind of many people...

...Not trying to group any set of people in that label group, many probably try to do better, many might even think they do, so it really is an education and thinking and feeling issue.

Translation, please!

I don't need this explained in "layman's terms".  

English will be fine.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Translation, please!

I don't need this explained in "layman's terms". 

English will be fine.
Well it's NOT just me who can't make any sense of WTF the dude? is tryin to say
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
LAGC  (1000+ posts)      Tue Nov-30-10 02:28 AM
1. Fed workers will have less money, which means they'll spend less, which means less jobs.

The DUmmy stumbled upon trickle-down economics and why tax cuts work!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline diesel driver

Well it's NOT just me who can't make any sense of WTF the dude? is tryin to say

Like one of my friends used to say in college.

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit."
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline diesel driver

LAGC  (1000+ posts)      Tue Nov-30-10 02:28 AM

The DUmmy stumbled upon trickle-down economics and why tax cuts work!

The DUmmie almost had it figured out, but left out one little step.

"For every dollar spent by Fed Gov, they have to tax WE THE PEOPLE $4.  Fed Gov will need less money in taxes, which means WE THE PEOPLE will have more to spend, which means more jobs."  

"Missed by THAT much."  (Quoting an old line from Maxwell Smart.)

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Like one of my friends used to say in college.

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit."
I thought it was just the morphine that made is sound like jibberish....
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Hello_Kitty  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:26 AM
Original message
I'm broke and jobless. But can someone explain to me how cutting fed'l workers pay helps me?
 Because I'm just not seeing it. But according to some people, this wage freeze should make me happy because those gubmint workers make too much and it's so unfair to the struggling private sector. Erm, okay.

Would someone walk me through how this federal employee wage freeze improves my situation and that of millions of other unemployed Americans

The intent isn't to help you, the intent is to cut back on federal spending to help those who are working and trying to get by. We could save even more if we dis-banded all federal unions and implement salary and benefit changes.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline diesel driver

I thought it was just the morphine that made is sound like jibberish....

Afraid not.  They're "just that way". 

Somethings in life just can't be explained.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

"For every dollar spent by Fed Gov, they have to tax WE THE PEOPLE $4.  Fed Gov will need less money in taxes, which means WE THE PEOPLE will have more to spend, which means more jobs."  

You're going to have to explain that one because it really doesn't make any damn' sense, unless three out of every four tax dollars are going to filling up Scrooge McBiden's Money Bin.  It ALL gets spent, one way or another...salaries, including salaries of people who collect taxes, power and water for the Capitol, B2s, fuel for Forest Service trucks, sheets of linen paper to print money on, Fed money shared into State highways and local school systems, entitlement payments, and what have you.  Whether you support or hate any given item, it is all part of the macroeconomic picture of where it goes after they collect it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
You're going to have to explain that one because it really doesn't make any damn' sense, unless three out of every four tax dollars are going to filling up Scrooge McBiden's Money Bin.  It ALL gets spent, one way or another...salaries, including salaries of people who collect taxes, power and water for the Capitol, B2s, fuel for Forest Service trucks, sheets of linen paper to print money on, Fed money shared into State highways and local school systems, entitlement payments, and what have you.  Whether you support or hate any given item, it is all part of the macroeconomic picture of where it goes after they collect it.

I also question the $4 in taxes for $1 in "services" bit, but to be fair, my old home state of NM a few years back gave a $50 "rebate" to those who qualified (amazing how those who paid more didn't get it), but it was estimated that the state of NM had to take in nearly $80 for every $50 it gave back.

The things that make you go, "Hmmmmm..."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Godot showed up

In some ways he's correct--this is, after all, just another obvious Obama political ploy.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Going out on a limb in presuming there was a study that showed for every dollar of end use "benefits" spent there are three more bled into the bureaucracy of goverment.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Going out on a limb in presuming there was a study that showed for every dollar of end use "benefits" spent there are three more bled into the bureaucracy of goverment.

That's all I can figure, but it all still gets spent in some form back into the economy and so is not 'lost,' it's not like they use it to stoke the boilers with bales of cash for heat in the White House.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
That's all I can figure, but it all still gets spent in some form back into the economy and so is not 'lost,' it's not like they use it to stoke the boilers with bales of cash for heat in the White House.

In that way no but there are all the considerations of how many hundreds of thousands or millions spent to "create" a pitiful number of jobs.
Is it even ever close to a viable program?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

In that way no but there are all the considerations of how many hundreds of thousands or millions spent to "create" a pitiful number of jobs.
Is it even ever close to a viable program?

I don't think that was about any single program or job creation, it read like it was about the entire Federal budget.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
I don't think that was about any single program or job creation, it read like it was about the entire Federal budget.
That I don`t know...I took it to mean specific benefit or stimulis programs but could be wrong there.
Sort of the same deal as how much money it takes to administer the food stamps program in relation to how much direct aid it delivers.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Note to DUmmies...you really don't have to get all wee wee'd up about this because it's all smoke and mirrors. They can get around the pay "freezes" by "promotions" and other government Rube Goldberg shenanigans. I think they should have a REAL freeze until the private sector salaries at least catch up with (if not surpass) them. Since the private sector PAYS THEIR DAMN SALARIES and it's called PUBLIC SERVICE, not fund the SEIU. I'd like to see a law banning government worker unions because the only people held hostage are "the people" they're supposed to be serving.

Besides, there's a reason people joke about the DMV. My son says the civilian admins and contractors are completely worthless, yet they make more than he does.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Iassa's the only one who can make sense of RandomThoughts. 

HelloKitty, 1)  you're broke and jobless because you're stupid.  2)  Money doesn't grow on trees, and there is no such thing as a free lunch.   eom.   

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not at all.  Haven't a clue what the dude is saying.  What I do know is that he writes in complete sentences, and I have not yet noticed any significant grammatical errors.  It's like he just picks sentences from the sky, like stars, or skittles or something.  To be that totally clever, or messed up is a talent. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline true_blood

Hello_Kitty  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 02:31 AM
Response to Reply #1
4. That's what I think too. We're not having much luck persuading the "stick it to those overpaid gubmint workers" crowd of that. 
Well, hello kitty. ::) Seems you have your head up your ass. "Stick it to the gubberment workers"?! How much of gubberment workers has grown compared to the private sector? Yet, your lord dumbo is increasing the size of gubberment. Do you know what's going on right in front of your nose? Or are you one of the "sheeple"?

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
Gubbamint workers = The Rich.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Note to DUmmies...you really don't have to get all wee wee'd up about this because it's all smoke and mirrors. They can get around the pay "freezes" by "promotions" and other government Rube Goldberg shenanigans. I think they should have a REAL freeze until the private sector salaries at least catch up with (if not surpass) them. Since the private sector PAYS THEIR DAMN SALARIES and it's called PUBLIC SERVICE, not fund the SEIU. I'd like to see a law banning government worker unions because the only people held hostage are "the people" they're supposed to be serving.

Besides, there's a reason people joke about the DMV. My son says the civilian admins and contractors are completely worthless, yet they make more than he does.

Cindie

Well I was in the private sector and actually made more doing the same job.......hmm.  I've never belonged to a union.  Are they gonna pay people in the SES the same as GE's CEO?  The majority of the people I work with are making the same as their private sector equivalents.

I don't know your son but I'll withold judgement of him, since over the last 20 years I've either been a contractor, active duty or goverment employee. 
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.