Author Topic: primitive wants to re-train for job  (Read 309 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive wants to re-train for job
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=362x935

Oh my.

supernova  (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-20-10 04:18 PM
Original message

Any one change careers that required complete retraining?

I simply cannot find work in my previous field. It genuinely feels like everything has dried up: contacts, recruiters, let alone leads just aren't there. Recognizing this situation, I'm considering switching to a career which is a complete 180 from what I was previously doing.

While I have a very solid idea about what my new job will entail, I need facilities and equipment that looks like it will be available much later than I originally planned. So in the meantime I am considering going to school to get the training I would need to make me more credible to the new industry. The facilities I would need would not be available until next winter. If I start school in the fall, I could be 1/2 way through before the facility I need comes online.

Does this sound realistic to you? Have you gone for retraining for a second or third career? How did you manage it and how did you keep body and soul together while you did? I'd appreciate hearing stories from others who have done what I'm about to do.

Predictably, while the "how to apply for social security disability" forums are congested, traffic-jammed, with primitives, this is from the "job and career" forum, which is usually about as active as the deaf-and-hard-of-hearing forum on Skins's island.

DaveJ  (1000+ posts)      Wed Sep-01-10 09:34 AM
Response to Original message

1. Well I'm not necessarily the best advise-giver, but it's been like 12 days and nobody's replied. I'm surprised this forum is not more active. I feel like a freak posting so much in this forum, but it seems to me, jobs is the most important issue of our time, perhaps the most important issue overall, since it is how we occupy most of our time, usually subservient to others. Yet for some reason this forum gets very little activity. Go figure.

Personally I do not have much experience being trained in anything. No job has ever given me training, I guess they never felt the need. I tried taking Java classes when I was unemployed, but now I know no company will hire me just because I'm "me" and not some automaton, so about the only way I can get by is taking it to the street level. I'm starting a site that is pro local economy, better than sites that a big team of bratty 6 figure corporate programmers take years to create.

Bottom line is I don't know. I can't depend on the system for anything, personally. I am totally unable to behave in the clueless generic way I'm expected to behave, and as a result I may very well be homeless and do better work than corporate automatons from a cave or something.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline true_blood

Re: primitive wants to re-train for job
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »
From above;
DaveJ  (1000+ posts)      Wed Sep-01-10 09:34 AM
Response to Original message

1. Well I'm not necessarily the best advise-giver, but it's been like 12 days and nobody's replied. I'm surprised this forum is not more active. I feel like a freak posting so much in this forum, but it seems to me, jobs is the most important issue of our time, perhaps the most important issue overall, since it is how we occupy most of our time, usually subservient to others. Yet for some reason this forum gets very little activity. Go figure.

Yeah, and what is Obbummer doing about it?!?! Going on vacations, eating ice cream and lobster, redecorating the White House to look like the lobby of a Motel 6. Maybe spend some more money on the economy, "HOPING" that it will work, knowing that it will not!! It is important, but Lord Dumbo doesn't give a damn!!! :bird: :bird: :censored: