Author Topic: disabled primitive in shock  (Read 1865 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
disabled primitive in shock
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=250x4012

Oh my.

PaulFan (15 posts)     Mon Feb-22-10 01:24 PM
THE RON PAUL PRIMITIVE
Original message

I'm in shock after reading some of the topics here. I still can't believe that there are still so many people that are so ignorant an dumb. Some people seem to think that we asked for our disabilities.

I'm hearing impaired and visualy handicaped, in other words I can hear about 45% and see about 70%. I was born with these disabilities, so I'm "used" to it. But it just seems that some people just don't know how to deal with it.

There are people that are "afraid" of it, and ignore me. There are also people that talk to me like I am a five year old child, that you have to yell at. And then there is my boss. My boss is one of those ignorant dummy's out there. For about 8 years know I work in a sheltered workshop. I work in a green house, doing al kinds of things. When I started working there I didn't have much trouble with my hearing ( I can't work somewhere where there is a lot of loud noises ), but about 4 years ago they decided to 'regroup'.

I ended up in the most incompetend department of the green house, it was the loudest dep. of the green house. I told my boss about it. She said that it was just teporary and they where looking for another job for me. I thought, ok, if it's only temporary, I'm fine with it.

To cut a long story short, I'm still waiting for that "other job". In the last 4 years they have offered my some jobs, sure. But they were even worse. ( either it was even noisier or I couldn't do it because of my eyes ) And every time I told theme I couldn't take the job, the got angry.( One time, she even told me she didn't believe me and called me a liar.)

And every time I had to explain why, and what kind of job would be better, but did they listen? Of course not, that would be to easy. And know, I literlly sick of the past 4 years, I'm having all kinds of medical problems now, because of all the stress.

So now, I think my boss has a hearing problem to. I mean, what other reason is there for treating my like this.For calling me a liar. Does she really think I like my disabilities?

But, beside all those dummy's there are some really cool people out there as well. About a yaer ago I started getting the help I need. So that's a good thing. But still.

I'm sorry about my long, sober story. I just had to vent I guess. Thanks for listening, and please share your thoughts and feelings.

Christa  (1000+ posts)        Mon Feb-22-10 01:27 PM
Response to Original message

1. Oh man 

It is a cruel world

Chemisse  (1000+ posts)        Mon Feb-22-10 01:30 PM
THE LADIES'S UNDERGARMENTS PRIMITIVE
Response to Original message

2. Is there a way for you to get legal assistance?

As I'm sure you know, there are laws that need to be followed requiring handicapped people in the workplace. If you have medical documentation, there is no reason why any employer would have to "believe" you.

PaulFan (15 posts)     Mon Feb-22-10 01:42 PM
THE RON PAUL PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #2

3. I know

You're right, but those same laws are also workin against me. It's complex.

And my boss is doing a lot of things to work around those laws, I even had to go to court once to get them to do the right thing, but still, it didn't get me very much.

The law says they have to offer me a job, and they did. The problem is, that I can't get it clear to them, what is a suitable job for me. My boss thinks everyone with a handicap can do the same job, she doesn't look further than that. She seems to think that everybody with a disability is the same. She says I have to be happy that she's offering me a job.

PaulFan (15 posts)     Mon Feb-22-10 01:43 PM
THE RON PAUL PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #2

4. I did

And it helped me in some ways, but my boss found a way to work around it.

corpseratemedia  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-22-10 01:49 PM
Response to Reply #4

5.  I wonder if "working around it" is another legal issue though...

cuz they shouldn't be, and you've been in an "temporary" situation thats uncomfortable for your disability for 4 years..

sorry about your disabilities...what i've learned is, unless people have it, a heck of a lot of them won't have a clue..

PaulFan (15 posts)     Mon Feb-22-10 02:05 PM
THE RON PAUL PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #5

6. Weel, now I'm at home, sick. But there isn't much that can be done, legaly. I just have to wait untill the doctor clears me for work again, and then wait for another offer.

And you right, people are afraid of what they don't know.

I dunno; I suspect the Ron Paul primitive's stretching things a bit, but as for his bona fides as a hard-of-hearing person, they're legit; his writing style and vocabulary do betray significant audiological problems.

But as for the rest of it, as I said, I dunno.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: disabled primitive in shock
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
I'm sorry about my long, sober story. I just had to vent I guess. Thanks for listening, and please share your thoughts and feelings.

Was he really sober?

Offline Duchess

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
I think this dummy just expects them to create just for him/her the "perfect" job, using his criteria. I'm sure we'd all like that! In a liberal's perfect world, they'd get paid for doing nothing, but as long as one has to work, it's their RIGHT! to have a job created that suits them perfectly. They don't ever understand that jobs are there because somebody needs to pay someone to get something done, not because there's some unfair karmic rule that they have to exert themselves to some degree in order to live.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
I went to look to see if there was a better description of its "disabilities" but not on that thread.

The whole thing sounds like a self pitying sob story to be honest about it.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
I even had to go to court once to get them to do the right thing

DUmmies believe this is the key to a successful career.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
I went to look to see if there was a better description of its "disabilities" but not on that thread.

The whole thing sounds like a self pitying sob story to be honest about it.

Sounds like somebody had a job, before the re-organisation, in which they didn't have much supervision, and being a liberal slacker, they liked it that way. Nothing now is going to suit until they get another position without much supervision, so they can continue their slacker ways.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
Sounds like somebody had a job, before the re-organisation, in which they didn't have much supervision, and being a liberal slacker, they liked it that way. Nothing now is going to suit until they get another position without much supervision, so they can continue their slacker ways.

I'm greatly curious, because I have no way of knowing myself.

Are greenhouses noisy places to work?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »

Only when the plants scream when they are yanked out by their roots.  :-)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »

I'm no greenhouse expert but, I can't think of any reason why they would be noisy.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
I'm no greenhouse expert but, I can't think of any reason why they would be noisy.

I'm familiar with greenhouses of course, and when I win the Powerball lottery and hire you as the "idea man" for a musical comedy about the primitives, the second thing I'll do is build a greenhouse.

Greenhouses always struck me as damp, perhaps warm, places, but nothing more than that.

I just can't fathom a noisy greenhouse more than I can understand a quiet rock concert.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »
This DUmmy says the greenhouse is part of a "sheltered workshop". The racket is probably his fellow whackjobs screeching at each other.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »

The only ones I've ever been in were either small private ones at people's homes, commercial ones like Walmart or a local nursery, or something like the beautiful one on the grounds of the ante-bellum home Bellingrath, Alabama. The only noise was from the people in them talking, so they seemed fairly quiet to me, the Walmart one of course being the "noisiest", and that wasn't noisy.

I don't know if perhaps really big commercial ones might have systems for watering, or cleaning, etc, that might make some noise, but I don't see how even that would be on a regular basis.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
I'm familiar with greenhouses of course, and when I win the Powerball lottery and hire you as the "idea man" for a musical comedy about the primitives, the second thing I'll do is build a greenhouse.

Greenhouses always struck me as damp, perhaps warm, places, but nothing more than that.

I just can't fathom a noisy greenhouse more than I can understand a quiet rock concert.

Will we have rock concerts in that greenhouse?  :-)

Unless the greenhouse is near the airport I can't think of any reason that there would be excessive noise in one.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »

We now have Powerball in TX but I haven't played it yet. I forgot to play MegaMillions last night darn it. I should know by now that if I don't play, I can't win... since that is kind of the motto of the Texas Lottery Commission. lol

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
We now have Powerball in TX but I haven't played it yet. I forgot to play MegaMillions last night darn it. I should know by now that if I don't play, I can't win... since that is kind of the motto of the Texas Lottery Commission. lol

We have both in NY, and I forgot to play last night.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
This sounds like a workshop deal where the employer gets tax breaks for hiring the handicapped. The only noise in a greenhouse is the exhaust fans. :whatever: Why would noise bother him if he can't hear it?
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
This sounds like a workshop deal where the employer gets tax breaks for hiring the handicapped. The only noise in a greenhouse is the exhaust fans. Why would noise bother him if he can't hear it?

The primitive's not deaf, but hard-of-hearing.

I'm guessing he hears noise, but can't decipher what those noises are.

And that can drive people nuts.

It's a psychological thing more than an audiological thing, but it can be a really bad distraction--which is why hard-of-hearing people tend to be grouchy, while we deaf people tend to be laid back, nonchalant, at ease, and mellow--and if in fact there is noise in the greenhouse, I can understand the primitive's frustration.

However.

However.

However.

There might be something else going on here.

The hard-of-hearing primitive mentioned working with other people in the greenhouse; and he appears to have enough hearing to know that these other people talk, chitchat, converse, gossip, chew the fat, flap the jaws--but because of his hearing deficiency, while he knows they're talking, he can't really join in on it.

And there can be resentment about that; even though a primitive, the guy is human after all.

We all want to be a part of human society; some of us realize that's not possible, and so accept, adapt, and move on.....but others of us--and this is DEFINITELY more prevalent among the hard-of-hearing, than what one finds in the deaf--get all pissed off and angry and bitter because we can't do what other people can do.

If I were the hard-of-hearing primitive's boss, I would do two things: (a) have him work on stuff that doesn't involve a whole lot of interaction with others, and others out of his sight if possible, and (b) have him do heavy, muscle-draining stuff.

This way, the hard-of-hearing primitive doesn't see so much of that which he cannot have (the ability to easily converse), lessening his resentment, and because he's working so hard, he's burning off his excess anger and frustration, at the end of the working day going home tired, but at peace with the world and himself.

I really wish the primitive would have described the "noise" that makes working in a greenhouse so irksome, but as most here know from my own writing, sometimes we tend to leave important details out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
Coach, knowing that it's a primitive that's doing the complaining, I'd not bet against the idea that the co-workers might be talking about, and laughing at, him.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
We have both in NY, and I forgot to play last night.

If I play and win I do plan to donate to CC and FR.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »
Coach, knowing that it's a primitive that's doing the complaining, I'd not bet against the idea that the co-workers might be talking about, and laughing at, him.

Well, that too is possible.

I have no idea what the hard-of-hearing primitive means by having "45%" of hearing and "70%" of sight.  These things aren't usually measured this way, and one suspects that with about half of normal hearing and more than two-thirds of normal eyesight, well, Hades, there's lots of people around who aren't that lucky.....and I'm talking about people in the mainstream, not the "handicapped."

Unfortunately, I detect brain damage, which might be the thing most crippling the hard-of-hearing primitive.  And that he works in a "workshop" suggests this, too.

It's not a good deal, and one feels for the guy, being not particularly bright.....but at the same time, he's actually working, as compared with other primitives we know, such as the shadowy primitive and the subway cat and the natural primitive and the gigantic primitive.

I think the hard-of-hearing primitive deserves some kudos for this, but really think he'd be better off assigned to tasks where he works alone; this would also have the effect of keeping him off the public dole longer. 

(Actually, he probably gets some social services, and this does appear to be a "make work" sort of job--but hey, he's at least trying, which is more than one can say for any of the other disabled primitives.)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
Anyone wonder if the Paulbot is a mole?
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
Anyone wonder if the Paulbot is a mole?
First thing I thought when I read it....
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »
PaulFan (15 posts)     Mon Feb-22-10 01:24 PM
THE RON PAUL PRIMITIVE
Original message

I'm in shock after reading some of the topics here. I still can't believe that there are still so many people that are so ignorant an dumb. Some people seem to think that we asked for our disabilities.

I'm hearing impaired and visualy handicaped, in other words I can hear about 45% and see about 70%. I was born with these disabilities, so I'm "used" to it. But it just seems that some people just don't know how to deal with it.

There are people that are "afraid" of it, and ignore me. There are also people that talk to me like I am a five year old child, that you have to yell at.

Alright moron, you make those kind of statements, then this is how it works:
First of all - SHUT THE **** UP!

You bitch about people treating you differently because of your "disabilities"? Ok, then STOP ACTING DIFFERENTLY!
Listen up, nut-up, shut the **** up, get off your ass and GET BACK TO WORK!
If you do not want to be treated differently because of your "disabilities", then shut your cock-sucking fag mouth and get back to work and pull your weight.

When people start DEMANDING you work EXACTLY the same as everyone else, with the same positive attitude, with the same work output, and with the exact same dependability as them, then we will not ALLOW you to play the "I am a retard" card.

Got it, deaf, dumb, and blind man?

The reason people treat you differently is because you are continually bitching about your "disabilities" thus one day you want special treatment in the manner of pay, hiring, access to facilities, and promotions, the next day you are chewing our assess off because we treat you differently.

Nut up, SHUT THE **** UP, and get back to work, you lefty parasite.

No more special treatment DUmmy, pull your weight WITHOUT any special treatment or roll your scooter back into the gutter.

How do you like them apples, DUmmy?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:34:23 PM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
Was he really sober?
He is a DUmmy - you have to ask?
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
Alright moron, you make those kind of statements, then this is how it works:

First of all - SHUT THE **** UP!

You bitch about people treating you differently because of your "disabilities"? Ok, then STOP ACTING DIFFERENTLY!

Listen up, nut-up, shut the **** up, get off your ass and GET BACK TO WORK!

If you do not want to be treated differently because of your "disabilities", then shut your cock-sucking fag mouth and get back to work and pull your weight.

When people start DEMANDING you work EXACTLY the same as everyone else, with the same positive attitude, with the same work output, and with the exact same dependability as them, then we will not ALLOW you to play the "I am a retard" card.

Got it, deaf, dumb, and blind man?

The reason people treat you differently is because you are continually bitching about your "disabilities" thus one day you want special treatment in the manner of pay, hiring, access to facilities, and promotions, the next day you are chewing our assess off because we treat you differently.

Nut up, SHUT THE **** UP, and get back to work, you lefty parasite.

No more special treatment DUmmy, pull your weight WITHOUT any special treatment or roll your scooter back into the gutter.

How do you like them apples, DUmmy?

Well, yeah, that too.

But I still think the Ron Paul primitive deserves at least a couple of brownie points for having a job, which is more than what one can say for most primitives.
apres moi, le deluge