Author Topic: A Bible on a teacher's desk = hate crime.  (Read 1964 times)

Offline thundley4

A Bible on a teacher's desk = hate crime.
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:41 PM »
mmonk   (1000+ posts)             Tue Feb-16-10 09:04 AM
Original message
On Facebook, out of class

Religious conflict leads to teacher's suspension

Melissa Hussain, an eighth-grade science teacher at West Lake Middle School in southern Wake County, was suspended with pay Friday while investigators review her case, according to Greg Thomas, a Wake schools spokesman. The suspension came after some of Hussain's students and their parents objected to comments on her Facebook page, many revolving around her interaction with Christian students.

Hussain wrote on the social-networking site that it was a "hate crime" that students anonymously left a Bible on her desk, and she told how she "was able to shame her kids" over the incident. Her Facebook page included comments from friends about "ignorant southern rednecks," and one commenter suggested Hussain retaliate by bringing a Dale Earnhardt Jr. poster to class with a swastika drawn on the NASCAR driver's forehead.

-snip-

On her Facebook page, Hussain wrote about students spreading rumors that she was a Jesus hater. She complained about her students wearing Jesus T-shirts and singing "Jesus Loves Me." She objected to students reading the Bible instead of doing her work.

-snip-

The flash point for the comments came after the Bible was left on Hussain's desk in December. The Bible was accompanied by an anonymous card, which, according to Hussain, said "'Merry Christmas' with Christ underlined and bolded." She said there was no love shown in giving her the Bible.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7724187

Pretty stupid of womyn to put that stuff on a public forum.  I wouldn't put anything about my employer, or the workplace that is negative on there.

catbyte   (345 posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 09:14 AM
Response to Original message
1. This is really disgusting

I'm getting angrier and angrier with each incident. We seem to be regressing back to the Dark Ages--can the Inquisition be far behind? And what in hell is the matter with the school board, suspending the poor teacher? She was obviously harrassed by a bunch of snotty, self-righteous teenagers who, I suspect, were egged on by their wingnut parents. I realize I'm making all sorts of judgments here, but this has really ticked me off. Where is Wake County, anyway?

Diane, a devout agnostic

Anishnabe in MI

Searching fro street cred?

mmonk   (1000+ posts)             Tue Feb-16-10 09:16 AM
Response to Reply #1
4. It is in NC. Most of the county is progressive (around Raleigh)

but Apex is around 20 miles outside the city.

dmallind   (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 09:15 AM
2. Somehow this "won't be about religion" either......NT

It isn't. It's about how a teacher acts towards her students.

T Wolf   (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 09:16 AM
3. This teacher will be sacrificed on the altar of Christist supremacy. In order to minimize this

kind of bullshit, we all need to fight back against the reich wing's effort to take over the schools.

Teachers have rights, even in the classroom.

The little brats that harassed her should be expelled.

Yeah, having the lefties in charge of education for the last 40 years has worked out soooo well, right?  For teacher's salaries, yes, for the kids education, not so much.

Veruca Salt   (761 posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 09:21 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. +1

This makes me so angry I don't have any words...

Then why take up bandwidth?

Arugula Latte   (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 12:05 PM
Response to Reply #5
16. The thumpers need to be thumped back down under their rocks.

Nice to see you support freedom of speech.

JerseygirlCT   (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 09:20 AM
6. That's wrong in so many ways.

Although I do have to say, it's foolish of a teacher to allow her pages and info to be viewed by students - glad I don't teach, but if I did, I'd have things sewn up pretty tight on my page, you know?

Doesn't take away a bit from the wrong done to her, though. Bullying in the name of religion doesn't make the bullying any better.

But her bullying back and "shaming" the students is perfectly fine?

lolly (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 10:53 AM
Response to Reply #6
12. That's what I was thinking

Why would you put derogatory comments about your students in a public forum like that? It's not very professional.

While some of the incidents went overboard, leaving a Bible on a desk is NOT a hate crime. Pushy, silly perhaps, but not a hate crime. Be the adult here. Thank the students for the interesting piece of literature they so generously gave her, and tell them she looks forward to reading it. Take the wind out of their sails.

Arugula Latte   (1000+ posts)           Tue Feb-16-10 12:07 PM
Response to Reply #12
18. "Thanks. I was out of fire starter sticks, so this silly work of fiction should do nicely."

OnyxCollie   (1000+ posts)             Tue Feb-16-10 12:20 PM
Response to Reply #18
22. keep the Bible on the desk and rip out pages whenever Kleenex is needed.

That would be a hate crime, if it were the Quran . :sarcasm:

Offline formerlurker

Re: A Bible on a teacher's desk = hate crime.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
She should have been fired -- some local teacher contracts in my state have clear language about facebook and other social internet sites.  Join and post crap at your own risk cause you could get fired for it. 

I wish the school board of Pam's district would review her extremely disturbing commentary regarding her students viewing her as a "good slave owner."   I can't imagine any parent of a child in that classroom brushing that off lightly. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
BREAKING: Teacher Finds Nothing on Her Desk, Blames Atheists
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
BREAKING: Teacher Finds Nothing on Her Desk, Blames Atheists

Heh, heh, good one! Turn about is fair play.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »
If it were the NAMBLA Manifesto the teacher would be czar in Obama's administration.

Gots to haz yur mindz rite.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
I don't know why but stories relating to education have been a big topic on the Island lately.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
If she can't handle her students and control their behavior in her classroom then maybe she should consider a different career.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »
She should have been fired -- some local teacher contracts in my state have clear language about facebook and other social internet sites.  Join and post crap at your own risk cause you could get fired for it. 

I wish the school board of Pam's district would review her extremely disturbing commentary regarding her students viewing her as a "good slave owner."   I can't imagine any parent of a child in that classroom brushing that off lightly. 

They wouldn't, if it were true. Even though it is a bouncy it says a lot about her.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
All of Wake county is liberal, no offense to the few non liberals, but damn.

Shit they just pulled the new change they were going to teach for US history.....................beginning with R.B. Hayes :thatsright:

Yes, US history to be taught beginning in 1877 in NC, then they trashed the idea cause of great public outrage..............hard to believe :thatsright:

Yes this teacher should be fired
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
She never needed to be a teacher in the first place.  What an embarrassment to the human race she is.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:42 PM »
Now had this been a Christian teacher who had a Koran left on her desk...the DUmmies would have applauded.

IMHO...this smells like a bouncy...similar to the college Prof who claimed she was a victim of a hate crime over a noose hung over her office door and racist things scratched on her car...and then it turned out she'd done it all herself.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
Now had this been a Christian teacher who had a Koran left on her desk...the DUmmies would have applauded.

IMHO...this smells like a bouncy...similar to the college Prof who claimed she was a victim of a hate crime over a noose hung over her office door and racist things scratched on her car...and then it turned out she'd done it all herself.

She posted it on her Facebook page.  I went hunting for it and found her husband's page and several of the people who posted some of the nasty comments, but it seems her's has either been deleted or she's shut it off temporarily.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »
A Bible and a Christmas card = a hate crime?   ::) ::) ::)  What's the teacher's DUmp name?   :loser:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
A Bible and a Christmas card = a hate crime?   ::) ::) ::)  What's the teacher's DUmp name?   :loser:

"Greenbriar?"  :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
Speaking of Pam Dawson, we haven't heard a single lie from her since Grandma Bonnie checked out, and Pam accused some anonymous DUmbass of being my mole. She's completely missing in action, hopefully not a victim of the violent alcohol abuser she lives with. The Las Vegas Lardass is missing as well. He's been incommunicado for ten days now, and I fear his grossly abused and overtaxed ticker may have blown to pieces on him.

Offline kenth

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
The Las Vegas Lardass is missing as well. He's been incommunicado for ten days now, and I fear his grossly abused and overtaxed ticker may have blown to pieces on him.

Maybe he lost those last 40 pounds, found a job, got off the internet and on to his wife and is now a well adjusted tax paying citizen.

:lol:

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
Speaking of Pam Dawson, we haven't heard a single lie from her since Grandma Bonnie checked out, and Pam accused some anonymous DUmbass of being my mole. She's completely missing in action, hopefully not a victim of the violent alcohol abuser she lives with. The Las Vegas Lardass is missing as well. He's been incommunicado for ten days now, and I fear his grossly abused and overtaxed ticker may have blown to pieces on him.

Hmmmmm.......sock puppets anyone? Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!1111

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:   Or proud2Blib...   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:07:37 AM »
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:   Or proud2Blib...   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I wasn't sure about that primitive, so I didn't include it.  Obviously, you were sure about that one. :hi5:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:06:37 AM »
The Las Vegas Lardass is missing as well. He's been incommunicado for ten days now, and I fear his grossly abused and overtaxed ticker may have blown to pieces on him.

Yeah, I'm concerned too.

No word from the gigantic primitive for more than a week and a half.

His computer crashed, or broke, or something, and perhaps he's waiting for new parts.

But he could at least stroll down to the local library and post, it seems.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm concerned too.

His computer crashed, or broke, or something, and perhaps he's waiting for new parts.

Coach, I think one or more of his coronary arteries might have sealed shut on him.  Bummer, too.  Even though he was/is a DUmb****, he's one of God's Children (even though he might have lost his way).

Chase her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:31 AM »
Coach, I think one or more of his coronary arteries might have sealed shut on him.  Bummer, too.  Even though he was/is a DUmb****, he's one of God's Children (even though he might have lost his way).

I'm rather more hopeful.

I think it's just that his computer is busted, and he's too lazy to stroll down to the public library to use one there while his is being fixed.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm concerned too.

I don't think Jeanette could afford the tow truck bill! That's the only way I see him "strolling" anywhere.

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »

Am I a bad person? I just heard Billy Ray Cyrus singing "Achy Breaky Heart" in my head while reading this.

BTW, what was that other teacher's DU name that used to discuss her students?
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm rather more hopeful.

I think it's just that his computer is busted, and he's too lazy to stroll down to the public library to use one there while his is being fixed.
For the Vegas behemoth, it is not a small matter to "stroll down to the public library". Remember, shoes designed for human feet will not fit on his paddles. So, for protection from the abrasive pavement he would be forced to waddle down the street with toilet seat lids duct-taped to his "feet", one enormous Vagisil-slathered thigh slurping against its neighbor, his exhausted heart laboring mightily to circulate blood throughout an enormous volume of flesh and blubber. At some point during his journey, someone would likely tip off the local TV news, so he would be accommpanied by their satellite trucks. All the while, his "Bodybugg" would be recording data way outside the parameters it was designed to handle. So he may not be strolling to the library.