Author Topic: My Mixed Victory Today Against fox "News".  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
My Mixed Victory Today Against fox "News".
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »
MarianJack  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Fri Sep-18-09 11:15 PM
Original message
My Mixed Victory Today Against fox "News".   Updated at 11:15 PM

Hi everybody. It's late so I'll make this quick.

I got to the city I work in (Lewiston, Maine) obscenely early today. After calling my manager and finding that there was no OT available, I stopped into McDonald's for a quick bite.

When I got to my seat, there it was on the TV screen. faux news, broadcasting an incredibly racist story about an alleged victim of sexual abuse recanting her story and the faux "anchors" rearing up in their phony rightist rage about ... Actually, who gives a **** about the content of their nontroversy raving?

I went up to the manager and asked if fox had to be on the air as I really didn't think that right wing indoctrination was conducive to appetite. I also reminded them that this is a BLUE state. She changed the channel immediately.

Where it becomes a mixed victory is here, where I felt somewhat honor bound to at least WATCH the damned TV after having the offending channel changed. I was stuck with an infomercial for a weight loss product. I was reading a pretty good book today, too!

Anyway, I'm sure that fox was immediately turned back on as soon as I left, but who cares? If anybody else was offended, they can also speak up. After all, silence from the center and left is how fox got away with so much for so long. This is why I ALWAYS raise an issue when rightist blather is on when I'm in a restaurant.

PEACE!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6583781

:whatever:

Zoeisright  (153 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Sep-19-09 12:04 AM
Response to Original message
7. I did that too while waiting for my new car battery.

They were very obliging and changed it to CNN. A slight improvement.

Raspberry  (119 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Sep-19-09 07:53 AM
8. I don't get where you think

the phony gang-rape story was racist, since all five of the accused were minority. Five young men could have gone to prison for a very, very long time for a LIE. Five lives ruined because a woman lied. It would have been a travesty.

What's so "nontroversial" about that???????"

TicketyBoo  (132 posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Sep-19-09 11:01 AM
14. Our Applebee's   Updated at 11:01 AM

always has at least two of their eight sets tuned to Fox News.

Who can listen to one channel when there are so many sets, anyway?

We don't go there as often as we did before the TVs came on the scene about a year ago.

Here, if you asked them to change the channel from Fox, it could mean a fist fight.

My husband got shown the door of a local business (and told to never come back) for standing up for Obama in the midst of a right-wing tirade from a small group of men.

:lmao:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive wins mixed victory against news channel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6583781

Oh my.

MarianJack  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-18-09 11:15 PM
Original message

My Mixed Victory Today Against fox "News". 

Hi everybody. It's late so I'll make this quick.

I got to the city I work in (Lewiston, Maine) obscenely early today. After calling my manager and finding that there was no OT available, I stopped into McDonald's for a quick bite.

When I got to my seat, there it was on the TV screen. faux news, broadcasting an incredibly racist story about an alleged victim of sexual abuse recanting her story and the faux "anchors" rearing up in their phony rightist rage about ... Actually, who gives a **** about the content of their nontroversy raving?

I went up to the manager and asked if fox had to be on the air as I really didn't think that right wing indoctrination was conducive to appetite. I also reminded them that this is a BLUE state. She changed the channel immediately.

Where it becomes a mixed victory is here, where I felt somewhat honor bound to at least WATCH the damned TV after having the offending channel changed. I was stuck with an infomercial for a weight loss product. I was reading a pretty good book today, too!

Anyway, I'm sure that fox was immediately turned back on as soon as I left, but who cares? If anybody else was offended, they can also speak up. After all, silence from the center and left is how fox got away with so much for so long. This is why I ALWAYS raise an issue when rightist blather is on when I'm in a restaurant.

virgogal (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:22 PM

1. McDonald's shouldn't have TV's anyway. Just my opinion.

The Gloria Swanson primitive:

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:23 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. Why not?

That's an interesting notion. I've never thought about it.

Why do you think they shouldn't have TV?

virgogal (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:31 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Too disruptive,too noisy,just more of the constant barrage of visuals and audios that we are bombarded with.

If I go to McDonalds alone I read,with my grandchildren I want to chat.

There is just one left in our area w/o TV and that's where I go.

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:35 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. I'm siting here, nodding - 

I don't go inside McDonald's when I get that urge, but I agree with you about the constant barrage. Too many places have TV where there should be nothing.

People might end up talking to each other, which, I think, would be a good thing.

Or, god forbid, read a book?

Thanks. As I said, I was just curious.

virgogal (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:42 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. My Boston Globe and I go in the AM for the 85 cent senior coffee which is actually quite good.

I'm frugal.

barbtries  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-19-09 12:50 PM
Response to Reply #3

15. i deplore the tv's everywhere i go as a general rule. hate commercials. i don't subject myself to them in my own home, why do i have to endure them in the line at the supermarket, at mcdonalds, wherever. can't people talk anymore, enjoy a moment without being bombarded by media, read a book?

MarianJack  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-19-09 10:39 AM
Response to Reply #1

9. I Don't Disagree with you,... 

...but this one did have a TV. I didn't feel like watching fox BS, or being subjected to it.

barbtries  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-19-09 12:52 PM
Response to Reply #9

16. i'm glad you did that.

i expect at some point to get a chance to do the same, but it hasn't happened yet.

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-18-09 11:23 PM

2. That is a VERY COOL STORY!!!

You really surprised me. I expected you to be turned down, but she changed the channel right away?

That's how it gets done. A little bit here, a little bit there. Maybe it was turned back on, but it's entirely possible that it wasn't.

Next time you drop in there, suggest MSNBC to them, tell them it's really, really popular with smart people. That often works.

What was the good book you're reading? (I'm curious.)

But, kudos to you for taking that step. Remember the old Chinese adage about a journey of a thousand miles beginning with a single step?

You did good, my friend. Take a bow.

Zoeisright (153 posts)      Sat Sep-19-09 12:04 AM

7. I did that too while waiting for my new car battery.

They were very obliging and changed it to CNN. A slight improvement.

Raspberry (119 posts)      Sat Sep-19-09 07:53 AM

8. I don't get where you think the phony gang-rape story was racist, since all five of the accused were minority. Five young men could have gone to prison for a very, very long time for a LIE. Five lives ruined because a woman lied. It would have been a travesty.

What's so "nontroversial" about that???????"

KittyWampus  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-19-09 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #8

10. It's the reactions and commentary coming from the talking heads.

MarianJack  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-19-09 10:50 AM
Response to Reply #8

13. Yes, it would have been a travesty. 

The tone and the usual pandering by fox to their tea-bagger, birther, deather & LOONEY base is the disgusting thing. Maybe I didn't see all of the details, but this IS fox, where nontroversy is king. I didn't watch the whole story for the same reason I don't have to eat an entire egg to know if it's rotten. To give them the benefit of the doubt is like assuming that I've finally come across the Chimp who can randomly hit a keyboard and come out with "War and Peace".

A new primitive allegedly from Nebraska:

TicketyBoo (132 posts)       Sat Sep-19-09 11:01 AM

14. Our Applebee's always has at least two of their eight sets tuned to Fox News.

We don't go there as often as we did before the TVs came on the scene about a year ago.

Here, if you asked them to change the channel from Fox, it could mean a fist fight.

My husband got shown the door of a local business (and told to never come back) for standing up for Obama in the midst of a right-wing tirade from a small group of men.

Yeah, yeah.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

Re: My Mixed Victory Today Against fox "News".
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »
After all, silence from the center and left is how fox got away with so much for so long.

Silence?  SILENCE????  The left is 95% of the noise in the country!!!   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This is why I ALWAYS raise an issue when rightist blather is on when I'm in a restaurant.

PEACE!

Um, isn't this "ALWAYS raise an issue" the exact opposite of PEACE!!   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »

Apparently the conversion part of this bouncy didn't go well.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »
Apparently the conversion part of this bouncy didn't go well.

I'm getting rather skeptical about this new primitive allegedly from Nebraska.

Nebraskans wouldn't "show someone the door."

Maybe people in blue cities and blue states would (although the situation would be reversed, the primitives being the bullies), but in Nebraska, we laugh at primitives, not shove them out the door.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
Up here we just kick 'em in the ass on the way out!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »
Anyone know what story they are talking about?

I'm trying to figure out what's racist about someone lying about sexual abuse.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »

A girl from some college accused 4-5 black and hispanic men of raping her.  When confronted with evidence that it couldn't have happened the way she claimed she recanted.  As far as I know there is no race issue in the story.  Only a story about a stupid bitch trying to ruinthe lives of 4-5 guys who she probably doesn't even know.

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/hofstra.rape.case.2.1189029.html

Nassau DA: Hofstra Student Made Up Gang Rape Story
Charges Dropped Against 4 Men Under Arrest; Search For 5th Called Off; DA, Hempstead School Release StatementsNEW YORK (CBS) ―  Click to

The student who alleged she was gang raped by five men inside a Hofstra University dormitory bathroom on Sunday has admitted to making the entire story up, the Nassau County District Attorney's office confirmed on Wednesday night.

Charges against the four men arrested have since been dropped.

Moments ago my office moved to dismiss all charges against four men accused of committing a sexual assault on the campus of Hofstra University.

Late this evening, during the continuation of the Nassau County Police Department's investigation of the allegation, and under questioning by my office's chief trial attorney and chief sex crimes prosecutor, the alleged victim of the sexual assault admitted that the encounter that took place early Sunday morning was consensual.

Following the interview, my office moved quickly to appear before a night court judge to dismiss all charges and request that the judge order the individuals' immediate release.

Nassau County Judge Robert Bruno dismissed the charges and ordered their release. I have launched an immediate criminal investigation into the statements and reports given by the woman in connection with this incident. Further details regarding this investigation will be released at a later time.

The four men, Hofstra student Rondell Bedward, 21, Stalin Felipe, 19, and Jesus L. Ortiz, 19, all of the Bronx; and Kevin R. Taveras, 20, of Brentwood, had been charged with five counts of first-degree rape.

They told CBS 2 HD's Kathryn Brown on Wednesday night they were happy to be released after spending three nights in jail, but did not offer opinions on the accuser. They said they did not know the accuser and had no idea why she would make up such accusations.

Felipe said he's just relieved the entire ordeal is over.

"I'm actually very happy that the truth finally came out," Felipe said. "I'm blessed. My family is here right now to pick us up and I'd just like to thank everybody for your support out there. The truth is finally out.

"I prayed to God on the inside that everything would work out. I actually thought everything was going to go down bad. It feels so horrible when you are innocent and then you are going down like you are guilty.

When asked if he had any reaction to the fact that the woman lied about the incident, Felipe took the high road.

"Basically I have no hard feelings toward her. I don't know why she did it. I don't know her so I don't want to say anything bad about her," Felipe said. "I grew up in an all-women household. I have sisters. All my women are aunts. I respect women. I would never disrespect women, so being accused of that hurt me and my brother, you know? I'm just happy that everything is finally out in the open and we get to go home." (more at link)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:55:56 PM by mamacags »
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline djones520

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
A girl from some college accused 4-5 black and hispanic men of raping her.  When confronted with evidence that it couldn't have happened the way she claimed she recanted.  As far as I know there is no race issue in the story.  Only a story about a stupid bitch trying to ruinthe lives of 4-5 guys who she probably doesn't even know.

And their bitching about this?   :whatever:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »

In the mush that is a Libtard's mind...anytime a Conservative/Republican mentions a person of color...even in a positive light...it's racist.

We're not allowed to even utter a person of color's name under our breath lest we have to wear the scarlet R

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
A girl from some college accused 4-5 black and hispanic men of raping her.  When confronted with evidence that it couldn't have happened the way she claimed she recanted.  As far as I know there is no race issue in the story.  Only a story about a stupid bitch trying to ruinthe lives of 4-5 guys who she probably doesn't even know.

Late this evening, during the continuation of the Nassau County Police Department's investigation of the allegation, and under questioning by my office's chief trial attorney and chief sex crimes prosecutor, the alleged victim of the sexual assault admitted that the encounter that took place early Sunday morning was consensual.

Actually, it appears that she did know them... at least in the Biblical sense.  :evillaugh:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
Women like her make it harder on the women that have been raped actually get believed. :censored: :censored: :censored:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
MarianJack...I know you think you had some kind of victory here but ya know
what? You're a Left Wing kook and the McDonalds people probably laughed at
you when you left.

Congrats there Tiger...you really showed em.  :loser:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »
you when you left.

I think she left out the fact that she is overweight, and them putting the TV on a weight loss infomercial was their slam at her.  :rotf:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »
Having been to Lewiston, one could call it a "city" in only the loosest sense, given that it has a population of probably 35K, tops.  And I've yet to find a McD's there, or anywhere for that matter, which has televisions.  The business model simply doesn't allow for it.  You see, the idea of "fast food" is not only to get your food quickly, but to consume it quickly and LEAVE as well.  Even the colors in McDonalds are chosen with that in mind.  A television would only encourage people to loiter, and thereby reduce turnover, further reducing revenue.

Zero bongs.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »

I eat fast food. I have the girth to show for it too. Still weight 150 lbs less than giganto though. I have never seen a TV in a fast food place besides the Taco Inn in its old location, haven't been to the new one. Has anyone else seen a TV in a McD's??

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
you when you left.

Yeah I agree with you SR.That little victory will mean so much to the rest of the people that asked to have the channel changed back after they stopped laughing behind her back.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 06:20:42 AM »
I eat fast food. I have the girth to show for it too. Still weight 150 lbs less than giganto though. I have never seen a TV in a fast food place besides the Taco Inn in its old location, haven't been to the new one. Has anyone else seen a TV in a McD's??

Yes, and in a Burger King, but I can't remember where they were.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »

14. Our Applebee's always has at least two of their eight sets tuned to Fox News.

My husband got his ass kicked and shown the door of a local business (and told to never come back) for mouthing off about Obama in the midst of a group of real men.

Fixorated
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »
How pitiful does your life have to be to complain about what's on the TV at McDonald's?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
Having been to Lewiston, one could call it a "city" in only the loosest sense, given that it has a population of probably 35K, tops.  And I've yet to find a McD's there, or anywhere for that matter, which has televisions.  The business model simply doesn't allow for it.  You see, the idea of "fast food" is not only to get your food quickly, but to consume it quickly and LEAVE as well.  Even the colors in McDonalds are chosen with that in mind.  A television would only encourage people to loiter, and thereby reduce turnover, further reducing revenue.

Zero bongs.

Our local McDonalds in the Socialist Hellhole called Vermont has a nice flat screen up high enough you can't change the channel.  Ironically, it's tuned to Fox.  I half expect to read about this one someday.   :-)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »
I'm gonna have to make the trip to VT just to see that.  Does it get messy in there with all the exploding liberal heads?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
How pitiful does your life have to be to complain about what's on the TV at McDonald's?

Pretty pitiful when the very clothes you wear and places you shop are political decisions.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed that their bouncy stories always seem to occur in places they're supposed to be boycotting, or are too pure to patronize?

Great, Moonbeam...you got them to change the channel. And you added to McDonald's bottom line while you did it.

Net/net, a win for the lifestyle you moonbats hate.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.