Author Topic: Is it time for the progressives to consider a primary challenger to Obama in 201  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
grahamhgreen  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-17-09 11:23 AM
Original message
Is it time for the progressives to consider a primary challenger to Obama in 2012?

Is it time for the progressives to consider a primary challenger to Obama in 2012?

Now that it looks like he may give in to corporate interests on health-care, is it time for progressives and liberals to consider the possibility of running a primary challenger to the president in 2012? Most of our other issues have been washed over already.

This might help separate out our philosophy from that of the corporate controlled dems.

That being (if I may be so bold):

Universal health care for every American.
Ending poverty and homelessness.
Out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Ending wars for profit.
Prosecuting crimes committed under the previous administration - including possible war crimes.
Returning manufacturing and other outsourced jobs to the USA.
Renewable/unlimited energy.
End global warming.
Environment over profits.
Ending rendition and torture.
Closing Gitmo.
Breaking up monopolistic corporations and banks.
etc......

Right now, if health care fails because Obama refused to push for single-payer or national health, the credit will be given by the media to the right wing PR firms & deathers for killing the bill, when the real reason it may fail is because Obama refuses to motivate and mobilize the core people who put him in the White House - the progressive wing of the Democratic party.

It may be time to start some grumbling about a primary challenger in order to encourage Obama to move back to his roots.

He is, after all, essentially a mediator, and will want to placate us by adopting some of our positions to quell the movement, I would hope.

If not, we will let the American people know that there are those of us who know the only way we can truly move forward is by standing up to, not caving in to, corporate interests.

Is it time to consider such an option?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6326447

:lmao: :lmao:

timeforpeace  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-17-09 12:30 PM
Response to Reply #1
36. Are you suggesting this because he is black? Isn't it racist to oppose him?

Now that is funny.

grahamhgreen  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-17-09 02:15 PM
Response to Reply #10
45. Simple. A no-brainer. Go back to the 91% top tax rate of Eisenhower, release

drug possession prisoners. Stop funding wars for profit, etc.

Use the money saved to start a dole system similar what is used in the enlightened social democracies of Europe and Australasia.

It is a fault of capitalism that in any capitalist system there will be unemployment.

Therefore, these people will either go hungry or be forced to commit crimes, unless we provide a stipend for them.

Therefore, since it costs $50,000+- to keep someone in jail for a year, it is cheaper for all of us to provide these people with a small stipend of say $12,000 a year.

Thus ending poverty - it's a no-brainer!

Is 12k a living wage?  :mental:

DeadEyeDyck  (247 posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Aug-17-09 11:46 AM
Response to Original message
27. and what message would that send to the world

when we replace the president who has won with the biggest majority since FDR?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
What the fudge?

.....when we replace the president who has won with the biggest majority since FDR?

0bama won the White House in 2008 by about the same margin George Bush won the White House in 2004.

Landslides since FDR:

Eisenhower (R) in 1952
Eisenhower (R) in 1956
Johnson (D) in 1964
Nixon (R) in 1972
Reagan (R) in 1980
Reagan (R) in 1984
Bush (R) in 1988

I don't see Pa Kettle on that list.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
What the fudge?

0bama won the White House in 2008 by about the same margin George Bush won the White House in 2004.

Landslides since FDR:

Eisenhower (R) in 1952
Eisenhower (R) in 1956
Johnson (D) in 1964
Nixon (R) in 1972
Reagan (R) in 1980
Reagan (R) in 1984
Bush (R) in 1988

But * stole the election remember? so that doesn't count  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
What, no mention of fixing gay marriage?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator

Yeah, yeah.

In 2000, George Bush probably actually won the popular vote, but a dead vote is as good as a live vote, and multiple votes by one person count as multiple votes, and so the numbers didn't add up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a

Hell, some DUmmies think that Reagan and Nixon stole their elections too.  I think I saw TIA try to prove that once. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Hell, some DUmmies think that Reagan and Nixon stole their elections too.  I think I saw TIA try to prove that once. :-)

There was one primitive one time--not the Tits-in-Ass primitive, though--who tried to "prove" that Mundane "almost" won Georgia in 1984.

Yeah, right.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
We could make a small fortune by printing up "Dean/Kucinich 2012" bumper stickers right now.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
We could make a small fortune by printing up "Dean/Kucinich 2012" bumper stickers right now.

Pedro Picasso:

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-17-09 11:37 AM
Response to Original message

19. Is it time for you to start thinking in the here and now, and not 2012?

Dear lord, man, come down off the ledge. It hasn't even been a year yet!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.

Chicken wire and cinder blocks don't always work out right.  :lmao:

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Yeah, yeah.

In 2000, George Bush probably actually won the popular vote, but a dead vote is as good as a live vote, and multiple votes by one person count as multiple votes, and so the numbers didn't add up.

We will never know the real count. I am convinced that Bush won though.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)

Paid for by who?

Ending poverty and homelessness.

Will 12K a year do it?

Out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

OKay, why not?

Ending wars for profit.

When have we ever made a profit?

Prosecuting crimes committed under the previous administration - including possible war crimes.

You realize the "previous regime" would be Obama right?

Returning manufacturing and other outsourced jobs to the USA.

and how will you do that?? make it tax free? cut all those regulations?

Renewable/unlimited energy.

lol. That does not even exist except with nuke power

End global warming.

We did that 12 years ago, now we going into an ice age

Environment over profits.

and exactly how does that bring "manufacturing" jobs back??

Ending rendition and torture.

More Obama crimes!!

Closing Gitmo.

Those terrorists can live with you

Breaking up monopolistic corporations and banks.

and government??
etc......

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
So much crazy in so little space

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Is 12k a living wage?

No, but it seems like a fortune to DUmmy grahamhgreen.
He can't quite do the math, but figures it would finance a
hell of a stash.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

What the fudge?

Landslides since FDR:

Eisenhower (R) in 1952
Eisenhower (R) in 1956
Johnson (D) in 1964
Nixon (R) in 1972
Reagan (R) in 1980
Reagan (R) in 1984
Bush (R) in 1988

I'm sure the idiot is looking at total votes cast for him, not what they represent as a percentage of the participating electorate.  A typically simple-minded attempt to lie through misuse of an out-of-context fact. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
We could make DUmmies heads explode by printing up "Cheney/Bush" 2012" bumper stickers right now.

FIXED
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Is it time for the progressives to consider a primary challenger to Obama in 2012

This is a simply brilliant idea.

The more discord you sow in your own ranks the better.

It siphons votes away from Bambi which makes it more likely that whatever lame duck the RINO party nominates this time will have a chance of winning the race.

Offline Airwolf

FIXED

Oh no, we need a Rove/Palin 2012 sticker
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline sofa king

Paid for by who?

haven't you been reading at dummyland?  not only does free-healthcare-for-all pay for itself, it actually saves us money!

i don't quite know how adding millions of uninsured and opening the floodgate for every citizen (or not) to run to a doctor over every hangnail or sad thought will not bankrupt those of us who actually contribute to society, but the dummys swear it is true.

and they must know.  i read every day how much smarter than the rest of us they are.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Smarter than we are but yet they all dound depressed, mdrug adled and can't keep jobs

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
There's a site called progressiveindependent that's primarily a collection of primitives who were tossed off the island.  They're looney as can be, but I will give them credit for being true to their beliefs and not selling them down the river, unlike what the primitives have done since Jan 20th (and prior).  Skin's island has become little more than "What did Dear Leader tell us to believe today?"

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
There's a site called progressiveindependent that's primarily a collection of primitives who were tossed off the island.  They're looney as can be, but I will give them credit for being true to their beliefs and not selling them down the river, unlike what the primitives have done since Jan 20th (and prior).  Skin's island has become little more than "What did Dear Leader tell us to believe today?"

As I remember it, DU was originally started to be either a mouthpiece for the Democrats or a place where the crazier internet democrat denizens could be contained, depending on how you see the situation.

As can be expected - they are required to tow the party line no matter how inane, contradictory or outright ridiculous it may be. Many of the real extremists and lunatics have been deemed hostile to the party line and sent on their merry way. It was a group like this that founded PI.

Offline WMD Owl

I think if the pressure is maintained at the current level in the House the "co-op" won't make it.  The Hardcore Lefty Committee Chairmen won't let it--and Pelosi won't let it-- it will be "Public Option" or nothing at all out of the House.

Let the Senate pass the "Co-Op" and then it will be the Conference Committee from Hell.   :fuelfire:

No way anything will pass.  And the Democrats will be looking to blame someone--so you have a possible mutiny against Hoyer and Pelosi.

The more infighting among Demo-rats, the less damage they can do.  Sit back and enjoy the show, because nobody can committ political suicide better than a Demo-rat.  :popcorn:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
WMD, you're going to LOVE the DUmp. Man, as long as I've known you, this is going to be comic relief for you. These people are 1/10th stupider than RobertN.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
WMD, you're going to LOVE the DUmp. Man, as long as I've known you, this is going to be comic relief for you. These people are 1/10th stupider than RobertN.

I have decided to start my own online political party