Author Topic: I am SO pissed...our local paper published a database on salaries (greenbriar)  (Read 8267 times)

Offline Miss Mia

greenbriar  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 12:52 PM
Original message
I am SO pissed...our local paper published a database on salaries and INCLUDED names ect...

I understand that those of us in public service lose some of our privacy

I understand that Freedom of information is necessary,

BUT I feel like I have been violated

both my husband and I have had our lives violated today.. I think the better way to have done this is to list positions and salaries NOT names. In this day of high crime, high unemployment and identity theft, this was in very poor taste.

BrklynLiberal  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 12:54 PM
Response to Original message
1. I cannot believe that is legal! How did they get this info?

What if it is not accurate?
Get a lawyer..or call the ACLU

Sun Aug-17-08 12:54 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. it is accurate except for the fact we haven't voted on the new teaching contract

so our salaries will go even higher

Clark2008  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 01:03 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. It's perfectly legal.

All tax-paid salaries are subject to the open-records law of most (I won't say all, that might not be true) states.

When I was a reporter, our newspaper did this, as well. I'm sorry the OP feels violated, but the fact remains that those who are paid by the citizens are accountable to the citizens who pay their salaries.

Karenina  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 12:56 PM
3. It's called TRANSPARENCY.

Although I agree attaching names is a bit much.

Sun Aug-17-08 12:57 PM
Response to Reply #3
4. They should have just listed jobs and numbers NOT our names

I am a teacher

They could have just published the salary schedule ...it is transparent you can find it on the districts web site plain as day

but

our names and buildings??? BULLSHIT

Newsjock  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 12:59 PM
5. Newspapers are doing this all over the country

To please the 'conservatives' who want to rail against those 'high-priced' state employees sucking their wallets dry. They seem to forget that those very same state workers are those who (used to) subscribe to the paper and pay their bills.

Gannett and McClatchy are the two biggest offenders. If you want to read thousands of interesting comments, try looking at The Sacramento Bee, http://sacbee.com, and The Olympian, http://theolympian.com, where state workers are quite justifiably upset and appear to be cancelling the newspaper in large numbers. And the companies do this in capital cities, too.

The modus operandi is exactly the same in each city where this is happening. I am led to believe that this is not at all by accident.

Clark2008  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 01:05 PM
Response to Reply #5
7. Uh... no.

They are doing it because they can (it's part of a state's Sunshine Law) and because it does sell newspapers.

It has nothing to do with conservatives and everything to do with accountability.

My newspaper did this years ago when I was a working journalist and I'm certainly no conservative.

GreenInNC  Donating Member  (845 posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 01:07 PM
8. perfectly legal

Our paper does it for all school and government employees and has an online, searchable data base of their web page.

I expect it to get more replies with Greenbriar's huffing and puffing over this INJUSTICE!
:wink:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:07:17 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I work for the NYS government.  Someone posted the salaries of every employee of the NYS government on some website whose name I can't remember.  We, where I work, started looking up the senior management's names to see what they're making.  I haven't seen where I am on that list, because some of my co-workers have mentioned that their names aren't on that list.  Am I upset?  Well, it is a public record.  I'll get over it.

The greedy thorn primitive should do the same, because chances are that her salary is also a matter of public record.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Miss Mia

I work for the NYS government.  Someone posted the salaries of every employee of the NYS government on some website whose name I can't remember.  We, where I work, started looking up the senior management's names to see what they're making.  I haven't seen where I am on that list, because some of my co-workers have mentioned that their names aren't on that list.  Am I upset?  Well, it is a public record.  I'll get over it.

The greedy thorn primitive should do the same, because chances are that her salary is also a matter of public record.

She's a school teacher, her salary is public record.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
I seem to remember some time back when some newspapers printed the names and addresses of concealed carry permit holders, of course the DUmmies were all for it....hypocrisy thy name is DU.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:27:17 PM by Bondai »

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Lord Undies

George W. Bush - President - United States of America - $400,000.00 annual salary (2001- ?)

www.LordUndies.com

Feel better, greenbuttho?  He's a much better person than you and his salary is public info too.

Offline Miss Mia

I seem to remember so time back when some newspapers printed the names and addresses of concealed carry permit holders, of course the DUmmies were all for it....hypocrisy thy name is DU.

Someone mentions that, though there's no reply to him yet

Oeditpus Rex  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 01:25 PM
Response to Reply #5
19. How would you explain newspapers that publish CCW lists?

Many do, especially in small towns. I was city editor of one, and I made it quite clear to the editor that I was against the annual practice. Running stories about who's packing heat isn't exactly pleasing conservatives. It just unnecessarily violates privacy, IMO.

Newspapers do things like this because it makes them look like watchdogs, when they're really just dogs who dig up poorly hidden bones.

I've heard far too many editors and reporters fall back on "the public's right to know." That's all well and good, but there must also be a need for the public to know.
Stink Eye

Offline Miss Mia

lonestarnot  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sun Aug-17-08 01:17 PM
15. So which are you, shocked or awed?

20. Pissed

Edited on Sun Aug-17-08 01:30 PM by greenbriar
but I learned I was in the top 12 in my building...

:whatever:
Stink Eye

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Whatever they are paying her it is a waste.

Not for her politics but for her stupidity at not knowing the salary of every teacher employed by a school district was subject to a freedom of information act request.

That is how it is here in NY and evidently where she is too.

From this and other things she has posted it is clear that she is no intellectual so maybe she doesn`t want it known how much a usesless drag on a school budget she is.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Now hold on a minute, didn't the greedy thorn primitive rant and rave about how little money she's making? I seem to recall several financial threads she either started or participated in claiming near poverty. Now she's pissed that everyone knows how much they are paying for her to take up space?

She should just STFU. This will be a moot point when that cabana boy from the cruise line sweeps her size 14 ass off her feet.

Check this out - http://www.kansas.com/800/story/495800.html

I followed the DUmmie link. You have to know the employee's first and last name to search for their salary.  :whatever: You can just hit "search" and see the entire list but you'd have to pretty motivated I guess (there are over 4000 names). Most people would see that first screen and think, "oh, I need to know their name to find out...."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:40:12 PM by DixieBelle »
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

Now hold on a minute, didn't the greedy thorn primitive rant and rave about how little money she's making? I seem to recall several financial threads she either started or participated in claiming near poverty. Now she's pissed that everyone knows how much they are paying for her to take up space?

She should just STFU. This will be a moot point when that cabana boy from the cruise line sweeps her size 14 ass off her feet.

I followed the DUmmie link. You have to know the employee's first and last name to search for their salary.  :whatever: You can just hit "search" and see the entire list but you'd have to pretty motivated I guess (there are over 4000 names). Most people would see that first screen and think, "oh, I need to know their name to find out...."

Ahem...

Sun Aug-17-08 02:22 PM
Response to Reply #33
37. and there is the point!!! My name and exact building is now posted for all

it is all right here

www.wichitaeagle.com

Teacher

57,491.00 a year

IF that was all that was posted, I would not care...but My full legal name AND exact building is also there. That makes it scary

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=3812453&mesg_id=3812907
Stink Eye

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
greenbriar  (1000+ posts)      Sun Aug-17-08 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #17
30. put your money where your mouth is....Name, Place of work and Salary please
 As I have said...

I have NO problem with the salary schedule being published

but to put my name and my building in the paper puts ME at risk

Gee...conceited much?  :whatever: They aren't giving out your home address. Is is a state secret that you work for the school system?

And here post later on says a teacher makes 57k - I assume she's referring to herself. That's not a bad salary at all. I'm sure the cost of living in Kansas is much lower than say San Fransisco or D.C.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator

Ahem...

Sun Aug-17-08 02:22 PM
Response to Reply #33
37. and there is the point!!! My name and exact building is now posted for all

it is all right here

www.wichitaeagle.com

Teacher

57,491.00 a year

IF that was all that was posted, I would not care...but My full legal name AND exact building is also there. That makes it scary

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=3812453&mesg_id=3812907

Yes, I saw that. Doesn't change what I said though.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

greenbriar  (1000+ posts)      Sun Aug-17-08 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #17
 As I have said...

At risk of what, exactly, you dizzy over-dramatic witch?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
greenbriar  (1000+ posts)      Sun Aug-17-08 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #17
 As I have said...

At risk of what, exactly, you dizzy over-dramatic witch?

At risk that she will be stalked by other teachers who makes less who will then steal her precious bodily fluids.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

Yes, I saw that. Doesn't change what I said though.

Doesn't change it one bit.  I'll remember how much she makes next time she's bitching about how poor she is.   :whatever:
Stink Eye

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
Making that much in Kansas no less!

Offline Miss Mia

Making that much in Kansas no less!

And her husband works as well, so it's a two income family. 

Stink Eye

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
She is closing in on $60,000 a year to spread LIBERAL BS and she is complaining? She needs to STFU.. :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Miss Mia

She is closing in on $60,000 a year to spread LIBERAL BS and she is complaining? She needs to STFU.. :mental:

Hasn't she said she teaches math?  Or more appropriately "teaches" math?
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator

There's two Kansas school teachers on Skins's island, if not more.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher, the "Proud2BLib" primitive, teaches mathematics (and possibly other subjects) to disadvantaged students near Kansas City, Kansas, up in the northeastern part of Kansas.

The greedy thorn primitive, the "greenbriar" primitive, teaches social studies to 8th graders in or near Wichita, Kansas, down at the south-central part of the state.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher is 55 years old; this teacher is circa 40-45 years old, probably closer to 40.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher has a grimacing, Hate-filled, angry, bitter countenance; this teacher is somewhat, uh, pudgy, but bears a rather neutral demeanor.

Of the two, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher is the worst of the lot.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

There's two Kansas school teachers on Skins's island, if not more.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher, the "Proud2BLib" primitive, teaches mathematics (and possibly other subjects) to disadvantaged students near Kansas City, Kansas, up in the northeastern part of Kansas.

The greedy thorn primitive, the "greenbriar" primitive, teaches social studies to 8th graders in or near Wichita, Kansas, down at the south-central part of the state.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher is 55 years old; this teacher is circa 40-45 years old, probably closer to 40.

The dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher has a grimacing, Hate-filled, angry, bitter countenance; this teacher is somewhat, uh, pudgy, but bears a rather neutral demeanor.

Of the two, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher is the worst of the lot.

Thanks for the clarification. 
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Thanks for the clarification. 

I had a problem, some time in 2006, 2007, over at our old home--I think this had to do with the primitives talking about the shootings at Virginia Tech--after a few primitives frankly admitted that all black people look alike to them.

Suddenly all the primitives started looking alike to me.

I had to break out of it, though--academic interest--and began to differentiate between them with more sharpness than I had before (remember how I mixed up the mountain man primitive "ThomWVA" and the lilliputian tom thumb primitive "ThomCat").  It's difficult to do, keeping them separate, given the unanimity with which the primiitives think.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Peter3_1

Remember that school teaching is a part time job. At least here in NY, teachers are required to be at their jobs from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm (prefered that they get there 30 min early, and leave 30 min after last bell), with a 50 min. lunch and at least one 50 min  study hall there are a total of 8 periods a day of 50 min. each. SO THE WORK DAY is about 6 hours long. In NY the school year is 183 days long. 183 days a year times 6 is 1098 hours per work year, and MANY (NOT all ) make damned sure that's ALL in the public record .

Compared to the private sector, they work up to 900 hours a year LESS !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:53:43 PM by Peter3_1 »

Offline MrsSmith

Remember that school teaching is a part time job. At least here in NY, teachers are required to be at their jobs from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm (prefered that they get there 30 min early, and leave 30 min after last bell), with a 50 min. lunch and at least one 50 min  study hall there are a total of 8 periods a day of 50 min. each. SO THE WORK DAY is about 6 hours long. In NY the school year is 183 days long. 183 days a year times 6 is 1098 hours per work year, and MANY (NOT all ) make damned sure that's ALL in the public record .

Compared to the private sector, they work up to 900 hours a year LESS !
To be fair, most teachers do a lot of extra work, planning, grading, etc.  They also spend some of the summer getting educational credits.  However, they do NOT work the hours a normal employee works.

That said, Mr Smith teaches at a college...and his base salary is a good bit less than the OP.  He does work a lot of extra hours to earn more.  (It ends up not being real helpful, though, as his ex just took most of it to pay their kid's college bill.)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
greenbriar  (1000+ posts)      Sun Aug-17-08 03:16 PMResponse to Reply #17 30. put your money where your mouth is....Name, Place of work and Salary please  As I have said...I have NO problem with the salary schedule being publishedbut to put my name and my building in the paper puts ME at risk
Gee...conceited much?  :whatever: They aren't giving out your home address. Is is a state secret that you work for the school system? And here post later on says a teacher makes 57k - I assume she's referring to herself. That's not a bad salary at all. I'm sure the cost of living in Kansas is much lower than say San Fransisco or D.C.

She's a COVERT teacher!  The ROOOOOVE leaked this to silense her!!!111oneone!!!
/moonbat mode   :-)
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980