Author Topic: OK, Viruses?  (Read 7078 times)

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
OK, Viruses?
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
My Computer Automation viruses detector pinged two viruses this afternoon. It say's several of the WUWEB.Dll files has a Win32-HAEOF virus and has quarantine them.

Any thoughts, ideas, how do I un-inflect them, and I just delete them?  There is some strangeness, slow running for the most part.

Offline thundley4

Re: OK, Viruses?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
My Computer Automation viruses detector pinged two viruses this afternoon. It say's several of the WUWEB.Dll files has a Win32-HAEOF virus and has quarantine them.

Any thoughts, ideas, how do I un-inflect them, and I just delete them?  There is some strangeness, slow running for the most part.

It might be a "false positive". 

http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficeforum/showthread.php?p=21591
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/False-Positive-with-CA-and-Windows-Update

It looks like there was a problem caused by one of the latest updates from CA.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
Spy bot did not ping. I guess I best update and run it.

Thank you for the timely come back.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
Did CA quarantine the files ?  That could be a reason for the computer running slow. dll files are shared by diferent programs, but I think those are tied to Windows update.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »
Get a free copy of malwarebytes.  It's not resident, and you run it on command.  I use it as a back up to my primary.  It finds things the primary misses.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
Try Avast.

Get rid of McAfee. Use the McAfee Consumer Removal tool online to clean all the program out.

google it.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
Yes they where Quarantined. Spybot did not find anything.

Since this: I have had two CA updates and a MS update. I am not getting any alarm, but there have been some little quirks.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
Yes they where Quarantined. Spybot did not find anything.

Since this: I have had two CA updates and a MS update. I am not getting any alarm, but there have been some little quirks.

Definitely a false alarm. I had six individuals call in over the last two days concerning this pop-up alert with CA.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:58 PM »
Spybot S&D will not always find viruses. I second the Malwarebytes and Avast!. You may need to start up in safe mode to remove any malware/ viruses. McAffee is a resource hog and having to pay for it is ridiculous for how good it is. Hell, AVG is better than McAffee and it's lame any more.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
I use Malwarebytes, but not Avast. I find Avast freaks out too much. If I have a really bad problem I'll run Trend Micro.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »
I use Malwarebytes, but not Avast. I find Avast freaks out too much. If I have a really bad problem I'll run Trend Micro.

I just avoid pron sites and don't worry about it.  :lmao:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
I just avoid pron sites and don't worry about it.  :lmao:

Whut, whuts pron?   :uhsure:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline DUtroll

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »
Going forward, I would recommend ESET NOD32. They push out signature updates more regularly than anyone else I have seen. I was recently testing AV vendors and NOD32 was the only solution to detect new Fragus .jar files. Depending on your platform they have 32 and 64 bit options. It's also less resource intensive than Kaspersky, Norton, and McCrappafee.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:51:04 PM by DUtroll »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »
I forget what it was that I didn't like about NOD32, but I've been with Avast! for over a year now and have remained virus free. I do peek into my .jar files every so often and usually delete everything in there.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DUtroll

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
I forget what it was that I didn't like about NOD32, but I've been with Avast! for over a year now and have remained virus free. I do peek into my .jar files every so often and usually delete everything in there.

If you don't detect the virus does it mean you are virus free?  :mental:

I can't speak for NOD32's prior version. I just started using it a few weeks ago following some testing at work. We decided to go with NOD32 Enterprise Edition. I also tested out the personal version on two of my boxes and have migrated a few friends over. AV Comparatives recently found that NOD32 detected 97% of threats where areas Avast professional picked up about 71% I believe, although I don't read much into those tests. Personally, I have never worked with Avast so I can't really speak for it. I am more interested in NOD's heuristic capabilities, we had a few modified Fragus .jars - and NOD32 picked them up. They got right past Kaspersky, Norton, and Panda. My best recommendation is to use anything BUT Norton.

The most important thing for home users is that they are using an up to date AV product - many people don't even bother.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:10:05 PM by DUtroll »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
I don't trust any anti-virus software.

I use a process viewer to monitor what's running on the system at any given time , and an exploit sweeper like hijackthis to pick up other things.