Author Topic: How do I clean out this file?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline jinxmchue

How do I clean out this file?
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
I've got almost 1GB of stuff in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp.  Whenever I clean-up temp files on the computer, that file is not cleaned out.  Can I just clean it out myself?

Offline thundley4

Re: How do I clean out this file?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
Pretty much everything in the temp files can be deleted, unless it's something currently being used, in which case windows won't let you delete it.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
Pretty much everything in the temp files can be deleted, unless it's something currently being used, in which case windows won't let you delete it.

So I can select all and trash it, then.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »
AFAIK, the temp files just hold cookies, your browser history and a few other odds and ends .

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »
the Temp directory can hold such as installation files and other stuff. I had a lady that I teched for and I cleaned out her temp directory  and it deleted some critical files for MS Office. Somehow, it got installed there (?!?!?!?) Typically, the Temp directory doesn't hold much of anything that's critical.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
the Temp directory can hold such as installation files and other stuff. I had a lady that I teched for and I cleaned out her temp directory  and it deleted some critical files for MS Office. Somehow, it got installed there (?!?!?!?) Typically, the Temp directory doesn't hold much of anything that's critical.

I wonder if Jinx has been back since deleting those files?  I did empty mine and did a restart before saying it was okay to do so.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
Get CCleaner (CrapCleaner free version) do the DOD wipe.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.