Author Topic: "I truly do not understand this...help me out, here! " (CTyankee)  (Read 446 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

"I truly do not understand this...help me out, here! " (CTyankee)
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
 :o

link

::)

CTyankee  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-09-11 03:10 PM
Original message
I truly do not understand this...help me out, here!
 Today, our garage mechanic, a great guy in many ways, was complaining about having to pay all of his state taxes. I was stunned. He has 5 grandchildren ranging in age from 6 months to 13 years old and they are all covered under CT's Husky medical insurance for kids who do not have private insurance. His son and daughter both work for him at his garage and his small business can't afford health insurance coverage. She has 4 boys and he has a little girl.

I don't understand this! How can he talk this way about paying taxes when his own flesh and blood are benefitting from state programs!

I haven't said anything but if I hear this again, I will...nicely...tell him I don't mind paying my state taxes when I "think of the children that those taxes help..."

Refresh | +5 Recommendations

Offline jukin

Re: "I truly do not understand this...help me out, here! " (CTyankee)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
ZERO bong
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
That reminds me.

Has anyone noticed if the Polaroid Kid, Pedro Picasso, the Atman primitive, an occupant of Connecticut, has whined about taxes yet?

If he hasn't, he will.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
You know .... I have a really, really, REALLY great mechanic who works on all our vehicles.  Damned if I know his name though.  Wonder if he even has kids.  Hell I don't even know if he's married.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Is this CTYankee's home garage?  And if so, how big of a piece of crap is that thing that you need a regular mechanic? 
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline sybilll

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
This one is easy.  It's because you have succeeded in dumbing down America.  You have purposely assigned feel-good names to all of your redistribution of wealth programs.  Nowadays, when you tell someone the funding source is from "the government", they don't even understand that that is actually THEIR taxes. 
~Sorry, in case you cannot tell, this is one of my pet peeves. 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
CTyankee  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-09-11 03:10 PM
Original message
I truly do not understand this...help me out, here!
 Today, our garage mechanic, a great guy in many ways, was complaining about having to pay all of his state taxes.
>snip<
Does not understand that the magnitude of taxes the guy pays, prevents growth.
The business taxes must be horrendous.
Dummie, CT.
If his taxes where lower, he could afford to offer a health insurance option.
He might even be able to pay more in wages.
He might even buy new equipment.
He might even be able to HIRE someone.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
I don't understand this! How can he talk this way about paying taxes when his own flesh and blood are benefitting from state programs!

I haven't said anything but if I hear this again, I will...nicely...tell him I don't mind paying my state taxes when I "think of the children that those taxes help..."

Then pay more, you greedy, selfish bastard! If you're able to eat, you're not paying your fair share.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Hmm

Connecticut's State and Local Tax Burden Third-Highest in Nation
Connecticut's 2009 state and local tax burden of 12.0% of income stands well above the national average of 9.8%. Connecticut's tax burden has increased overall from 10.9% (13th nationally) in 1977 to 12.0% (3rd nationally) in 2009. Connecticut taxpayers pay $4,091 per capita in state and local taxes.

Connecticut’s 2011 Business Tax Climate Ranks 47th
Connecticut ranks 47th in the Tax Foundation's State Business Tax Climate Index. The Index compares the states in five areas of taxation that impact business: corporate taxes; individual income taxes; sales taxes; unemployment insurance taxes; and taxes on property, including residential and commercial property. Neighboring states rank as follows: New York (50th), Massachusetts (32nd), New Hampshire (7th), Vermont (38th) and Rhode Island (42nd).

Connecticut's Individual Income Tax System
Connecticut's personal income tax system consists of three separate brackets with a top rate of 6.5% kicking in at an income level of $500,000. That top rate ranks 19th highest among states levying an individual income tax. In 2009, state-level individual income tax collections were $1,816 per person, which ranked second-highest nationally.

Connecticut Sales and Excise Taxes
Connecticut levies a 6% general sales or use tax on consumers, above the national median of 5.85%.  In 2007 combined state and local general and selective sales tax collections were $1,424 per person, which ranked 21st highest nationally. Connecticut's gasoline tax stands at 41.9 cents per gallon (4th highest nationally), while its cigarette tax stands at $3.00 per pack of twenty (2nd highest). Additionally, Connecticut levies a 5.8% gross receipts earnings tax on oil companies, which is collected at wholesale. The sales tax was adopted in 1947, the gasoline tax in 1921 and the cigarette tax in 1935.

Connecticut Property Taxes Rank Among the Nation's Highest
Connecticut's local governments collected $2,167.29 per capita in property taxes during fiscal year 2006, which is the latest year available from the Census Bureau. Connecticut is one of the 13 states that collect no state-level property taxes. Its property tax collections per capita rank 2nd highest nationally, behind only New Jersey.

"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
I don't want a mechanic who has time to shoot the breeze with customers about taxes.
But of course bouncy conversations never happened.