Author Topic: Wisconsin Senate GOP Votes to Strip State Workers of Collective Bargaining  (Read 12694 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Nah, I just wanted to use a Reagan quote in an non-conservative argument.
That's about it. I'm curious though, why is collective bargaining bad?

Even regressive idol Franklin Delano Roosevelt was against public sector unions. Why? Because we the taxpayers are their boss and if they skimp out, it effects everyone.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Bertram

I just think that if you want to get rid of unions, then attempt to do that, instead of making the unions inefficient.
I think I got it now. The problem is that the Government protects groups and entities instead of individuals.

Offline formerlurker

I just think that if you want to get rid of unions, then attempt to do that, instead of making the unions inefficient.

The difference being?   

For the record, WI did not try to get rid of unions -- just their stranglehold over the state's budget.   Health insurance premiums and pensions plans being completely unsustainable, with the state having absolutely no way to mitigate that as "collective bargaining" is really quite the scam isn't it.   Sure, we'll give up the cadillac health insurance plans..... if you give us something else of equal value.

Unions have done this to themselves. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I think I got it now. The problem is that the Government protects groups and entities instead of individuals.

Unions are already inefficient.  They promote greed, sloth, and class warfare.

The Government, in particular the federal government protects unions--and they have since the time of FDR.  Read your history on the New Deal and the NLRB.

Historical FAIL, for which you earn ANOTHER bitchslap.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Unions are already inefficient.  They promote greed, sloth, and class warfare...

...and collectivism, which has been an utter FAILURE since the beginning of time.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline zeitgeist

The difference being?   

For the record, WI did not try to get rid of unions -- just their stranglehold over the state's budget.   Health insurance premiums and pensions plans being completely unsustainable, with the state having absolutely no way to mitigate that as "collective bargaining" is really quite the scam isn't it.   Sure, we'll give up the cadillac health insurance plans..... if you give us something else of equal value.

Unions have done this to themselves. 

Yes, the unions are guilty of killing the goose which laid the golden egg.  It is happening everywhere.  I get so tired of reading how the council cannot reduce this or that because of the union bargaining agreement.  It is little more than extortion by another name.

Here in P_town we have three ambulances but will only be able to afford to run one and my have to close at least one station.  But how about using volunteers you ask?  Nah uh, would violate the union contract.  Then too we have the police detail flaggers.  Yup, there are auxillary officers who get a pension ( one case over $100K ) and still can direct traffic to the toon of an additional 49k per year.  And when the city did go to civilian flaggers the cops won the case and may well get 'back pay' for not working. 

And yet some wonder why public unions are getting a bad reputation?   

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

Zeit--here's another one for you:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110318/GJNEWS_01/703189905

Dover fire chief could get two paychecks: $91g salary plus $70g retirement

BY Roni Reino
rreino@fosters.com
Friday, March 18, 2011

DOVER — Fire Chief Perry Plummer would be eligible for an estimated $70,000 pension while still receiving a $90,606 salary if his nomination for director of the Division of Fire Standards and Training and Emergency Medical Services for the state Department of Safety is approved at the end of this month.

Gov. John Lynch and the New Hampshire Fire Standards and Training Commission recently endorsed Plummer for the position. A vote to confirm Plummer's nomination is slated for March 30 with the Executive Council.

City Manager Mike Joyal said according to Plummer's contract, if he retires, he is entitled to up to no more than 20 days of accrued vacation leave at full pay. He is also entitled to lifetime health and dental insurance, of which 80 percent will be paid by the city. Plummer agreed to waive future pay increases as part of the contract agreement. He has not currently given a notice of retirement.

As part of the contract agreement, if he was terminated "without cause," Plummer would be eligible for six months of pay in addition to the accrued vacation time.

If Plummer retires, he may apply to collect his pension for working as state employee for the last 25 years, which Plummer said he believes to be worth about $70,000.

"As far as my buyout, I don't have a huge buyout package," he said. "The only thing I have is any unused vacation. There is less than a year's worth of vacation left."

Plummer said last year, he cashed in about eight or nine weeks of unused vacation time.

He has worked with the Dover Fire and Rescue Department since 1986.
====================================================================

And they wonder why there's backlash.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

BY Roni Reino
rreino@fosters.com
Friday, March 18, 2011

DOVER — Fire Chief Perry Plummer would be eligible for an estimated $70,000 pension while still receiving a $90,606 salary if his nomination for director of the Division of Fire Standards and Training and Emergency Medical Services for the state Department of Safety is approved at the end of this month.

Gov. John Lynch and the New Hampshire Fire Standards and Training Commission recently endorsed Plummer for the position. A vote to confirm Plummer's nomination is slated for March 30 with the Executive Council.

City Manager Mike Joyal said according to Plummer's contract, if he retires, he is entitled to up to no more than 20 days of accrued vacation leave at full pay. He is also entitled to lifetime health and dental insurance, of which 80 percent will be paid by the city. Plummer agreed to waive future pay increases as part of the contract agreement. He has not currently given a notice of retirement.

As part of the contract agreement, if he was terminated "without cause," Plummer would be eligible for six months of pay in addition to the accrued vacation time.

If Plummer retires, he may apply to collect his pension for working as state employee for the last 25 years, which Plummer said he believes to be worth about $70,000.

"As far as my buyout, I don't have a huge buyout package," he said. "The only thing I have is any unused vacation. There is less than a year's worth of vacation left."

Plummer said last year, he cashed in about eight or nine weeks of unused vacation time.

Liberals are for limiting executive's pay and retirement pensions, maybe it's time to limit public employee pay and pensions.

Offline Bertram

Unions are already inefficient.  They promote greed, sloth, and class warfare.

The Government, in particular the federal government protects unions--and they have since the time of FDR.  Read your history on the New Deal and the NLRB.

Historical FAIL, for which you earn ANOTHER bitchslap.

I didn't historical fail! That's what I said, just more specific with a historical context. I said the Gov tends to protect groups instead of people.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
Liberals are for limiting executive's pay and retirement pensions, maybe it's time to limit public employee pay and pensions.
Here's one for ya, thundley. Union isn't mentioned in this article but methinks it has the stench of union all over it-
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/outcast_cops_still_rake_it_in_EMeVwxuQ88iHPN4LgCyf5O
Steal it for a thread if you like  :naughty:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:31:57 PM by FreeBorn »

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline zeitgeist

BY Roni Reino
rreino@fosters.com
Friday, March 18, 2011

Not a bad pay day for the chief but I bet with just a little effort we could find more.  Our former seacoastconnects host, seacoastonline (aka teh Herald) has had some pretty good editorials lately. They also usually have the salaries paid here in P_town but this year they seem to have missed the school department.  Hard to believe they might be getting religion. Makes me wonder if they are actually a union shop over at teh Herald. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

Not a bad pay day for the chief but I bet with just a little effort we could find more.  Our former seacoastconnects host, seacoastonline (aka teh Herald) has had some pretty good editorials lately. They also usually have the salaries paid here in P_town but this year they seem to have missed the school department.  Hard to believe they might be getting religion. Makes me wonder if they are actually a union shop over at teh Herald. 

The way they were fawning over the "faux"-testers a few weeks ago really removed any doubt.