Author Topic: 'Che' brand irks Guevara's children (paging Rebel)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
'Che' brand irks Guevara's children (paging Rebel)
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
 :-)

Two of Ernesto "Che" Guevara's children said Thursday they were tired of seeing their father's image used to sell everything from T-shirts to vodka, calling the growth of the revolutionary as a global super-brand "embarrassing."

Aleida Guevara, the eldest of Guevara's four children by his second wife, Cuban revolutionary Aleida March, said the commercialization of her father's image contributed to tension between rich and poor in some countries.

"Something that bothers me now is the appropriation of the figure of Che that has been used to make enemies from different classes. It's embarrassing," she wrote during an Internet forum sponsored by Cuba's government ahead of what would have been her father's 80th birthday on June 14.

Born to a well-to-do family in Argentina in 1928, Guevara helped Fidel Castro overthrow Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista in 1959. But he was executed in 1967 while trying to foment a similar revolution in Bolivia.

He has since become a pop icon, considered a symbol of rebellion even 40 years after his death, thanks to an iconic 1960 portrait by Cuban photographer Alberto Korda. Variations of the image, featuring Guevara with a defiant stare and starred beret, can now be found the world over, on T-shirts, posters, coffee mugs and refrigerator magnets.

Guevara's children took Internet queries for two hours, fielding questions from users in Qatar, Argentina and Brazil, as well as Cuba, where both live.

Aleida Guevara was asked about the use of her father's image to sell British vodka and French soft drinks. She decried those campaigns as well one in Switzerland that uses his likeness to peddle cell phones.

"We don't want money, we demand respect," wrote Guevara, who is a trained physician like her father.

Cuba erected a bronze statue of Guevara in the city of Santa Clara, site of his key military victory on New Year's Eve 1958, which helped prompt Batista to flee the island and usher Castro into power.

A towering likeness of him also adorns Havana's Revolution Plaza and his picture and quotations are found on billboards across the country.

But Cuba's communist government also has worked hard to make money off of the revolutionary's image, stocking tourist shops with T-shirts, postcards and other trinkets bearing his face and three-letter signature.

Despite that, Guevara's son Camilo said he supported Fidel's younger brother Raul, who succeeded him as president in February.

The younger Castro waited 49 years to become Cuba's leader, and Guevara said "it would be stupid not to take advantage of all that experience."

"The vote of any citizen is secret, (but) I'll make mine public: YES FOR RAUL," Guevara wrote.

Actor Benicio Del Toro recently won best actor at the Cannes Film Festival for his portrayal of Guevara in Steven Soderbergh's 4 1/2 hour "Che." Presented as two films, "Che" follows Guevara and Castro's triumphant guerrilla campaign to overthrow Batista's government as well as Guevara's downfall and execution.

Guevara's son and daughter said Thursday they had not yet seen the films.

"I think Hollywood making its version of his life is positive, as long as they are objective and faithful to real life," Camilo Guevara wrote.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=5009440
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline bijou

Re: 'Che' brand irks Guevara's children (paging Rebel)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »

I can't imagine what they are complaining about.  :rotf:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I guess seeing all of those suburban white kids sporting his face is just too much. Personally I love it!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »

Stupid propaganda!
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »
Hey wait a minute!

I like this one!

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
Hey wait a minute!

I like this one!

Oops. Dunno how that got in there?  :uhsure:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »

ZOMG! I HAVE to get one of those for my next trip to Ft. Lewis, the Sea-Tac-Oly area!  :hyper:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »

ZOMG! I HAVE to get one of those for my next trip to Ft. Lewis, the Sea-Tac-Oly area!  :hyper:

I pretty sure i ripped that off from The Peoples Cube but who knows. Their likely is a T-Shirt. LOL

- Ayn Rand